Thanks Ron for the periodic updates. Looks like they’re doing a really professional job . Steve
As the sanding progressed they found some more rusty spots in places we hadn’t expected it
But in a few weeks I’ll have a rust free car in my garage.
rusty door
making the patch panel
cutting the bad spot from the door
a little rust on the rear valance
the shop
keep them motivated, Ron. You are almost “there”!
Roger
I do keep them motivated as much as I can ![]()
But I must correct you, they are almost there. When they are there our work starts. We have to build everything up again and we don’t have much time, our webmaster will be here on May 21st for an inspection and a test drive ![]()
Ron
hadn’t heard that Dan and Marie were headed that way again. I heard that Information Tech is one industry that is positive in this market!
It will be one huge rush for you to get that car back together in time!
Roger, in my job, sometimes it just pays to know where all the bodies are buried! ![]()
Yup, we’re off to Spain to see Marie’s daughter, Mariel, who’s been hangin’ out in Barcelona. Then on to Porto to catch up with Stefan in Fafe and see the Portugese sights. Next stop: Brussels, where we’ll meet up with Ron and then onto Poortvliet to see his new digs.
Can’t wait!
Dan
Hey Dan.. good to hear you’re coming to Poortvliet.
Hope we can visit a car meeting when you’re in oll dutch.
I’m sure Ron’s Plymouth will look stunning ![]()
Hi guys,
Sorry it took so long
But we made a lot of progress in the last couple of weeks
![]()
Today the first (base) coat of paint was sprayed on the car! Well actually it has 3 coats of paint now and it is really starting to look good. I have been in the paint booth all day and I even did my share of the work, masking everything and I had my first lesson in professional painting. It wasn’t too bad but it is certainly not as easy as it looks.
Next Saturday the car will be ready to get a nicer colour and get finished with clear coat.
Ron
in the paint booth
cleaning and degreasing
the proffesional at work
Matthew has to do his share too!
and gets some instructions
must have been good instructions
done for today
unveiling
OK?
Out in the sun
I love it!!!
Ron and Matthew,
Those pictures certainly tell SOME of teh story, and are very exciting to see!
(why doesnt Matthew wear a respirator while painting?)
It is wonderful to see the progress!
Roger
Roger,
There was no need to wear a respirator. The booth is so well ventilated and fitered that we didn’t even smell the paint while we were in there.
Sprying one layer takes only 10 to 15 minutes and then you get out of it while the air is filtered. When you get in again you can’t even smell the paint.
YES! I am really happy that the job is almost done now
In about two weeks we will have it back home and we can start building it up again. A lot of work but I think we will be done by the end of May.
Ron
..and TOTALLY worth all your efforts!
(It will be white over red again, yes?)
It’ll be totally worth all our efforts. And even nowI don’t know the total price yet I think that it will also be worth the amount of money i invest in it ![]()
The colour scheme will be exactly the same as it was. We have thought about painting it the origional iceberg white but I do like the red too much for that. It will get another option after my trip to Philly this summer, a pair of newly rechrromed bumper wings are waiting for me ![]()
Ron
Oh yes, from the Texas a/c car. You will be very happy with them..they add a lot to the overalll appearance.
Are you set for trim? you had one damaged insert and something else?
Ohmigosh, Ron, it looks like it got snatched from the factory floor. I can’t wait to see more pix! I swear I saw those bumper wings in the basement twitching…
Dan
I notice you are not painting the firewall at this time. Hopefully the new red paint won’t clash with the existing red paint?
Ron, Looks great! The panel replacement work was masterful! Truely craftsman at work! Teh car comes together well with a uniform Base coat of Primer on it! Looks like you will be in paint before my convert is done. We finished the 2nd block sanding on mine on Friday night and hopefully Saturday we put some turquoise on my 59.
I have the 413 RB done and am detailing it now, This 413 has AC on it so the brackets are all mixed up! Alternator on the Drivers side and AC on the passengers side. It was a 1960 413RB out of a New Yorker. I am keeping the AC to have an underdash delivery of Cool air.
Keep the pictures coming of yours! I need to hustle to get mine done before you get here in June! ![]()
John
Maybe you posted this info earlier, and I missed it. This is the first I’ve heard you are putting in a 413 and painting your car turquoise!
Is this a factory '59 Plymouth color you have chosen, or something else?
Hey, Roger, My car did not come with a motor in it when I go the car in Montana, My friend here in Denver area, who has a 61 300G, had a spare rebuildable 413 that he taken out of his sisters 60 New Yorker back in the early 90’s. The car had only 85K on the odometer but the motor had sat so long the oil went to solid sludge. So time to rebuild!
I dropped the motor off after breaking it down last summer and had it bore .040 (it only needed .010) but I got a deal on some .040 pistons, so we did it to that size, Crank needed only polishing, Heads were good but put unleaded seats in the valves after boiling them out, Motor was assembled at the machine shop and was painted a bronze color with black valve covers, I am running a 4 bbl carter on it with the 1960 cast Iron TF that it had originally come with (the 413 that is). I will post a picture of the motor in day or so.
My wife and I were going to paint it a 57 Dodge Le Feme Pink. (her choice) But after painting the dash frame for a trial look (looked like Bubble gum) we went with the 1959 Turquoise Duco 4021,(Dulux #93-83832/ Chrysler part number 3261-ES) that was available for Plymouth’s in 1959. According to this Du Pont chart I have from 1959, this particular shade was for Plymouth only but I’m sure a special order request could be had on any model car. The Duco shade 4021 could be had for Chrysler’s but it is slightly different pigmentation from the Duco 4021. What do you think of the color?
I have not seen any other Turquiose 59 Converts so I thought it would stand out on my Belvedere. I hope I am right! I am to buy the paint this week and hope it looks good!
John Q.
Though you can barley see the dash frame in my convert, in the drivers seat,it has has the Turquiose paint on it but is a poor picture. I will get my body.paint man to take a better picture of the color choosen. Hopefully the color is pleasing to all…
John Q
well, I am probably putting my foot in my mouth, but isn’t Tom Fox’s Belv cvt done in Seafoam Green, a sort of turquoise? (I dont have the color chips at hand, so forgive me Tom if I accidentally insulted your car)





