repaint!

A lot happened lately!

I fixed the power brakes, there was a vacuum leak where the 3 hoses got together.
Replaced the vacuum tank with a tank with 2 connections and replaced the hoses.
Still need to make pics.
I switched the front plate of the brake booster as mine was a lot better.


On the left the one that was on the booster, on the right my freshly painted one


Got the seat back in and this is the result with the carpet


And finally we got our taillights back! New chrome on them make them a lot better looking.
Had to paint the inside of the housing silver. 1 done


Beauty pic


And got them all back together. Still need to have the light bulb sockets but we ordered them today. Also need to install the gasket but will do that when the bulbs go in. I cleaned the reflectors and putted in new lenses to finish it.

Matthew,
Are you buying your lightbulb sockets thru Dan Morton?

We found them on e-bay

What’s on the Wish List for repairs this year?

We have a short list now:
we do need a new glass for the mirror-matic we have, case is excellent but the glass has some blemishes
new interior (this winter)
new set of points, I still have the same points in the car. Bought it in 2001 and drove about 3-4000 miles per year with it. Not a bad score I guess.

Other than that I don’t know what else we can do… but things will come up for sure.

And then we have Andre’s car, we want to get his car running as well as mine. He wants to try a new carb on it as we both believe that the problem comes from the carb. If anyone has a good 4bbl for a 59 383 engine for sale please let me know.

Ron

Ron,
What a coincidence..I have a Carter 4 bbl carb, orignally from a 1959 Chrysler Saratoga 383. It needs a general rebuild, but it is not stuck or broken, as far as I can tell.
I could have it rebuilt here, then ship to you. I will email you pix, as I am still too stubborn /lazy to learn how to post pics on this Forum.

Roger, thanks for the offer!! I will call Andre this weekend and ask him what he wants, he can see the pictures in this topic:

Hi Matthew - I’m going to pick up my bumpers today and bringing the tailights to get a price on rechroming. I’m assuming you have to remove all the sockets etc. How difficult is it to remove them and what was your cost in dollars in haveing yours rechromed if you don’t mind sharing. I’m assuming it’s quite expensive. Really can’t wait for you to get here, I have a nice old quilt right next to the lift post where you will be chained. Oh, I greased the chain so you won’t have any chafing, so you should be quite comfortable.
Dick.

Dick, if you remove the lenses you can see a little lip. That is the lip holding the socket into the housing.
You can try to bend them up to get the socket out. I tookma hammer and gave the sockets some taps to the side so the lip bend a little bit. Then I did the rest with a screwdriver.
Be very careful with the hammer! I tried it on an old housing first. If you do it too much/hard the housing can crack!
Do you have replacement sockets?
It was around $500 for both of them to rechrome.

I’ll be fine with that. As long as there are some drinks and food I’ll be ok :laughing:

Dick, I know better as I paid for it… the total cost of rechroming the taillights was € 200. But we discovered that one of the parts had a crack after we got it back so I sent out another bezel and that cost another € 50. With the current USD/Euro rate that is about $350.

Ron

It was €300 :mrgreen:

Matthew/Ron - Just got back from picking up my Show Quality Bumpers $500 Rear, $550 Front, Wings $140 each, Guards $75 each. Not cheap but the Best Reputation around. They came out wonderfully. The price they gave me on the Taillight is: $75 for side extensions, $100 for Bezels, $180 for main housing. Total $355 a side. They have no deep pitting, just pin prick spots but a lot of them. I asked about taking the sockets out and he said all I had to do was cut the wires take the guts out and leave the metal parts of the socket in the housing. After plating all I have to do is insert the contacts and solder the wires back together. Sounds like a plan to me. Don’t you wish you had thought of that. heh, heh. I figure the price is pretty good considering I got a price from a company in Orlando a couple of years ago that specializes in chrome plating pot metal. He wanted $800 per side.
Dick

Although good in theory, when the parts get re-plated, the sockets also get a coating, and now the bulbs won’t fit. Best to rip the sockets out now, get a thorough chrome job, then install new sockets. :slight_smile:

Dick, don’t overdue on the quilt part…and a short chain is best! Trust me! :laughing:

John Q.

[quote=“Matthew Keij”]Dick, if you remove the lenses you can see a little lip. That is the lip holding the socket into the housing.

Matthew, Only some food and drink? - With all the work Dick has waiting for you - you’d better ask for a 24 buffett or at least room service!

Curt

Dick what company did you use for bumpers???

I had heard North Star was the best - not sure if they are even around any more!

Hi Curt - I just finished mounting (on the car) the bumpers and they are absolutey show quality. I will send pictures later. They told me 2 to 3 months but it was exactly 2 month. Ask for Sandy Pratt.

The Company is:

Spacecoast Plating
975 Aurora Road
Melbourne, Fl. 32935

Ph: 321-254-2880
Fax: 321-254-9115

www.spacecoast-plating.com

As far as a buffet for Matthew, I already have that planned. He will have at his disposal 24/7 a five gallon bucket briming with delecious Gruell.

Roger - There is a substance they apply to areas that are not to receive plating. Note the interior of the housing in the pictures above, matthew had to paint with silver paint.
Dick.

well then, that would seem to be the way to proceed :slight_smile:

Just as with John Fowlie’s thread, I snagged all the Photobucket photos for the amazing “Repaint!” thread by the Keij’s, and redid it in gallery style. It’s so worth rereading again for the fun of it! Kudos for craftmanship. Now, on to the next Photobucket thread…

Hoping to give mine a new look.Not so sure of the best color.Her original color is silver.I used isopropyl alcohol at full strength and it permanently caused damage to the paint.I’ll go with black.

Greetings, “SelmaAdam”! What’s your name, where do you live? Can you tell us a bit about yourself, and show us some pix of your car?