Where "clunkers" go to die

Your banter here!
Nighthawk

Where "clunkers" go to die

Post by Nighthawk »

I read this today on the Chicago Tribunes website, i find it so sad to see perfectly good "older " cars and trucks end their life like this, be sure to watch the video.
The "enviro" types and others who love to hate people like us must be in their glory these days.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 8035.story

Bob
rogerh

Re: Where "clunkers" go to die

Post by rogerh »

A lot about this plan makes very little sense to me.
The scrap metal goes where? China. They are really the only country with a growing economy. Meanwhile the majority of new cars being bought are foreign because they are, as a group, highest in MPG. Then there is the energy required to scrap and recycle a car, plus more energy and raw materials to make new cars. It doesn't add up in my mind. More than any other government deal, this one is a subsidy.
big m

Post by big m »

Yet another misguided attempt at jumpstarting the economy. I see no long term gain to this, any environmental benefits regarding MPG gain are offset far more by manufacturing new vehicles.

I've been known to aggravate more than a few of the 'enviro' folks just by explaining how restoring an old car is the best form of recycling, over the better fuel mileage of the hybrid cars with all their battery packs and plastic parts.

---John
In rust we trust!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

big m wrote:Yet another misguided attempt at jumpstarting the economy. I see no long term gain to this, any environmental benefits regarding MPG gain are offset far more by manufacturing new vehicles.

I've been known to aggravate more than a few of the 'enviro' folks just by explaining how restoring an old car is the best form of recycling, over the better fuel mileage of the hybrid cars with all their battery packs and plastic parts.

---John
I go out of my way to aggravate the "enviro" types, the "greenies" and the Prius fans whenever possible,when i tell them my old Plymouth and my old Chev get about 18 to 20 miles a gallon (which they do) they look at me like im from the moon, but too bad for them.
My reg vehicle is a GMC pickup and i will continue to drive vehicles like that,itll be a cold day in hell when some politician tries to tell me that i should have a hybrid or some rice rocket because of perceived higher MPG or enviromental factors.
It just galls me to see all the perfectly good older cars being scrapped the way they are in that video :(

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

While it can't be argued that new cars are indeed "better" in fuel economy and safety, it is undeniable that creating the new cars causes pollution and uses natural resources.
Taking an existing car off the road and scrapping it takes energy, causes pollution, adds to landfills and sends raw materials overseas, where we have to buy it back again.
I don't feel the need to taunt the "enviro" types and create more division there. But cash for clunkers only applies to those who qualify for and can afford to take on a new car payment. I can't cover a new car payment. I can't even get credit, even though my credit rating is 740+.
Folks like me could benefit from an affordable "used" car, but no, they are getting crushed. It's the "Haves" versus the "Have Nots". I can see how this gives some little boost to those surviving new car dealers and to the manufacturers of new cars. But shouldn't it be for American-built cars only?
I can only hope that Obama comes up with a plan to help folks like me who need their mtge dialed down a bit. ($4500 would pay my mtge for 3 months, which would REALLY help)
johndglynn

Post by johndglynn »

Nighthawk wrote:
big m wrote:Yet another misguided attempt at jumpstarting the economy. I see no long term gain to this, any environmental benefits regarding MPG gain are offset far more by manufacturing new vehicles.

---John
I go out of my way to aggravate the "enviro" types, the "greenies" and the Prius fans whenever possible,when i tell them my old Plymouth and my old Chev get about 18 to 20 miles a gallon (which they do) they look at me like im from the moon, but too bad for them.
My reg vehicle is a GMC pickup and i will continue to drive vehicles like that,itll be a cold day in hell when some politician tries to tell me that i should have a hybrid or some rice rocket because of perceived higher MPG or enviromental factors.
It just galls me to see all the perfectly good older cars being scrapped the way they are in that video :(

Bob
hi mate since your reg vehicle is a gmc do you have gmc parts available? I need an authentic or an oem mirror for my car. If you have any suggestion please. Thanks
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

My "regular" vehicle when I wrote this comment in 2009 was a 2001 GMC Sierra pickup truck, I now have a 2010 Chev Silverado pickup, so i dont think I'd have the parts you'd need!