Caveat Emptor

eBay is where to find that elusive part!
Faulkner

Caveat Emptor

Post by Faulkner »

Ed Eckerson posted this on the [59plymouth] mailing list:
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 7:09 AM
To: 59PLYMOUTH@59sportfury.net
Subject: [59plymouth] BE AWARE!

Hello List

I noticed an interesting WHITE GOLDEN COMMANDO SPORT FURY on ebay this morning.

BE AWARE that the S/N indicates a 'NEWARK DELEWARE' built BELVEDERE V8

ED ECKERSON
LI NY
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Ed just confirmed my doubts this morning. I didn’t realise or check the S/N but it seemed a little strange to me that this good looking car (obviously a real Sport Fury) did have the Belvedere Steering wheel and no holes in the clove box. Here is what else caught my attention:

- Looking at the floor pans it seems that this car has been professionally restored. Compared to the engine compartment and the transmission oil pan the floor pans are almost too good to be 47 years old. (Correct me if I’m wrong)
- The odometer shows only 5.031 miles – maybe it already flipped over. But then again the car looks too good for an unrestored 105.031 miles car.
- The colour of the steering column matches to the steering wheel, but not to the dashboard
- The “Fury” sing between the rear seats is not there

About the rest: Everything little detail that distinguishes a real Sport Fury is there. Maybe an old SF was the donor to this Belvedere?

Stefan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The VIN is the tip-off..If, as Ed Eckerson determined, the VIN says it is a Belvedere, then the Motor Vehicle Department will call it a Belvedere.

The Ebay car displays a STANDARD steering wheel, typical of Belvederes. All Sport Furies had the DELUXE steering wheel. The Sport Fury also came equipped with dash pad, and dash plaque. The car has no power brakes, but I suppose you could order it that way. As for the missing SCRIPT LOGO (Fury) at the rear package tray, the restoration shop couldnt reproduce it, it would seem. I agree with the analysis of the floor pans..they are not original..but hten they disclosed that information (sort of) in the listing. The 361 Golden Commando engine was an option in models other than Sport Fury.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hmmm.... Could this SF and the one Alex Lehr refers to here:

http://59plymouth.net/59forum/viewtopic.php?p=3966#3966

...be one and the same?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"