Trunk - For what purpose are these sheet metals?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
sportfury1959

Trunk - For what purpose are these sheet metals?

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello All,

This picture shows the section between the trunk and the rear seat. Does anyone know why and for what purpose these sheet metals are placed here? It seems to be a pocket but it is not visible from the trunk side and apparently serves only to get hurt on the edges. On the other hand the automotive industry does nothing without a special purpose.

Stefan
Trunk.JPG
big m

Post by big m »

I would imagine that piece of sheet metal is just a reinforcement for where the deck braces join the lower body. ---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

also functions as additional support for rear seat back springs...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

No Roger,

I'm not talking about the big bars that support the seat. I was talking about the little sheet metal (exactly where the arrow points - wiht the two points/holes). They seem to be a kind of pocket for somenthing, but John is probably richt.

Stefan
Denver 59 Fin Convert

rear brace in old post

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Stefan, I have seen an old 59 Fury in the salvage yard years ago that had the optional rear speaker mounted to that bracing. John
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Interesting! If I understand you correctly, the speaker "sound" was directed straight into the rear seat cushion...since I cant hear my radio speaker at 50 mph, and it is located on the dash...I cant imagine how such a location (behind the seat) would work..
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I have seen this optional speaker package for sale on E-Bay berfore, The one I saw here in Colorado was mounted facing to the front part of the car and yes it's sound would be directed into the rear verticle cavity of the vertical seat, The sound would be muffled but probably would sound alright for the rear seat passengers to hear. Maybe not.. Who knows...
Again, It's not on my Convert, but what I saw was on a salvage car. Of course I would put it on the rear package tray if it was for my hardtop.

John
Arvada,Colo