Mid-Century Modern (MCM)!

Your banter here!
william0431

Mid-Century Modern (MCM)!

Post by william0431 »

I have not been able to make it to Modernism week, it always seemed to fall right in the middle of a field exercise or a deployment. So I missed is 6 years in a row, But the wife and I would jet out to Palm Springs all the time when I was home, we did a couple of the tours and got plenty of pool side sun :D Idream of the day I can rocket out there in the Sport Fury!! Life goal. Glad you were able to find the window part :D
william0431

Re: Proud '59 Belvedere Owner

Post by william0431 »

Not to side bar too far off, but If you have been to modernism week I'm guessing the inside of your home is probably just as spectacular as the outside!! My house in Oceanside was built in 1955 but was victim of a "renovation" just prior to me buying it. It got the standard home Depot make over and sadly all the original touches like tile and cabinets and fixtures were replaced. But we made the best of it with paint and filled it with MCM Furniture. When we got 3 year orders we were allowed to have 2100lbs of home goods shipped here. So I extremely carefully shipped some of my furniture here and recreated a little palm Springs vibe right here in base housing haha.

I would love to hear more about your 1959 home, who designed it, and if it is still original. I fallow a few MCM Facebook pages and there are some amazing homes in Ohio!!! Might have to start a new off topic, much ado about nothing thread haha! I know another member Mark Walters has a fantastic collection of MCM to go with "Audrey" his gorgeous bronze poly Sport Fury and he is about the snazzy'est dresser you have ever seen!
received_10156394627889281.jpeg
Here is some of the furniture we brought with us, all blonde formica end tables and a 1958 Kohler couch set
FB_IMG_1526872206341.jpg
Here is my wife showing off one of my favorite pices that got left behind in storage, it's a 1958 Zenith Space Command 400. First year of the "clicker" remote and works perfectly!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

You guys are too kool for skool. I just figured out MCM means "Mid-Century Modern"! It's too bad Mary Kay doesn't dig it; when we merged our households, the '40's era Dumont had to go. AM/TV/78 turntable all in one cabinet, with Magic Eye tuner. It all worked! Jimmy Rawa now has it... (*sigh*). But I digress.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
GaryBitner

Post by GaryBitner »

Hey, Dan. "Forward Look" = MCM in carspeak. Time for a new MCM thread to get it out from under this "Proud '59" thread. You want it in "Much Ado" or somewhere else? Will is right, I've got more house to show. And Modernism Week banter. And more about wackos like me who buy cars made famous on '50s TV shows to park in front of their MCM houses. Okay, I can tell some of the serious car guys are rolling their eyes about now, but we're talking serious potential Plymouth price appreciation here and they'll come around in time.

Speaking of price appreciation, did you see the insane numbers on the Forward Look Chryslers at Mecum Indy yesterday? $300K for a New Yorker? Staluppi was in the front row buying as many Forward Look Chrysler rag tops as he could get, after he sold his Fury at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach for $135K. Yowza!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Wow! How could I miss this Belvy! I’ve seen pics of it before when it was for sale though.

If there is any decoding or info you need, let me know.

The $300k New Yorker vert went to Mike McCandless I think. He has an amazing collection of forward looks
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Re: Mid-Century Modern (MCM)!

Post by Faulkner »

Well, I certainly screwed that up, splitting and moving the topic - kinda sorted out now. You're right, Gary, we hijacked your thread. Our minds do wander!

Dan
GaryBitner

Post by GaryBitner »

Self-hijacked, Dan. Thanks for jumping on it. Will's pretty pix needed a particularly prominent Plymouth post position. (I can't help myself, sorry.) More pix to come.

Matthew, the car and all the docs with the numbers are in Ohio and I'm in Florida. I'll be reunited with them in early June and will definitely appreciate your help in learning whatever I can, thanks.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Gary, Matthew is the resident Encyclopedia of ALL THINGS 59 Plymouth! As much as he knows about them you'd think he had worked the assembly line in 59!

Dan, at least you know its in good hands with James Rawa, just like his car collection he has an equally impressive jukebox and console collection! :shock: I think tonight I am going to go home and warm up the Orthophonic Hi-Fi and run through my Henry Mancini LP collection :ugeek:

Boy, Mecum got kind of crazy with the prices! When that red 59 Convert sold for 135k that had to have been the most expensive 59 Plymouth ever right?!?!? Good news for any red 59 Plymouth Convertible owners out there ;) Is Mike's collection posted on line any where? I'm curious to see what all he has now.
GaryBitner

Post by GaryBitner »

Henry Mancini!!! MCM maestro. Musical mastermind behind Peter Gunn, the Pink Panther, Breakfast at Tiffany's and most other work by Blake Edwards. I salute Mancini's hometown of Aliquippa every time I fly into Pittsburgh and head to Ohio via I-376, when I'm usually listening to my Pandora station set to Peter Gunn. We need to find out if Mancini drove a '59 Sport Fury, too.

Will, your overseas MCM shrine is AWESOME. And your sweet-as-can-be spouse is right out of Mad Men. Can you say Joan Holloway? I want to be at Modernism Week with you two. And our '59 Plymouths!
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Awww Shucks thanks Gary. My favorite albums are his two Peter Gunn albums and the music from Mr. Lucky but every thing he did was gold. I have just about his entire collection, I just a few weeks back picked up a Herb Alpert and TJ brass band album I really dig that I have been working in to the rotation. One of the great things about living in Japan believe it or not is the great MCM antique stores here. The Japanese love 1950's American culture so they take trips to the states and will hand select all the best quality antiques and ship a containers worth here. There are several stores here in Naha that my wife and I love!!! The great thing is the quality of every thing is beyond belief, mint original many times still in the box new! The prices are slightly higher than you would find in the states on the same quality item but not by that much maybe a 25% mark up on most things. The yen to USD conversion is slightly in our favor so it kind of mitigates the cost a bit. So we have actually picked up quite a few things since being here. were going to have to shed some weight for our household goods shipment when it comes time to move home but not much.

Cant wait to see your place!!! When is the next Modernism week? I feel like it just happened a few weeks ago.
GaryBitner

Post by GaryBitner »

Atomic! And pretty hokey, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLErFiy_ZOM
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yeah. I love rockets that lift off sideways! Until I port this stuff to the Forum, you can find a lot of that content here... You'll need something that can play Windows Media Format (.wmv) though - they will play with Internet Explorer. When I move them over, I'll convert to mp4's.