Heater Vacuum Controls

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Faulkner

Heater Vacuum Controls

Post by Faulkner »

Here's a really interesting video on how heater vacuum controls work in our '59 Plymouths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpl2pV5Eam8

The video refers to a company that actually rebuilds the units - more about that in a minute. Here's another video about how to test your vacuum control motors with nothing more than a fluid transfer pump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpY9dbfKFo

I ended up buying a transfer pump from Amazon - here's a link.

Now, for a conversation I had with Keith Simons of Grady Research. Keith's email address is removed here to protect from bots, but you can decipher as ksimons at gradyresearch dot com.
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2018 10:20 PM
To: Keith Simons
Subject: '59 Fury heater vacuum switch

Hi Keith,

I run a website for ’59 Plymouths. My own ’59 Sport Fury has a non-functioning heater system which I am trying to put back together. I’m told that you rebuild heater vacuum switches. I have at least two that I’ve bought over the years, in addition to the one that’s still in the dash. If I sent you pictures, could you evaluate and tell me if one or more of them might be salvageable?

I am sure that several members of my Forum would similarly be interested.

Thanks
Dan
www.59plymouth.net/59forum
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 8:51 AM
To: Dan Morton
Subject: Re: '59 Fury heater vacuum switch

Hi Dan

We do indeed rebuild the heater switches for the Chrysler's and the Plymouth should be the same. Take a picture and send it to me. Two things to look out. If it is an AC car look around the electrical connections to see if there is any plastic that looks like it melted. If so It may not be rebuildable. The other area is the vacuum nipples. Be very careful taking hose ends off ans they break real easy. If a few are broken I can replace them with brass ones. If it is an AC car I may not have all the cams inside as I did one a month ago and for the first time it had a cam shape that we have not made before.
Keith

Keith Simons
Project Manager

Ice House Partners
Grady Research
323 West Main Street
Ayer, MA 01432

Ph. 978-772-3303
Fax 978-772-0033
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 11:47 AM
To: Keith Simons

Keith,

No A/C in my car.

I've attached pix of two units I have, I think the first is better than the second, but I'm not sure what might be going on in the inside. Both have all their pins, and no sign of melting. Should I send them both to you to evaluate? Do you need me to send the female connector as well?

Is there a trick to removing the button extenders? I didn't want to force them, but I can't remove the metal bracket with them installed.

Dan
mypic1.jpg
mypic2.jpg
mypic3.jpg

Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 3:25 PM
To: Dan Morton

Hi Dan

Perfect, what goes wrong with them is the fiber board cams they use break down over the years due to the grease inside getting hard. Then the cams will not slide and they get destroyed. We CNC [computer numerically controlled] machine new cams out of delrin and clean out the vacuum ports and electrical contacts. See attached for an idea of what's inside. The button extensions you should be able to pull off with a slight side to side motion. If you want to send them along I will open them up to confirm but normal rebuild without vacuum nipple replacement is $85 plus shipping.

Keith
DSC00563.JPG
DSC00564.JPG
DSC00566.JPG

Off they both go in tomorrow's mail! I'm pretty sure the one still in Faulkner's dash has the pins snapped off, but I may recycle the buttons - I will see.

Dan

IMG_5451.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
william0431

Re: Heater Vacuum Controls

Post by william0431 »

Dan, Good to know! I know for a fact mine will need rebuilt. Keep us posted when you get them back.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Will do! I'll be testing the switch like in the video, with all the vacuum motors, and using the transfer pump that came yesterday. The black tubing on the left is what came with the pump, the one on the right I snipped off of a spare connector - I'll need to get a coupler at Ace or AutoZone to test the motors.
IMG_5460.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

(Note to self: This is how the buttons go back!)

IMG_5450.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Keith Simons - Grady Research wrote:Hi Dan
Your switches are complete and will go out in in Friday's mail and you should get them Monday. No surprises, a few of the vacuum ports were clogged and some of the cams were worn and the typical hardened grease that makes them hard to move. I am attaching a few inside photos so you can see the inner workings. If you have any problems do not hesitate to ask.
Keith
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Nice Dan! Just what you need this time of year, a little heat :D :D :D stay warm out there
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The heater vacuum control switches arrived today, and they operate beautifully! So smooth... I'll install one, and put the other in inventory - but if there's another owner out there who desperately needs one, let me know. I know Dick doesn't need one - what's the temp on the back porch, Dick? :roll:
IMG_5541.jpg