recast steering wheels

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
schlaaj

Re: recast steering wheels

Post by schlaaj »

Yes, my steering wheel on my 59 Ply also cost $1800. In the cost, all the plastic was removed and the metal frame sent out for rechrome which means the chrome plating place has to remove old chrome on the core before new chrome is applied. Also, in the case of the Ply SF Wheel there are two small chrome pieces (near the handle grips) that had to also be replated. Then the plastic for the handle grips has to be matched to ones interior for the correct shade. After the handle grips are cast, the last step is to cast the clear plastic, and D&D told me that there is a lot of hand work to do on the wheel after casting and before it can be shipped. So there is a fair amount of expense involved. Yes the cost may be high but the quality of work is very good. Having a top notch looking steering wheel in the car is so very important to give first impression when displaying or selling. I have seen older wheels that the clear material has aged and has yellowed considerably and mabey even cracked. If I see a steering wheel covered in leather, red flags come to mind.

If you want to try and do your own recasting, I have found on the internet how to make a casting mold that splits apart to extract a molded wheel. You pour (inject ? ) the liquid plastic into the cavity and then wait until it hardens. I recall locating a place up in Michigan that can supply you with everything needed but that was a few years ago and I don't have the name anymore. For me I didn't have the time or place to do it. So I decided to have it done by D&D.
schlaaj

Re: recast steering wheels - new owner

Post by schlaaj »

A new owner has now taken over D&D Automobilia for recasting steering wheels. (This is the 3rd time the business has been sold) D & D Automobilia was started by Don & Donna Eash, of Mt Airey, N.C. and ran the business until 2017. The new company retaining the same name (D&D Automobilia) was taken over by Bob Denault of Lincolnton, N.C who continued on with the business until 2021. D&D Autombilia is now owned by Dave Bowman, of Charlotte, N.C. who continues on with steering wheel restorations. Dave Bowman's contact number in Charlotte is 704-650-4632 for anyone who might be interested. (The 2nd owner Bob Denault of Lincolnton did my steering wheel and had done beautiful work) I have recently spoken to Bob Denault - a super nice guy and he said decided to retire from steering wheel restoration. (You can see pictures of my recasted steering wheel in previous post ) I have no experience with the new D & D Automobilia of Charlotte, N.C., although Bob tells me the new owner is carrying on with the restoration business.

Art Schlachter
Danville, Ky
Faulkner

Re: recast steering wheels - new owner

Post by Faulkner »

schlaaj wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 pm A new owner has now taken over D&D Automobilia for recasting steering wheels.
Wow!

Thanks for the update, Art.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"