Back to 59!

59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

Back to 59!

Post by 59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER »

Hello. My name is Brian from NC. I have been interested in late 50's Chrysler products ever since I saw that particular horror movie when I was in high school. Anyhow, there was a man that had a 1957 Plymouth convert. in my town and I met him one day when I was about 16. At his house he had a 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. It needed total restoring. I fell in love with that car right off. He sold it to me for a hundred bucks. He gave me enough extra trim for 2 cars. At that age though I had no idea how to fix anything nor the money to do so. I ended up selling that car to someone up in VA. A hundred dollar bill wouldn't touch that car today. Wish I had kept it.
Flash forward to today. Nearly 25 years has passed which is so hard to believe. Nov. 16, 2013 I went to PA and brought back a 1959 Plymouth Savoy 4dr. sedan. She is a plain Jane and needs lots of work but she was in my price range. She has a flat 6 with 3 speed manual trans. No power options. The man I bought her from was going to put her in a demolition derby.
I look forward to working on this car and driving her around. I am thankful I found this forum and hope it will be useful when I need to find a part or need some help.
I'll post a photo sometime if I can ever figure out how.
rogerh

Re: Back to 59!

Post by rogerh »

Thank you for sparing her from the Demo Derby!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hello Brian - Welcome aboard. Be glad you found this site, lots of wonderful and helpful people with beautiful 59's. Almost any subject you want to know about can be found by typing it in the (search) box in above right corner. You can bet that once you detail it and go to some car shows you will get a lot of nice comments and you can also bet your car will be the only one like it at the show in a sea of Fords and Chevy's. Almost any thing you need can be found on ebay or junk yards and drive train parts can be found at your local parts houses. Good luck with you new car and post those pictures soon so we can see it.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Welcome to the forum Brian! You will find all the help you need on this forum, there is always someone who knows where to find that part or give technical advise. I am no help when it comes to technical advise but I do know how to post pictures:
Once you wrote a message you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and you see a button "upload image" Click that and tou will see a new button "browse". Find the picture you want to post and double click it and than click the "add the file" button. Then sit back and relax as this might take a while depending on the size of the picture. To make sure you did it right you can use the preview button before you submit the message and the picture.You can add lots of pictures to a post if you want, I know we want you to :lol:

Hope this is enough info for you to upload a picture, if not let me know and I sure we can work it out. It might take some time before I respond though as I am spending 2 weeks in Florida right now. Only one more week before I fly back home :(

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

010.JPG
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

006.JPG
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

009.JPG
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

011.JPG
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

001.JPG
59PLYMOUTH-DREAMER

Thanks Ron for the info on posting photos. Very easy!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Another thing Brian - You can set up ebay to provide you with 59 Ply parts available each day. Go to ebay motors, parts and accessories, type in "Plymouth (1959,59,'59)" there are over 3,000 parts availabe for our cars. Right now there are a couple of body repair panels including front fender panel. Your car looks like it will provide you a lot of fun bringing it back to life. All it takes is a lot of patience and elbow grease. As in my case, how fast depends on the $ situation. It doesn't hurt to get the drive train first so you can paint a sign on the front door UNDER CONSTRUCTION and take it to car shows. Motor heads love to see the progression of a rebuild.
Have fun,
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Welcome to the '59 Site, Brian!!

Looks like you've got a pretty decent car to start out with too.

---John
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Nice pickup on the Savoy! As others have said, there is a ton of knowledge in the group who like the 59 Plymouths!

Stuff like: Reverse the heater hoses on the firewall for better (and Correct) warm water flow. I know it does get a little chilly in NC having just moved my Dad from Wilmington earlier this year!

Take stock of what you need to repair and the rest of us will give you pointers on where to find the parts. When I joined the group it was great to have this type of help to get my convert up an running.... (though I hold the record for the longest restoration know to the Forum!) :roll:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Brian; Welcome to the forum,your savoy looks like A good project,I can't believe it was headed for A demo derby,thanks for saving her !!! As Dick was saying take it to A show and you will be the only Plymouth there,not many 50's mopars.Look over old posts/pics,if you have A question toss it in and someone can help you,they have been there and done that!!!!! These guys are great and have helped me alot. Take care, Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!