Charleen's new (rebuilt tranny).

Your banter here!
Dick Koch

Charleen's new (rebuilt tranny).

Post by Dick Koch »

Bought a Torqueflite on ebay a while back for my 59 Convert. project. Had it rebuilt (a good thing because it had a lot wrong with it). Charleen's tranny finally gave up after all these years (slipping like crazy) so had it installed in Charleen and will rebuild her's for the Convert. Come to find out it must have been for the 361 engine, the bell housing wasn't right and the rebuilt torque converter was to big. I'm going to pick up the car this morning so everbody cross your fingers that it a done deal. Next is new foam in the seats, heater valve repair and installing AC compressor (sanden) and condenser. Hopefully that's it for awhile.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Charleen's new (rebuilt tranny).

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Sounds like a full day of work for you Dick, But we all have confidence in ya! 8)

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - I didn't install it, a mechanic did, $300.00 smackers which I thought was pretty good, he is going to rebuild the tranny he took out, picked it up this morning, creeped forward in neutral, smooth as silk going forward but backing up it felt like the brakes were on and had a slight jump in it. He adjusted the reverse band and it's a lot better now and no forward creep anymore. The front disc brakes are not releasing completely will check the master cylinder to see if it's the problem.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Wow! I thought you did all the work yourself... now I find out you "have a guy" and you give him Smackers instead of cash..

I went to my ATM today and I have no car fund smackers left till April when I get renewed again with some more dinero's... :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Well I am going to do the engine myself, a 318 A-Block. It's strange how I came to get this engine. A local car guy the " STRIPER " he is a very good artists and pin striper had a 59 Ply. Belvedere 4 dr. sedan that was his fathers. He hot rodded it, mostly cosmetically. When he moved to Florida from New York in the sixties he bought another 59 and hot rodded it, again cosmetically and named it "White Ice". The Striper puts on a annual car show locally that draws a couple hundred cars with some very nice prizes. A $500.00 watch for example. Anyway over the years he bought a 58 Belvedere 2 dr. hard top and switched the engine from his 59 to the 58. He found a new Honey and divorced his wife which by the way was a very good move. I bought the 59 less power train for $200.00 as a parts car. Yvonne very unhappy about that. I used a lot of parts in Charleen and the convert will get the dashboard and differential and other small stuff. I could have bought the 58 at that time but she wanted 6 grand for a total Rust bucket. 6 years later another friend bought it for 2 grand, spent 7 grand in labor alone just in metal work and welding, cut the front off and replaced the engine and suspension with a chevy front clip and a chevy 350. Now he has god knows how much money it this thing that a MOPAR or Chevy guy would not touch and it still looks like a piece of Crap. Larry that did all the metal replacement and welding on my cars told me about it so I bought the front end, engine that had a Powerflight 2 speed automatic transmission and a gazillion other small parts for $300. So the engine made a full circle back to where it started. I will also be using the bell housing and torque converter on the Convert. It looks like the convert will be on hold for awhile, I'm doing the stainless dent repair and polishing for a 58 Buick special and a 59 Pointiac Bonneville Convertible, both going thru total restorations.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Wow what a story... I sit corrected. To get a 59 parts car for $200 is a deal and does deliver a lot of spare parts for your fleet of 59's.

I like the lines of a 59 Bonneville and to be a convert is even neater. Grab a picture of that car someday so I can see it.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Will do on the pictures. I picked up a 59 Desoto Sportsman 4 dr. Sedan about a year ago for $300.00 and a Franklin Mint Model of a 1956 Lincoln Mark II from my friend Bruce. It has a lot a parts that are the same as a 59 Plymouth. It has the same Power Train (383) as my 60 Desoto. After I get done I will put what's left on ebay. The Mark II model retails for arount $120.00, I picked it up at a garage sale a couple of block from my house for $7.50, Bruce owned a 56 Mark II at the time.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, on that 59 De Soto engine, is that on the B block size or on the RB (raised Block, 413, 440, 426 ) size? I know they made a one year only of the 383 designation on the RB block before settling on putting it on the slightly smaller B engine that the 350, 361 used... Just wondering...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I dunno for sure but 59 was the first year for the 383 so it's probabley not the raised block. Go to www.allpar.com for the answer.

Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

'59 Desoto should have the standard 383 [or 361, depending on the model] The '59 Chryslers had the RB wedge engines though.

---John
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

John F. what year was it that the 383 was in the RB block then? I know it was one year only....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Re the 383 RB, I beleive it was a two-year deal - many years ago a friend picked up a 60 Chrysler purely to junk it out, for the heavy weight, and on a whim I took the two-barrel manifold off. They were only on the 383 RB, and I know a 60 from a 59. Heaviest two-barrel carb manifold in existence I think. Not sure if I still have it, will check the garage when it finally warms up this "spring." Somewhat heartbreaking to admit it but the bore and stroke of this 383 RB is the same as the popular Chevy 383 hop up version. Theirs are a bit better known these days. And lighter, much lighter.

On the other hand, years ago there were rumors that some Chrysler factory-connected racers tried this 383 RB combo with the long ram manifolds for drags instead of the 383 B engine, thinking the longer stroke would equal more torque. And thinking no one would know the difference back then. It's just a rumor, but this seems like a good place to mention it.