weatherstripping for doors

Nick

weatherstripping for doors

Post by Nick »

I have a 59 I purchased in CO a few years ago. It had about 55,000 miles on it, no windshield and rust over the headlights. It now has a windshield, the body has been repaired and painted. It now runs and has new brakes. The interior is gone. There was 2 to 3 inches of mouse droppings and other trash in the car when I rescued it from the crusher. It was one of three I bought to save them after they were loaded on the truck on the way to the crusher. Now I need to find weatherstripping for the doors, new channels for the windows and the trim above the headlights on the driver's side. Any help would be appreciated.
Dick Koch

Re: weatherstripping for doors

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Nick - Welcome aboard. The best source for any soft parts and some hard parts is: www.garygoers.net. A must is his catalog. Another good source especially trim items is ebay or some of the members on this site. Almost all questions you may have about a 59 Plymouth can be answered on this site. Just do a search using a keyword and up will pop any discussion on the subject.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nick - I forgot to ask what part of Colorado? We have several members there. Two in the Denver Area.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Yes, I also would like to know if you live in Colorado now or just bought this and other cars here. I know I missed out on a 4 door from Maddox sales two years ago for around $700, is that you?

If you are from here, I would like to meet ya!

Let us know or update your profile info to say what state you live in!

thanks!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Welcome to the forum Nick! For your weatherstripping needs Gary Goers is the guy you need! His catalog is on line somewhere on this forum but I will add it as an attachment to this message for you. Make sure you get the right parts, there are 2 different channels for the side windows and the weatherstripping are not very different. Or maybe one of the other members will come to the rescue and will sell you their wrong ordered rubber :lol:

Seems like the attachment is too big to upkoad here but I will put it on the new website this week. Theee is a lot of other info available there and if you want I could make a page for you in the showcase as well. Just send me a short story about you and your car with a couple of pictures. You can email me directly @ ronkeij@zeelandnet.nl

The website I am talking about is http://www.59plymouth.net/59gallery/

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks, guys for the info and the great leads. I'll get to the Gary Goers site ASAP. Now about the 59, me, and CO. I live in TX but spend some time in CO usually several times a year, mostly in the San Luis Valley and at Colorado Gators (look em up). The 59 and the other cars were purchased in Lamar, CO. They were being loaded on a truck with a forklift when I purchased them. Loading punched a hole in the transmission pan of the 59 but that was easily fixed. When I got the 59 all wheels were locked up--frozen to the brakes. The car had been sitting in a field for over 30 years. Mice had packed every orfice with sticks, nuts, seeds, and mucho droppings. The flywheel housing was so packed with junk that I had to remove the inspection plate and chisel out the junk. The starter could not engage the flywheel because of the packed in junk. The exhaust system was packed. When I finally got her running trash flew out of the exhaust system through every hole (there were many) and went everywhere.

To load it on the trailer we laid plastic under the wheels to reduce friction as we winched her upon the trailer. Anyone in their right mind would have left the 59 on the crusher's truck but I like a challenge. And this was a challenge. The brakes were the first order of the rebuild followed by freeing the motor, replacing hoses, electrical, etc and getting her running. I did no body work until I found a new windshield and then had to have the rubber gasket made to mount the windshield. That process took 14 months. Once I had the gasket I ordered the windshield and took it to an ole school auto glass shop. They removed the remains of the old windshield and I carried the 59 back to the shop for cleanup and painting before installing the new windshield. After about a year the bodywork and painting was done and we went back to the glass shop where they had my new windshield in storage. But low and behold, there was no gasket to be found. Now back to the gasket builder for the second gasket. This time they were fast an delivered it after only 7 months. The windshiel is now mounted and looks great.

I still need to put all of the trim on (need some trim clips), have the bumpers straightened and rechromed, put in an exhaust system and rebuild the interior. All this for an old 59 4-door sedan made from steel recycled from the WWII bombing of Japan. It makes no sense.

If you go to <www.nickparkerconsultingllc.com> you will learn more about me than you will ever want to know.

Thanks for the help.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nick - Wish you had contacted us sooner. Gary Goers has those windshield gaskets on the shelf at around $90.00.
Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

I have the front fender trim for the driver's side in good condition, if you are still needing it.

---John
In rust we trust!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow! Wish I had found you earlier too. I paid 150 for the first gasket and 170 for the second one. I'll order his catlog and go from there.

Thanks
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow! Wish I had found you earlier too. I paid 150 for the first gasket and 170 for the second one. I'll order his catlog and go from there.

Thanks
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks big m but I need the trim that goes above the headlamp on the drivers side. Not that that goes on the fender. I do need the fender trim for the passenger's side.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Sounds like he's looking for a headlight bezel.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

It is either the figure 8 looking aluminum headlight bezel or the double barrel chromed eyebrow trim above the headlight bezel.. :?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Eye brow trim, passenger side, Sorry not the Drivers side as needed but just to ID what you are looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Plymouth-r ... es&vxp=mtr

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I think I got it. Could it be the headlight bucket cover that the bezel fits onto.
Dick.