Bob Hinds' Sport Fury at Keeneland Concours d’Eligance

Faulkner

Bob Hinds' Sport Fury at Keeneland Concours d’Eligance

Post by Faulkner »

Bob Hinds wrote:Early in 2012 the phone rang and a gentleman asked us to bring our 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury to the July Keeneland Concours d’Eligance in Lexington, Kentucky. Not having heard of this concours the first reaction was to decline because the Plymouth has always been driven wherever it goes and Lexington is 440 miles away.
This Sport Fury was purchased in 1990 and its restoration as a driver was completed in 1994. It looked so good; a friend who is an AACA judge, thought it would do well at an AACA National Meet. In 1995 it won a First Junior award (National First Place) and a Senior award. Once a car is restored, it starts “unrestoring” itself.
My wife encouraged participation in the Keeneland Concours as it is an honor just to be invited, so we gave a tentative yes. Even though the ‘59 has been driven about 25,000 miles since winning the AACA awards it still shows well. Storing our collector car out of the sun, in a climate-controlled garage under a car cover has slowed down its deterioration. Living in the South were no salt is used, it gets driven to local events year round.
Now to find someone who could trailer the car to Lexington. When this invitation was mentioned to a friend in the Mercedes Benz Club, he immediately volunteered to come with us and provide the enclosed trailer and tow vehicle. The Keeneland application was submitted and approved; the car was to be displayed in the “Collector American 1950-1975 class # 6”. Two weeks of detailing and everything from the paint to the underside of the Sport Fury looked great!
The drive to Lexington was an experience, as we had never ridden in a truck pulling a car trailer. Although long, the trip was without incident and the car arrived unscathed. Show day, July 21, 2012, the weather was sunny and hot. There were seven other cars in the same class: a 1954 Mercury, 1956 Imperial, 1957 Ford, 1960 Buick, and three Chevrolets 1952, 1957 and 1958.
The Sport Fury got a lot of attention and looked good but newer restorations won the first and second place awards. We had not expected to win anything but were disappointed to have two black Chevrolet convertibles win. We and the car arrived home safely the following day. We don’t want to trailer again as it was a hassle, driving is more fun.
IMG_0256.jpg
The photo was taken on the Keeneland Concours d’Eligance show field
IMG_0281.jpg
A license plate and green ribbon were given to all participants
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Bob Hinds' Sport Fury at Keeneland Concours d’Eligance

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Neat story, neat car and love that Plymouth plaque!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
roberthinds

Post by roberthinds »

Thanks for your kind words.
I want to point out that the plaque is not related the Concours, it was made from left over parts after the restoration.
Robert Hinds
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I have two of the items (first two) left over, I think it would be cool to dust off my woodworking skills and make one. I will have to grab and extra Belvedere emblem to make it work!

Again you have a striking good looking Plymouth there! Good to see it out and about.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/