Early Hemi Racing

Your banter here!
Steve Storey

Early Hemi Racing

Post by Steve Storey »

The early Plymouth racing thread brought back my memory of early racing at the 1/8 mile Fonda drag strip near Albany, NY. My friend and I would take his 52 Ford p/u for usually uncontested runs down the strip for a trophy, this to impress our girl friends I guess. Of more interest though were the Shultis brothers from my home town who invariably also brought home trophies in their 300B's. I don't think they ever lost. They had at least two as well as a creation called the Green Monster which as I recall was a hemi powered custom roadster. The oldest brother/owner was named/called Gizmo Shultis and always wore bib overalls. These cars were pulled out of his barn and reside in Don Gartlitt's museum in Ocala I believe. Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney was another nightly attraction at Fonda.
Bernie B.

Re: Early Hemi Racing

Post by Bernie B. »

You jogged my memory about the only time I went to Evans Mills speedway, far up in New York near Canada... I was "visiting" Camp Drum for two weeks in the summer of 1973. We went to this nice track, think it was 3/8 mile, and one Petty-inspired 57 Plymouth with a slant six ran pretty good, but got spun out into the infield near the end of his race. But it sure looked good. Maybe there are pictures of it on the web.

I seldom went to circle tracks but did go to the drags often, and saw Shirley Muldowney in her red Chevy powered dragster at New England Dragway in either 1968 or 69. They made her run single passes, by herself because she was female! At least for one run I remember they made her run alone, and she went 165 mph. There are some pictures on the web of her at this track (Epping, NH) in that same car, and she ran there for years after in both funny cars and fuel dragsters. I mentioned seeing her at Epping back then when she was at Englshtown in 1999 and her response was "I'm glad you remember 'cause I don't remember that far back!" She had a few crashes along the way. Just read recently that her son is putting the finishing touches on a 1940 Plymouth street rod for her, with a blown Hemi, of course!
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Oops again! Wow, gotta fact check before typing. Shirley Mudlowney's new "grocery getter" Plymouth street rod is powered by a blown engine alright, but with funny looking valve covers. Not a Hemi... just a Chevy. Guess Steve using the word "Hemi" in his subject line had the desired effect, just not quite the fact here. Sorrrrryyy. BB
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Bernie, 40 lashes with a wet Hemi spark plug wires! Probably a Hemi wanna be... 8)

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

John, you're brutal! 40!!! How about a compromise, just 5 lashes with a set of NOS 241 Dodge Hemi plug wires... get it over quicker (do the math.)

Actually, I almost bought a 54 Dodge Hemi before getting my SF long ago... don't think there are any internet groups for 54 Dodges though, but haven't looked. Heck, I even considered buying a 57 Chevy, then two days later on Sunday afternoon a friend told me (my car) was at the backyard of the local Chrysler dealership (that sold it as a new car), I went and saw it, then bought it the next day for just a five-dollar down payment. Wanted to buy it no matter what due to the GC engine, and it's reputation. Forty lashes, indeed.

BB
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

OK remove the porcelain spark plug couplers.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Bernie you are right! I over-reacted on my punishment. I think you are a first time offender so we will let you off a hook! And also that you are a long time SF Convert owner held too! :P

Glad you went the 59 route instead of the Chevy route!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Funny how memory works or doesn't work - but my friends truck was a l956 - with a Y block and the years must have been 64 - 66. So these 56 - 300b's had been around awhile.