1959 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

Bernie B.

Re: 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

Post by Bernie B. »

For the red interior the correct carpet would be black cut pile, with about a 1/2" jute backing.
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

thanks Bernie that was a big help.
Jerry
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Hi Jerry-Welcome to our site. Great score you made. I've a 318 convert and am up in NY state east of Binghamton. Mine suffered much early abuse from an inhospitable climate and collapsed barn, but is still a "chick magnate" ho ho! I've been working on a rusty old MGB-good luck with your Sprite.
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

Steve,
thanks for your inputs. I am picking the SF up this Saturday so I am getting hyped. When you are buying a car with many boxes you just do not know what the final tally will be. I do think it is a great classic car. the bugeye had the motor and trans pulled last night and i will finish the remainder of the paint stripping in the next couple of days. want to get it in a paint shop in the next two weeks so it can get etched, primed and painted. This little car excites me too. they are a ton of fun to drive and talk about the looks and thumbs up...... I just sold a 60 MGA and 73 MGB in the last two months so I know where you are going on your car.

58 Fury was my most favorite car growing up but just do not see them anymore.

When I get the SF home the week end I will get some good pictures to shows it condition.
Jerry
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

Well I have the 59 Sport Fury Home now and I am including my photobucket link to go look at her. I am not thin skinned so let me know how it looks to the guys who know how it should look.

My business in not restoring car but selling them. So as I start to look through the parts I realize I do not know where most of the parts go. I believe this car is to good to leave in the hands of an amateur as far as Fury's go. So If anyone on this site would be interested in the Sports Fury I would listen to offers.

I live in Hatfield Pa 19440 and my cell phone is 215-803-9328. email is jdayrbrou@yahoo.com.

here is my link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v361/ ... nvertible/

I will also try to post on the classified section.

I would still like to get eh car registered so how do I go about doing that as well.

Thanks Jerry
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Jerry,

The car looks pretty good in the pictures and you will be able to find the right buyer for it. I am thinking of one of our members in particular who wants a Sport Fury convertible. It does need some detailing under the hood amd we need to see some pictures of the trim and bumpers of course. And a picture of the front valance if it is with the car, if it is not there it would certainly be hard to find one!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Jerry,
The paint job looks great. The floors look to have been treated with Ospho Rust Encapsulator, but looks like no severe rust.
The re-plated chrome looks great in the pics. Did he have the aluminum trim re-anodized, or plated?
There are at least two chromed pieces pictured that do not belong to the '59.
The undercarriage looks clean. Exhaust needs completion.
I don't see any outer door handles. I can't tell how the condition of the glass. Do the doors open and close well? The folding top looks to be complete.. need more photos to be sure. Unfortunately the new upholstery is NOT correct. The door panels likewise are wrong. The aluminum beauty panels on the dashboard look blemished... maybe just dirty? The steering wheel looks very good.
Generally, it seems the dentist was trying to do a true high quality restoration.
While we could help you reassemble the car, I fully understand you being open to a re-sale.
And as Ron said, there is at least one listmember who would be interested in investigating this particular car.
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Each state seems to differ on requirements for registering a classic car. Our Webmaster Dan Morton lives in PA and should be able to direct you. Do you have a title, or just a bill of sale? A PA title would be your gold ticket. PA DMV or PA State Patrol might want to actually SEE the car to verify the VIN. Hopefully your car has a VIN tag, located on the passenger side of the firewall (you gotta open the hood to find it).
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

what would the valance look like? Ron I was wanting to list the car it in the 59 Sport Fury Registry, if it is applicable. How would I do that? I do have the PA title. I will take more photo's of glass and dash area and locate the vin plate on Monday.

Are you saying that the interior is wrong? It really looks to be original? I did use Eastwood rust encapsulation on the floor after cleaning them and taking photo's of the original floors before putting down the paint. There are three areas that were repaired. I have the complete exhaust system for it. Int eh chrome photo which pieces do not belong to the Sport Fury? I know the Fury emblems several are not for this car but not sure which Fury they belong too. I can take photo's of the trim pieces and add them. I do also have the two outside door handles and the doors open and close great. The doors and trunk have new weather striping already.

I guess I am most curious about the interior. What should it be if not the checker pattern shown?
You guys are a great help.
Thanks for the input.
Jerry
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

I do have an offer from a restorer in South for 20K on the car as it sits. Would any of you be willing to share your thoughts on this $ figure and is it the correct number for this type of car?

I have only seen completed cars that were going in the 55 to 65k range so not much to draw off for this level of Sports Fury.

If I do sell the car I will make a donation to the site for your efforts and to be used in what ever way you see fit.
thanks Jerry
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hi Jerry! All donations cheerfully refused :mrgreen: All we want is for this fine specimen to end up in good hands, and for the new owner to enjoy and share with the rest of us. Thanks for saving this valuable road locomotive!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

Dan,
I know you are near to Lansdale maybe you can come up and give us your opinion on the car. What are you thoughts on its value?
Jerry
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dear Jerry,
I hope you know I am only trying to help here, offering constructive criticism as far as my sometimes faulty eye and memory will allow!
This is a valuable car. What we are trying to determine is how complete it is, and it what condition it's in.
The exterior paint looks great. I can see some of the trim holes have been filled. No biggie. I can't remember where the emblems should go on the trunklid...both the "Plymouth" script and the gold "V". Hopefully the holes I see in trunk lid are in the right place. The peeling paint implies the firewall wasn't cleaned properly prior to re-paint.
(My convertible had a skim coat of filler put on all over the car's exterior..I was told this would give the final paint coat a mirror finish.) Some other things I notice right away on your car:
1) The interior fabric is not correct. While you are here on this site and page, go back to Board Index, then go to Show Your Ride, pages 3 and 4. While there are better photos elsewhere, this will show you what the correct fabric looks like.
2) The Deluxe steering wheel looks good. These are quite expensive to rebuild.
3) This pics of the "brightwork" are dazzling. In Picture 56, the part w/ eaglehead? on it is not for this car. Likewise the part seen behind it..the part with key lock. The aluminum trim parts look to be nice originals, not chromed as I first thought.
4) Do you have the bumpers, and the front air scoop (width of the car, installs under the front bumper)? Do you have the tailfin "medallions" (sometimes called Tiffanys)? These too are hard to find.
5) In picture 65, only the gold "Fury" scripts are correct. The black and chrome ones fit a standard Fury, while the chromed Fury script fits a '60's Plymouth.
6) I forgot to look...do you have a new dashpad? Do you have the courtesy lights which fit the holes in the rear side panels to illuminate the rear seat? Dashpad is expensive and courtesy lights used to be hard to find (I think someone is refanufacturing them now).
7) Do you have all the exterior stainless, and the aluminum panels that dress up the sides?
I am refraining from comment about value, since there is in fact a Listmember looking for a convertible. However, if you are looking for a quick sale, 20k is an excellent offer. Apparently that party isn't concerned about all the details I mentioned above.
There is a fair amount of reassemby needed for your car. The engine compartment needs to be re-detailed. I recommend you don't do any more rustproofing, as it will appear like you are trying to hide something.
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

Roger,
I was not offended, in fact welcome the input. what I am trying find out is what is wrong with the seats. I have a picture of the car in 1983 cr show and these seats were in it at that time. Is the pattern wrong or the color? On Monday I will be able to photo the other items i.e side trim and it is all there and glass. I do have the air cleaner and bumpers so I can get those, however, I have not seen the lower valance piece bummer!.

Thanks again
Jerry
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Jerry,

This is what the seats should look like:
24112010032.jpg
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...