Installed a modern stereo system

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
philhassey

Installed a modern stereo system

Post by philhassey »

Hi,

I'm the worse-half of the couple who had the 59 Fury + Goat Christmas card: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1714&p=10678#p10678

Last week I installed a modern stereo in our Fury! Here's a video showing the modifications I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhxZyqWEhAo

The basic details are:

- 2 6x9 speakers I installed in the rear
- Installed a under dash stereo system
- Hooked the power to the clock wire before the fuse that is on the back of the clock. This was the easiest and nearest way for me to get the constant 12V power.
- Used the original ignition power from the AM radio as the ignition power to the stereo.

I'm currently thinking about either replacing the 5x7 that is in the car and hooking that up, or possibly buying a pair of motorcycle chrome bullet shaped speakers and hanging those below the dash as well, I think it would look pretty cool, and be pretty easy to install.

Cheers!
-Phil
jason

Re: Installed a modern stereo system

Post by jason »

Good work Phil!!!
I mounted mine uner the seat frame on the drivers side with a custom made bracket i made.
The unit I bought has a remote control to turn it on and adjust volume and skip tracks.
It accepts Ipod and cd and also USB Sticks. I just downloaded my favourite 10,000 songs and
select remote play and cruise all day!!! I did this to retain the origonal look of the dash by not
having the modern stereo in sight!

Great job you did also well done!!
philhassey

Post by philhassey »

jason - Cool! I considered hiding it a bit, but my wife and I both really just wanted something we could see and reach. Mine does have a remote, but that's just not the same :) Anyway, did you replace the front-center speaker or did you add two speakers to the front somewhere? (Or did you just put the two in the back?)

I'm almost definitely going to add in more speakers to the front, I haven't decided where / how yet.

-Phil
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

You did a good job there!
Also you might want to consider original look speaker covers.

Now let's upload a movie with some tunes so we know how it sounds 8)
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
philhassey

Post by philhassey »

Hey,

Just an update here .. I added in a pair of motorcycle chrome bullet speakers to the front :) Conveniently they bolted right onto the sides without me having to drill anything!

Here's a video showing what they look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ncJiU9ECw

Here's the speakers I bought:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SPKE ... black.html

I'm very happy with how they match the 1969 chrome-everywhere style :)

They work pretty well, not much low end, but when the car gets going there's no way I'd hear it unless I invest in some serious bass anyways!

-Phil