Coast Guard Festival Car Show - Grand Haven, MI August 1, 2010

Been to any good car shows lately? Got pix? Share your story!
59$avoy

Coast Guard Festival Car Show - Grand Haven, MI August 1, 2010

Post by 59$avoy »

My wife and I took are two kids to the Coast Guard Festival Car Show in Grand Haven Mi today. It was a good show, about 250 cars and pretty diverse. Of course I had the only 59 Plymouth there!
Here are a few of the highlights
017-2.jpg
I need White Walls!!
002-2.jpg
Got to teach them when they're young how to take care of Daddy's car!!
006-2.jpg
55 Plymouth Plaza
011-2.jpg
I love this Green!
014-2.jpg
59 Olds complete with lady in a poodle skirt
013-2.jpg
56 Chevy Gasser
024-2.jpg
58 Packard???? looks like a Studebaker to me
010-2.jpg
1916 Cadillac
016-2.jpg
Horseless Carriage? I mean a Horse on a Carriage?
009-2.jpg
MGA my wife wants one of these!
Durke
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Coast Guard Festival Car Show

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Looks like it was a great show with a lot of interesting cars to be seen. Grand Haven is a neat town on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Your 59 Plymouth displays well! Especially with the little ones polishing up Dad's ride! :lol:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Didn't know this show existed. Gotta remember it maybe for next year. Being a 7 year active duty veteran of CG it might be fun attending. Maybe make a camping deal out of it (love camping). Not sure but I think I'd have a choice of driving or a ferry ride?
I probably mentioned this before but my '59 and Mike's '59 (now yours) was at the Tomahawk, WI and Iola show same time, Iola I think two times.

Mine also is usually the only '59 at car shows around here too. A few years ago (besides Mike's) there was a '59 Sport Fury at Iola but the owner died and family sold car at Barret Jackson auction.
About 5 years ago another SF showed up at a local show but that guy was from Texas and brought it up for the summer. I think it went back to Texas.
I know a guy about 50 miles from me that has a 4-dr hardtop but he leaves it parked in his garage.
"John from WI" in Neilsville, WI has a '59 wagon but I think he's still working on it.
Other than those, they are rare. Anyway, I'll keep that show in mind.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

John Bartell went hot and heavy on his wagon for a time...even started a webpage about it, then as it often goes, other priorities came up, he went looking for a convertible, then he got into Harleys for a time...I think he got the Harley bug out of his system, but I havent heard from him in a long time
Which SF owner in WI passed away?
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

Fins59,
If you're thinking about camping in Grand Haven for the Coast Guard festival next year, you might want to try and reserve it now. This event goes on for over a week and from what I hear it's absolute chaos. here's a link http://www.coastguardfest.org/. My wife grew up in Grand Haven, she said there's a crazy amount of people that show up. We're going out there Saturday to the parade and fireworks, luckly my Mother in law still lives there so parking won't be an issue for us. This will be my first time to the second weekend activities, the car show is on the first weekend which is not as busy. I'll let you know how crazy it is!.

When I picked up my Savoy From Mike, I took the Ferry and met him at the dock. This worked out great and saved me alot of driving, especially going around Chicago. It takes about four hours to cross the lake on the Badger, the price didn't seem too bad either but I don't remember exactly what it cost. They were really cool about bringing an old car on the ship, they let you drive it on and back off yourself. I tried to get on the Lake Express Ferry but it was all booked, from what I'm told that one books up pretty fast because it's not very big.

Durke
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Thanks for all the info Durke. Sounds like a busy week. Something to check into and plan ahead for.

Roger - Jesse Ruffalo was the fellow's name. He was from Plainfield, WI. Passed away about 3 years ago. He had a rather large car collection, many fin cars including the '59 white over blue SF. He would always bring about 20 cars to the Iola Car Show. He had his own little roped off corner of the grounds. I think family sold most or all of his cars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

thanks