Suburban Wagon from Forwardlook.net

Your banter here!
mrtester

Suburban Wagon from Forwardlook.net

Post by mrtester »

So this only works with URL pictures? What about posting pictures from your own digital camera?

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

You need to upload your own pics. Dan has an FTP here. You can also register (for free) on http://www.picturetrail.com
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

mrtester, Matthew's right -- this bulletin board software only permits the viewing of images that are served by a web server -- i.e., are addressed beginning with http: It doesn't upload the images, it just references them. So if you had a webserver on your PC, and the PC were on, at the time I view the article, I could see the picture.

If you'd like your own account on members.59sportfury.net, I'd be happy to give you one! I'm surprised I haven't had more takers. They're free -- read about it here:

http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopic.php?t=117

Then, you could place your images there, reference them here, or build your own web page. Your space, your choice.

So tell us -- who is mrtester?! Do you have a '59?

Thanks
Dan
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

My father had a 1959 Savoy 2-door sedan during my childhood. It had the 3.8 liter flathead six engine and Powerflite transmission, and it was a peach color all over--no two tones. For the record, buying the 2-speed Powerflite was the only way to get an automatic transmission with the six. Dad's Savoy was a capable piece of transportation for him in his commute to and from work, with well over 150,000 miles on it, before he traded it for a '67 Dodge Coronet. He hated the spare-tire stamping on the trunk lid, hence his preference for the cheaper Savoy model. We purchased the Savoy new at my uncle's Chrysler dealership in Iowa. The body was very rusty when Dad traded it. He was a hardware store owner in the so-called Quad-Cities region of eastern Iowa and northwest Illinois.

I am now a computer IT network administrator in Georgia, in suburban Atlanta, and I drive a 1986 Dodge Aries. One of my co-workers started calling me Mr. Tester, and the nickname stuck. My interest in the 1957-59 Chrysler corporate car line is primarily casual, drawing from what my parents and the neighbors had. The Tri-5 Mopars (my favorites are Plymouth and Imperial) were styled much better than the classic Chevys of that time, because their fins integrated into the body better than any of the competition. Those cars would eventually fade into my distant memory with time, but "Christine" brought it all back. Even before that movie came out, however, I did my research about who was running Chrysler at that time. And three names stood out: Tex Colbert, Virgil Exner, and K. T. Keller. I am suprised, and a little shocked, that Colbert gets so little notice by both the automotive media and the vintage Mopar collector people. His career at Chrysler is at least as good as Iacocca's, and deserves to be written about more often, despite his lack of celebrity status.

In discovering this site, it is a useful and happy place for collectors of the '59 Plymouth line to go, because the 59 gets much less respect than the '57 or '58 car. Keep it basically the same, and research all of the seinor Chrysler management team of the late 50s, not just Virgil Exner. If future visitors to this site mention Tex Colbert, you will know who he is.
Contact prominent Chrysler historian and former DaimlerChrysler stylist Jeff Godshall, now a frequent writer for Collectible Automobile Magazine, if necessary, for inside information on Chrysler seinor management. See my other posts in the 59 corporate report section for all my rants and raves, especially the one about decoding the 4th element in the VIN number of these cars, to identify the assembly plant (our car was built at Detroit-Lynch Road).

I'm Bernie Hanssen, a native of Davenport in eastern Iowa, now a network technician in Georgia, and I approve this message.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well Bernie, I'm pleased to learn a little more about you -- thanks for the update. For the record, I own an '86 Dodge Aries too!

If you've read the Faulkner story, you'll know that the car passed through Atlanta en route to Philadelphia. The technical advisor for the '59 Plymouth, Robert Hinds, lives there as well, and inspected the car for me.

When I get around to it, I think I'll rename one of the chat rooms after Tex -- not that anyone uses the chat rooms! But certainly, he deserves to be noted, as you have so thoughtfully pointed out.

Thanks for your contributions, and keep those cards and letters coming!

Dan