teperature sending unit

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

teperature sending unit

Post by rogerh »

Here is one for the Archives...
I need a temp sending unit for my 361. I tested a few used ones on a stove top, but the resistance stayed high, so I think they are broken.
I went to the auto parts store, and got a correctly threaded one, however the electrical connection is a threaded rod, not the mushroom connector I wanted. i patched it together.
So now the temp gauge works..ibut t reads high, even though I just started the engine...
HELP!
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

I've messed with "universal" ones before and had similar issues. The problem is how the unit voltage level is sent or "interpreted" by the guage. I've always had to replace the sender with one of the same type made for the car.... :? I don't know really how they work, but I know I've had issues like that, which could only be solved by a direct replacement unit
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

thanks Cody,
If you could tell me which sensor Part # I should purchase, i would be most grateful
Roger
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

hmmm I'll check around, I need more parts for mine anyway so I'll look for a sender too :)
Cody C.
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

NAPA has the Oil pressure sender :?

Its always hard to find the part yah need, no what I mean? :lol:
Cody C.
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Ok I found you one, but you are not going to like the price.....

http://www.oldmoparts.com/j.htm

P# J-192 its like $12.50

still looking.........
Cody C.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

nothing wrong with that price, but how can you be so sure that is the correct unit? There are others he lists for the same application...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Roger,

The calibration of the sensor is to the gauge for the model year, not to the engine. Water at 150 degrees in a flathead 6 will drive the gauge to the same position as water at 150 degrees in a 318. However, when they change the dash (and the gauge, or even to an idiot light) the impedence range of the sensor changes accordingly. There's only one sensor for the '59 dash gauge (what you're really concerned about), so I think that part should be OK.

Not that I haven't gotten incorrect parts from Andy! But he makes good on it. There's no ambiguity about there being only one correct part, though.

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

okay, I guess I was just rushing thru the books and confusing myself. Bernbaum offers the one unit...it is worth a try! Thank you guys.
I will order one up. (His price is lower than Len Dawson too.)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ran into a small problem with Andy Berbaum...minimum credit card order= $25.00. The part is only $12.50. Hmmm..............