Old photo of life in the big city, and a '59

Your banter here!
JSSuper

Old photo of life in the big city, and a '59

Post by JSSuper »

I was scrounging around Forwardlook.net and found a couple of photos taken in the 60's, Low and behold a couple of 59 Plymouths showed up so I figured y'all would like to see.

This looks like a Belvedere 4-dr

A lot of the old mopars in Kenney J's photos.
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup. I recognize the street! Or, as they say in Fildelfya (Philadelphia),

"shtreet" :lol:

Dan
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

Speaking of the Forward Look pictures, that site also has this particular picture, taken in downtown Philadelphia circa 1959. Too bad that's a '58 Plaza taxi in the foreground, but the Philly location should be familiar to Faulkner, which is why I am posting the link. I am still not familiar with posting entire pictures to this format.

http://www.forwardlook.net/unsorted/58p ... philly.jpg

I live in Georgia, where I spotted a restorable '59 Belvedere two-door hardtop for sale in suburban Atlanta several months ago. Wish that my digital camera was working at the time.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup! That's the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel on the left, as one looks north on Broad Street towards City Hall. The Bellevue-Stratford, by the way, was closed down in 1976 after the famous "Legionaires" infection killed several elderly men who attended the convocation. It turned out to be a special bacteria in the ventilation system..

City Hall, by the way, has the distinction of being the tallest masonry building in the world, that is, unreinforced by structural steel.

PHPBB (the free source code for this Bulletin Board) uses something called "BBCode", a form of XML. In order to embed pictures, you have to take the URL, in this case,

http://www.forwardlook.net/unsorted/58p ... philly.jpg

and bracket it with [ img]http://www.forwardlook.net/unsorted/58p ... philly.jpg [ /img]

You can use the buttons in the message construction box to include these. (The reason the picture doesn't appear above is because I included an extra space in the BBCode so you could see them, and so they would not be interpreted as image brackets.)

Here's what happens when I include them properly:

That's all there is to it!

Dan

Pittsburgh

Post by Guest »

Uh, that photo of the '59 Belvedere four door was taken by the late R. Hill in Pittsburgh. :oops: Pittsburgh also has narrow streets and used PCC streetcars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

You mean, in the black & white photo... Oops, you're right. It looked to me like a scene on Frankford Ave. in the Port Richmond section of Phila., with the industrial school on the left. The Philly PCC's had a creme over green scheme too, which fit the gray tones. I guess I just... guessed! :oops:

The color scene of the yellow cab is undeniably in Philly, tho.

Dan
forwardlooklunatic

Post by forwardlooklunatic »

Pittsburgh, huh? I wish there was a street sign so i could keep an eye out for it; my son lives in Pittsburgh.
bought my grandma a ball of steel wool and she's knitting me a foreign car.