- ready to be installed again
100_5758.JPG
100_5774.JPG
100_5775.JPG
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

- new base gasketes

- the linkage is adjustable

- ready and almost done! - just have to cut the linkage and adjust it! :)
100_5780.JPG
100_5783.JPG
100_5787.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Stephan - Magnificent build, would you mind sharing to Carburetor numbers, I plan on putting dual 4's on my 318. I already have the manifold, got it from John at Big M.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Won't your 318 flood out with the fuel delivery system Stefan is running into his 361?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - I'm glad you asked that guestion. One of my main concerns has been that too large CFM carburetors would provide to much fuel and flood them out especially a low speed. I have been on the internet trying to get some definitive answers. This weekend I took the Green SF to Cocoa Beach to a Car Show that limits participation to 200 cars because of space, registration fills up within days, anyway I got a top 40 award, how about that. At the show was a friend from my car club that was installed in the drag racing hall of fame a couple of months ago. He is retired now but besides drag racing he was one of the top engine builders in drag racing, his name is Sam Gianino. His wife Linda was one of the top carburetor rebuilders and tuners in the business. She won't touch anything less than 750 CFM. I am currently running a single Carter 625 CFM on my 318 and the engine is as smooth as silk, he and Linda said that adding another 625 CFM carburetor would not hurt anything as long as I used progressive linkage. The engine will still Idle and run on one carb. until punched, then the other carb will kick in with no harm. The Carter AFB selection and tuning guidelines for selecting the correct carburetor size is as follows:

There is no magic formula for determining the correct size carburetor for each application. Different carburetor sizes may produce similar maximum horsepower, but will vary considerably in low speed and midrange performance. These variations will affect vehicle driving performance, particularly in street driven applications. THE KEY IS AIRFLOW VELOCITY THROUGH THE CARBURETOR, WHICH PRODUCES A VACUUM SIGNAL TO DRAW FUEL THROUGH THE MAIN BOOSTERS. TOO LARGE A CARBURETOR WILL NOT GENERATE SUFFICIENT VACUUM TO START THE MAIN CIRCUIT UNTIL REACHING A HIGH RPM LEVEL. WHEN THE THROTTLE IS OPENED, MAIN CIRCUIT FUEL FLOW MUST BEGIN BEFORE THE ACCELERATOR PUMP SHOT IS CONSUMED TO PREVENT AN ENGINE HESITATION OR "BOG". EACH AFB IS FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO COVER A WIDE RANGE OF ENGINE SIZES DUE TO THE FLOW SENSING SECONDARY AIR VALVES. EVEN WHEN THE SECONDARY THROTTLE PLATES ARE OPEN, THESE AIR VALVES WILL NOT PERMIT FLOW THROUGH THEM UNTIL THE ENGINE IS ABLE TO HANDLE THE ADDDITIONAL AIR AND FUEL. THIS PREVENTS "BOG" AND HESITATION DURING ACCELERATION.

A good guideline for CFM is it should be more or less double the cubic inch displacement of the engine. Anyway I have the carbs so I think I will give it a try and see what happens.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I didn't realise you had finally gotten your carbs...let's see wht happens!
Interesting to hear that the AFBs have a sense of when to kick in, depending on draft. (Sorry, I am not the technical one here!)
I am stumbling on how to wire up teh heater a/c circuit...it should be so simple, yet the factory diagram makes no sense to me...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

The carb # are: 2562 S (front) 2563 S (rear)

Dick,

this was the best explication I’ve ever heard. No further command! If I would have had the choice, then I would have taken the 1x4bbl, but I simply didn’t. Shipping a manifold to Europe is very expensive. Nevertheless I will adjust the progressive linkage the way that the front carburettor will only open during kick down. For normal driving I’ll use only the rear carburettor. The price for gasoline is simply too high here.

Roger,

I expect to get about 21-22 mpg. Do you think I can efford a gas truck behind the Plymouth? :lol:

Stefan

Here a view of the progressive linkage
100_5825.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Stepan - Yes, I appreciate the view of the progressive linkage, Sam told me ther was a slot that would only allow the front carb to work when you kicked down to second gear. Thanks for the numbers, my research shows those numbers were first used on the 58 Fury with the 350 CI engine.

Roger - I'm not a technical one either by a long shot. What led to me checking things out was a lot of the local (know it all's) were telling me I would have serious flooding because the engine could not burn the gas fast enough. That' probable true if you have a Huge CFM carb and the cam shaft is wrong, i.e. drag racing.
Dick.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

No problem Dick!

- here is another little detail that 318 – 361 Converter require. The water outlet of the 318 radiator meets the oil filter.

- I had to move the outlet as far as possible to the edge and the drain cock went to the other side.
100_5688.JPG
100_5811.JPG
sportfury1959

Re: 361 - Project

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello Folks,

Wanna see some more pictures? Here they come:

- this was a kind view for me. I have my Fury for more than 20 years now and I have never had the car on a trailer, except when it was under restoration.
- Finally found the right flange
- Here we bent the right exhaust manifold
100_6124.JPG
100_6121.JPG
100_6118.JPG
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

- the tube is cut to the correct length
- and we have to take care that we have enough clearance to each side and the cross member
- and we have to built a special adapter to make sure the tube slips perfectly centred into the exhaust manifold
100_6126.JPG
100_6125A.JPG
100_6125.JPG
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

- here the right tube is already in place
- the left side is much more complicate due to the Power Steering Unit, but we got it JUST PERFECT
- and here the Smitty’s. I really hope that they are not too loud. We will see in the very near future. 
100_6130.JPG
100_6129.JPG
100_6127.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

sportfury1959 wrote: - and here the Smitty’s. I really hope that they are not too loud.
Take it from me, Stefan -- they are, even on a 318 :roll:

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Stefan - I have smitty's on my 318 and they have a low deep pitch rumble, even when you race the engine, the is no cracking or back talk at all. I thing you will like it, remember it's a straight thru exhaust so naturally it's louder than a regular muffler, I quess our leader has over sensitive hearing, that is, except when his wife is not around.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: I quess our leader has over sensitive hearing, that is, except when his wife is not around.
"What did you say, honey? What?!"
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"