headliner

Got a question? This is the place to ask
narleycharlie

headliner

Post by narleycharlie »

What are people doing to replace the large sections of headliner that go front to rear.I ve got the center section relaced with luan,simple cause its flat.But the 2 outter sections weren t covered by McGyver,if it was i missed that episode.Can t figure out how to duplicate that contour.Any fresh ideas would be great.charlie
If you don t ask for it,don t whine if you don t get it.(This goes for anything in life.)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Charlie, I seem to recall that Mopar Mel (or someone on FWDLK) makes these, but it escapes me. Very $$$, though! You might want to check the archives there... If I come across the reference, I'll let you know.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Fins59

Headliner

Post by Fins59 »

Mopar Mel sells the 3-peice headliner. $250 per section. Check out www.moparmel.com and click on "dash and interiors". On my 59, my center section needs a little attention. I plan on making a peice myself out of hardboard (panel board) from Restoration Specialties and covering that with white perforated vinyl (like the original). My side sections looked a little scuffy with the white covering material flaking off in places. I smoothed them out with a fine peice of sandpaper and then sprayed them with a white vinyl paint. Turned out pretty good. John Z
Fins59

Headliner

Post by Fins59 »

Last week I did replace the center peice headliner on my '59 with excellent results. I cut a peice of cowl board (obtained from Restoration Specialties) to proper size and glued a peice of perforated white vinyl (obtained from a local auto upholterer) to the cowl board using 3M Super Trim Adhesive (part no. 08090) Comes in a spray can. Let that set overnite. Then applied 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (part no. 08001) to the hard foam type peices already factory glued to ceiling of car and applied same adhesive to cowl board. After a minute or two of pressing peice to ceiling it stays in place and then you can snap the $#@^%& plastic strips back into place. I'm swearing @ them because of their brittleness I broke some of the edging off but not enough to hinder them holding up edges of peice. I see in another post that they can be obtained from a Dodge Caravan so am going to check that out.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John, I'm checking out the plastic strips too. I'm told the opening may need a bit of fenagling...

Do you have pix of the panels you made? Send 'em, and I'll post 'em. We can update your web page too!

Dan
narleycharlie

strips

Post by narleycharlie »

The strips on my rails are toast.I ve seen the other post with the part #.That will be a big help.I ve made a center section out of luan wood,came out pretty good.I ve got a stereo mounted to it,looks good also.Everyone has to bend over to look in the interior and don t even notice the stereo on the ceiling,they just see the original radio in the dash.I ll get a pic and try to post it.Now I have to try and figure a way to make side panels.Thanks for yalls input.Charlie
If you don t ask for it,don t whine if you don t get it.(This goes for anything in life.)