help with door panels

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

help with door panels

Post by Faulkner »

The guy who redid my interior did a very credible job; not original, but decent.

Except, for the door panels. They're a bit of a mess. Unfortunately, there's cloth on them that matches the rest of the interior, and I can't find the material anywhere. I have a good upholstery guy who's going to stitch the old stuff to new vinyl, however, so I should be alright.

The other problem is that, the guy put it on some sort of fiberboard that's all warped now. I got chipboard from Restoration Supply, and I'll use the old panels as templates. But instead of using clips when he installed it, he drilled through the panel and used screws with chrome collars. I also got the right clips from Restoration Supply; but here's the real issue...

Since the old panels were held on with screws, I don't have any marks I can use to locate where the clips should go. I thought about painting something slow-drying around the clip holes on the door, screwing the panel in place for alignment (which was pretty good), and pressing it to the door to pick up the paint. But maybe there's an easier way?

I can use all the help I can get...

Thanks
Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dan,
I just got my car back today..I now have spare doorpanels to measure/send, dash vent hoses to sell to Keijs, etc.
Give me a moment to retrench...I brroke my finger today so I dont type so wwell
Roger
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Sorry about your finger, Roger. How did you break it?

I got my old panels back from the upholsterer, and the dimensions of them are fine, thanks -- so I won't need your old ones. What I do need, however, is a way to figure out where to place the clips. I came up with another idea:

After I make the new panels, I'll cut the center out of the old ones. Then, I'll mount the old ones, reach through the opening in the door, find the proper mounting holes, and mark the old panel now mounted over it. Then I'll remove the old panel, drill out the holes, and use that as a template on the new panel to mark the hole location. From that, I can tell where to make the slot to fit in the clip.

I'll take pix and post here, so everyone will know what I mean...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

i was operating a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) inside a kitchen cabinet and it kicked back, smashing my knuckle against the bottom of the cabinet
rogerh

door panels

Post by rogerh »

Dan,
Sounds like you figured it out. I could still take a big sheet of paper and make a tracing of an ORIGINAL door panel...one with the factory clip slots in it...then fold up the paper and mail it to you. Or you could hold a big sheet of paper on your door and mark the holes...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh! Better yet, Roger! If it's not too much trouble -- that would be ideal. The door panels -- and the holes -- are mirror images, right?

I'm sure my idea would work, but it's too much trouble. When you get a chance...

Thanks
Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yes, they would be mirror images, as I would probably have taken the quickest route.
What did you mean, when you said you bought chipboard from Restoration Specialties? You must be using the wrong term, (I am a carpenter) chipboard is made from chips of wood and glue and is 1/2" thick. Did you in fact buy something called panelboard? stuff one makes the package shelf liners with? My quarter panels are made with 1/8" lauan plywood, I believe...I do not know what they used for the doors, but it is more rigid than the original cardboard..those industrial sewing machines might be able to sew thru 1/8" plywood...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I dunno... I called it "chipboard" because that's what Don Taylor called it in his book "Automotive Upholstery HandbooK". But in fact, it's a heavy duty cardboard material that Restoration Supply sells...

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

thank goodness you have the door cardboard...I figured you would get the right stuff.
Maybe I can do the tracing tomorrow..