Kevin Herron - Dublin, Ireland

Faulkner

Kevin Herron - Dublin, Ireland

Post by Faulkner »

100_0688_00.JPG

In his introduction elsewhere on the Forum, Kevin writes:
Kevin wrote:I have a '59 Plymouth Belvedere Limousine. There was a number of these cars exported to Antwerp, Belgium in '59 and stretched into 7 seater limousines. My car is flathead 6 with 3 speed manual. It is also right hand drive.

My car was sent from Belgium to Ireland CKD (completely knocked down) as it was cheaper to import and assemble here in Dublin. The car has been in Ireland from new. The model is a Belvedere but it has some Fury trim and a '57 Dodge dash. The export cars really were mix and match!
Kevin also passed on this additional information in correspondence:
Kevin wrote:My Plymouth is kept at my place in the country so I only use it a couple of times a year. We are in the Slievenamon Mountains...

I brought it to England the year before last for an event [2018], it was the first time in many years it did a long drive. It was great to use it for a full week covering huge mileage. We rebuilt the brakes last year, new shoes, hoses, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I'm still adjusting them! I can't seem to get them quite right. I have a number of other cars that I use throughout the years for vintage rallies etc., so unfortunately the Plymouth doesn't get much use.

All the Irish assembled cars were always referred to as Belvedere whether sedan or limousine. The term Coronado [for a limousine] as far as I'm concerned was only used in Belgium.
Kevin's car was featured in the Spring 2016 issue of "The Irish Veteran and Vintage Car Club (IVVCC) Journal". I've excerpted the article here - read on for lots of interesting facts about Plymouths in Ireland in general, and '59 Plymouths in particular!

KevinHerron.pdf

Kevin wrote:Since we last spoke another Irish assembled '59 Limousine has resurfaced here in Limerick. I always knew of the car but it changed hands and its new owner is using it regularly. Pat [Conroy] is the other Irish owner. Unfortunately with the Covid-19 situation the two cars have yet to meet!
(Pat Conroy's limousine can be found here. -Dan)
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Kevin Herron - Dublin, Ireland

Post by Faulkner »

Our friends at Irish Vintage Scene magazine also published another article that Kevin wrote about his limousine, and approved that it be posted here. Enjoy!

Capture.JPG
Here's the cover...
At A Stretch.pdf
...and the article itself
Faulkner

Re: Kevin Herron - Dublin, Ireland

Post by Faulkner »

Kevin Herron wrote:The car featured here was registered on June the 21st, 1959 to the Earl of Rosse, Birr Castle, Co. Offaly, who used it as his personal transport for approximately twelve years. In this time it was used to make several trips to Britain and across Europe, and transported many notable people including Britain’s Princess Margaret and her husband, Lord Snowdon when they stayed at Birr Castle.
And here is some vintage film footage of Prince Margaret's arrival!