What does it say?

Your banter here!
Faulkner

What does it say?

Post by Faulkner »

Some of you may have seen pictures from Mars, taken by Rover. In some cases, people project creatures onto the rock formations. Here's an example:

mars.jpg

Some folks think they see a giant crab-like creature hanging in the overcrop of rock. Here's another one:

tailfin1.jpg

Some people...

No wait! That's not a picture from Mars. That's a picture from the tailfin of this 1959 Plymouth!

curious.jpg

But...

What does it say? It doesn't say "Fury", which is the styling of this car.

Thanks again to Bernie Brouillet for the picture. N.B.: I do not know what it says, nor does Bernie! Who can figure this one out?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Re: What does it say?

Post by Matthew Keij »

looks like it says turbine
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I said it first.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, the "...bine" part seems like a match. And there was indeed a 1959 Plymouth turbine, using the Fury trim. But it was branded "Turbine Special", and the lettering was inside the trim:

turbine3.jpg
turbine2.JPG

So it's not consistent with the turbine that Plymouth built - and I think it's a stretch to say the first part says "Tur". But, what do I know?

tailfin1.jpg
curious.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks to Dick Koch, for providing this excellent http://www.allpar.com excerpt of an article originally written and copyrighted by Jim Benjaminson, and printed by Motorbooks International. The full article can be found here.
Jim Benjaminson wrote: Plymouth Turbine Cars
Following a public absence of nearly three years, Plymouth officially unveiled the CR2 turbine in a red 1959 Fury four-door hardtop. Like the original CR2 version in the 1956 and 1957-58 cars, this turbine was rated at 200hp. This car was taken out on the highway, logging a 576 mile test run from Detroit to New York City and back in December 1958.

1959-turbine-special.jpg

This second generation turbine, also considered "just a laboratory tool," was improved in nearly all respects. Three major components, the compressor, regenerator, and burner, showed significant improvements in operating efficiency. At an average speed of 38 mph, the turbine logged 19 mpg on the run east; on the return trip, averaging 51 mph, mileage dropped slightly to 17 mpg. Fuel used on this trip included diesel fuel, JP4 jet fuel, and regular gasoline.

gauges.jpg
For purposes of comparison, the nameplate from the Ghia Turbines of the mid-Sixties, vs. our mystery "Fury":

nameplate.jpg
tailfin1.jpg

It certainly does give one pause.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - I noticed two things about the white 2dr, Fury Hardtop that are different from the 4dr Hardtop Turbine car.

1. The valence is not a stock valence, Its not setback from the bottom edge of the bumper, it's flush and seems to have a oval opening. The valence on the turbine car looks to be stock.
2. The top of the dash has the standard two fins. While the turbine car has two round gauge pods.
What say you,
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, you're right about the dash. But don't ask me about how a valance should look - it should be smooshed against the splash pan, judging from Faulkner :o :shock: :?
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

I'm pretty sure this is a normal valance panel, the angle and distance of the camera is what alters the view slightly.

It's a staged photo for sure, has Chrysler Photographic markings on the back. Note that it was taken in the mid-day sun due to shadows cast by many objects, and I think I see on the original that auxiliary lighting was used, coming in low at the left front of the car, out of view of the camera. Creates a couple lengthy shadows from the tires extending towards the right rear of the car. Not sure if you can see that detail on the website photo copy.

I believe this picture, and even more so the 4 door on the turntable can teach us something about photographic techniques by the factory studios to present the cars in the most attractive perspective. Appears to me that the camera was set some distance away and a slight telephoto lens setting used to get the car to look right. Would be an interesting exercise to photo a car, any car, or object, and take a series of photos from the same spot but use differing focal lengths seeking the most pleasing effect.

Since the original photo is in my hands, and I cannot make out the nameplate wording by eye, I'll try to look at it under magnification in a day or two and report back to y'all.

One other question on this two-door car: is this truly regular Fury trim, without the Sportone insert? Did Furys have the insert standard or was it an option, as I really don't remember right now.

Bernie
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

The next guess is as good as any for what it says, beginning with "W" and the rest is up to your imagination. I cannot make it out even with 6X magnification on the original picture. Obviously an early promo photo, never saw it used anywhere. Hope you enjoyed seeing how nice and clear the air was back in the summer of 1958.

And I must apologize for the white spots on the photo, due to some tape that accidently landed on the photo long ago after I got it. When I removed it some of the photo tore off as well.

Lastly, answered my own question about Sport tone trim on Furys by looking at the Showcase, some cars don't have it. Was just going by memory as I do most of the time.

Hope everyone had fun with this and the other pictures, and whatever else pops up.

1959 was quite a year is so many ways, and we get to keep the memories going each and every day with this website. Thanks!!

BB