1959 SF Torqueflite pushbuttons

Looking for something? Post it here!
Kungfupanda

1959 SF Torqueflite pushbuttons

Post by Kungfupanda »

Hello, I'm looking for a good set of push buttons & switch for a 3 speed Sport Fury. Thanks
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: 1959 SF Torqueflite pushbuttons

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Hey KFP, I thought you had sold your wagon! Glad you still have it!

John Fowlie at Big M Auto Sales would be your best bet.

http://bigmauto.com

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

I did sell the wagon....bought a 56 Dodge Royal Lancer...then traded that for a 59 Sport Fury. That's why I need the push buttons, mine are pretty bad. I also need a few other parts, chrome pieces, etc. I've left John @ Big M a message. Thanks.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ahhhh back in the 59 Plymouth Fold again! I may be late in asking but have you posted any pictures of this SF for us to gaze upon?

ps, I moved my Dad from Wilmington, NC to be out here with me in Colorado , so no more NC trips for me, though I still have a younger brother still in Wilmington...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

I used to live in Southport, NC which is about 20 miles south of Wilmington, so I love that area. So this is my new car. I'm sure you have seen it advertised in Cali for sale. It needs a lot of work, floors, rockers, push buttons, some chrome, headliner, and though someone re-upholstered the interior non-stock, it'll do for now. It's likely to be my last one unless I win the lottery.
1798936_10201572796702372_452484668_o (1).jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Looks Good! I do remember it for sale but did not know that you had scored it! Looks like a solid foundation to work on. Live with the interior till it's time to finish it off.

Keep us abreast of your progress when you do really get into to it.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John's right, looks like a solid foundation. As for the interior, when I got my red and white SF the previous owner had the seats redone with white vinyl where the cloth should be. He didn't know where to get the correct material so he left the door panels alone and they had turned an ugly brown. I got the correct material from SMS and had the door panels redone but left the seats alone, this was back in 2003, the seats had been redone 15 years before. When I recently restored the car I left the seats as they were because frankly I liked the look. As soon as I put the car back on the road the foam in the seats turned to powder and was always a mess. I'm having the seats completely redone right now and am keeping the white vinyl. It's a Marine Vinyl with embossed pleats rather than sewn. It's should be easier to keep cleaned. As soon as I get them back I will post some pictures.
When I got my green SF in 2005 I had the seats redone with new cloth and vinyl material but after 9 years of my overly ample butt getting in and out, (should have used the swivel feature), the cloth has pulled away from the vinyl. I'm going to have that seat redone and install clear plastic covers I got from J.C. Whitney. Some friends talked me into not using the plastic and that was a mistake. Frank Lamp has plastic covers on his white SF and they look pretty good.
Good luck with you new car.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Hi Mark,
I thought I had a few pushbuttons remaining, but it seems I sold all the spares I had. If something turns up, you'll be the first to know!

---John
In rust we trust!
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Thanks guys. I've made a list of some of the things I need & have started chipping away at them. Found a front valance, so that's a biggy. I'm sure I'll need some advice in the near future from the experts, so get ready. :? Btw, how hard is the push button assy to replace?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Is this Guy's old car (from CA)?

Post a pic of the data plate.
I'll decode it. Thought this was an original red and white car
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Yes Matthew, this was Guy's car. I don't have a pic of the data plate yet. Did you already decode it when Guy owned the car?
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Hey Mr Kungfupanda...I Will chime in since I am up here on the forum...I just "rebuilt" my push button mechanism..."the springs" usually rust and break and that is critical to make the mechanism work properly(springs)...if you use a spring that is too stiff., the button will just spring back out...so the spring tension has to be perfect for it to work properly. I took out an original spring out of the unit and used it for length and tension...took a few times to get the spring tension right, but now all of the buttons work properly. You can take the unit apart from the back and take out a spring., there is four screws that hold the back bracket on....but it is a challenge to put it back on because of all of the arms., but with a little patience can be done.

The unit will be a bit of a challenge to take out too...the nuts that hold the unit to the dash are barried up in the dash area...so take a little time and patience to take it out., and of course you have to disconnect a couple of electrical wires and the shift cable that is attached to the shifter unit. That bracket is held on by two small screws that are also a little difficult to get to.

If you buy another used one, you may have the same problems., so try and fix the one you got....and while it is out., lube it up really good with some WD40 and press the buttons a bunch of times to make sure you have the button (spring) tension just right.

Good Luck!, Guy
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Wow, how and where on earth did you find a front valance so fast. They usually are hard to come by.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

Sounds like a fun project Guy, lol. I've found some buttons to replace the broken ones.
As far as the front valance, Dick, I was searching e-bay & found a 59 Plymouth wagon that was being parted out. The part they were selling I did not need, but in the pictures I saw a valance in the back of the wagon, so I emailed him & was able to purchase it. It has a few dings & some surface rust but was only about $180.00 with shipping. There was one on ebay a few days ago that did not sell. It was in good shape for $299.00 + shipping. Just save a search on ebay for a 1959 Plymouth front valance & you should get an email when one goes up for sale. If I find one I send a link.
Kungfupanda

Post by Kungfupanda »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Plymouth-S ... 7675.l2557
This is the one that was for sale. Maybe they will do a buy-it-now if you send them a message.