Dick Koch's convertible

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Dick's convertible project

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark -Thanks for the compliments. Last night when I took the dogs out I had to put on my windbreaker, it was 62 degrees, pretty chilly. The sky was crystal clear, no clouds, so I thought I would be able to get a lot done today. Wrong, its cloudy and rainey all morning. Put the horns on, finished installing the windows in the doors so ready for some serious assembly but first had some problems with the dash alignment so I called my friend Larry and got that fixed. Got the Top pump and cylinders installed and wired. So next will be the heat and sound shield on the cabin floor and assembly of the top mechanism. Then, hopfully the doors and front fenders. Still raining so I got started on the stainless steel trim dent repair and polishing.
Still rainey this morning so I thought I would finish this post. Oh, our neighborhood has approx. 30 peacocks that roam all over the place, they have been here before we moved here in 1973. Ten of them roost at my neighbor across the street and they wander in our yard daily to partake of the bird feeders. When I pull Charleen outside so I can lower and work on the convertible a big male wanders over to admire himself looking at his refletion in the bumber wings. He will stand there for hours enjoying himself, much the same as our president. Here are a few pictures.
Dick.
100_2458.JPG
HI, GOOD LOOKIN!
100_2460.JPG
OH! I'M IN LOVE.
100_2461.JPG
WHEN I FINISH HERE I THINK I WILL GO FIND THE LADIES.
100_2462.JPG
HOPE THEY WORK.
100_2463.JPG
NEW TOP MOTOR AND CYLINDERS.
100_2464.JPG
100_2468.JPG
INNER WINDSHIELD TRIM.
100_2470.JPG
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I see you have those plastic visor clips installed. Pardon me if I repeat old news, but they tend to break off at the threads. Tom Fox figured out how to tap a hole into each hook (where the threaded shaft used to be) and ran a screw into each. A little preventative action will save a big disassembly/repair headache later on.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

On the convertibles, originally there was a top well drain..a small brass? drain secured with two or three little screws right thru the top well and thru the floor of the car. I never did install it. What are your plans regarding this detail?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Sorry Roger, somehow I missed your post about the top well drain. I've thought about this many times because I don't have one. I planned on asking Tom Fox and John Quinn about that very thing and what to do about it. Tom, John??????
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Shoot! I had an extra one but gave it to the Matthew Keij for his Convert. I snagged them off of ebay several years ago. They were used a lot in the early and mid 60's on Plymouth and Dodge Converts. I have not seen them again but will look again for them. You can add it later once we find them.

The one I had came off of a 63 Dodge convertible and it is identical to what is on a friends 58 Desoto Firedome convert in his well liner. I will start the hunt for another one for you.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

That's the best part of this List!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John I appreciate you helping me find a top well drain.

Latest update - Got the Eastwood sound and heat barrier installed with no problems. Received the exhaust system from Kepich and it fit nicely but will need some tweaking for clearance problems. I didn't go with the stainless steel system because the Aluminized steel will last at least 15 years with the small amount of use it will get. I thought about going with clamps but I think I will have the pipes welded. One of the studs on the left side exhaust manifold stripped so I will have to take that manifold off and repair it. I put the top assemble together (what a nightmare even with all the pictures) will have to clean it up and repaint as necessary. I finished dent repair and polishing of all the stainless trim and aluminum sill plates. Even got some installed then ran out of clips. Got the trailer hitch installed. While rooting around for something else I found the forgotten headlight buckets and cleaned and painted them. My son Steele helped me install the deck lid but it was sticking up real high, I thought it was because of the gasket, I was going to put shims on the rear bolt to lower the back end of the lid but first I wanted to move the lid to the left because it was to close to the fender on the right. I loosened the bolts and tapped the hinge and then tightened up everthing to see how it fit and lo and behold it fit almost perfectly all around. I haven't the faintest idea what I did to correct it in one fell swoop. Had my friend Tony help me install the doors, we pushed, pulled, lowered, raised, cussed and then gave up for now. The door on the pasenger side fits nicely at the windshield but the other side has a one inch gap and the door gaskets are holding both doors out to the extreme. See the pitchuhs.
Dick.
100_2475.JPG
100_2476.JPG
100_2477.JPG
100_2479.JPG
100_2482.JPG
100_2483.JPG
100_2497.JPG
100_2499.JPG
100_2511.JPG
100_2513.JPG
100_2516.JPG
100_2518.JPG
100_2519.JPG
100_2523.JPG
100_2524.JPG
100_2533.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I found body panel alignment most difficult. Matthew can attest to that.. The drivers door always stood out from the body, and repeated closing of door caused the wind-wing frame to break at one corner. I believe I tore out the new weatherstrip in aggravation
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

I'm amazed the convert's exhaust system fits as well as it does. To this day i'll occaisonaly get a noise from some interferance if it feels like it. Always gives me something to do-like elmer fudd chasin that wabbit. Looking great Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

All my help went to NY state to be with thier kids and grandkids for the holidays, can you believe it. I've been puttzing around waiting for them to come back to help with aligning the doors, setting and aligning the fenders. As you can see from the pictures I need a lot of help. Got 38 pieces of Stainless and Aluminum trim to do for a 62 Chevy Inpala that will keep me out of trouble and help pay for some of the Upholstery work. Once everthing is set and aligned then I can finish the splash pan, grill, lights, valence and wiring. I want to get all that done before starting the engine. I took the driver side exhaust manifold off and replaced the stripped stud and re-installed it. I changed to a spin on filter but I 'm not sure I'll be able to get the filter off because of the close fit of the exhaust pipe. Will probably need some adjustment. be back later, gotta go watch the Bengals and Ravens, Packers and SF.
Dick.
100_2541.JPG
100_2546.JPG
100_2547.JPG
100_2548.JPG
100_2550.JPG
100_2551.JPG
100_2552.JPG
100_2553.JPG
100_2554.JPG
big m

Post by big m »

Looks great, Dick!!

You' will be on the road in no time the way you are going.

---John
In rust we trust!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Sorry I'm too far away, I would help day and night!
You are doing a great job
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; looks like everything is falling into place,looks great!! Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick, the car looks great! No rush, but can you take a pic of your Fender skirt brackets that go on the inner wheel well flange...Just want to make sure mine are oriented correctly when I put mine on this winter. Also, if you can describe how you located the brackets too would help me out a bit.

PS, Matthew loves Fender Skirts! I like them as you can put them on or off depending on the look you want for a car show or a cruise..

Thanks!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - My skirts never come off. Well maybe sometime!! Heas sum pitchuhs, you don't need brackets in the front. I have extra brackets if you need them. It's raining here and it looks like an all day rain. Until I get the doors and fenders aligned there is nothing to do. All the little stuff is done. Waiting for the bumpers, door panels, seat upholstery and top installation.
Dick
100_2561.JPG
100_2562.JPG
100_2563.JPG
100_2564.JPG
100_2565.JPG