Dick Koch's convertible

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Dick's convertible project

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - As soon as I posted the above message I went to ebay to see what was new for 1959 Plymouth parts and lo an behold the very first item was a glass bowl fuel filter. Take a look.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Looks wonderful Dick - you the man!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mo pitchuhs - Got the body repainted, came out pretty good this time. Everything is painted except the front fenders. Was paid a nice visit by Mark Evans and his wife but they were unable to stay long, had to catch a flight back home. Took them for a ride in Charleen but I have to apoligize to Mark for the rought ride. Unbeknownsttome the right front tire was in the process of seperating and the vibration was pretty bad. I took a chance and went to my clubs weekly car show (20 miles one way) and made it there OK but on the way home the tire went flat on the turnpike. Fortunatly I found a relatively wide spot to change the tire. Question, have any of you ever changed a tire by brail? The only light was occasional flases of light from passing cars and trucks. Didn't think I had a flashlight but the next morning when putting the trunk back in order I found two of those suckers. Go figure. Installed a brand new firewall insulation board from Gary Gorers (perfect fit). Installed the inner plenum I saved from my 60 Desoto and the fresh air vent door rebuilt by Gary Gorers (great job). Next I installed the heater core and engine bay plenum, the hood hinges and the power brakes vacuum chanber. Installed all the vacuum actuators and hoses, parking brake cable, shifter cable, got all the accelerator and kickdown linkage installed (correctly I think). speedometer cable. Broke out the wiring harness from YNZ (they make it easy). installed the taillights, license light and connected wiring. Installed gas filler door and Belvedere emblems on rear fenders, Got fan and pully on, installed V-belts, spark plugs and wires, distributor, coil, and on and on and on. I'm exhausted and I'm going to bed will post pictures and finish tomorrow.
Dick.

OK, heas da pitchuhs.
100_2221.JPG
100_2233.JPG
100_2237.JPG
100_2239.JPG
MARK EVANS AND HIS BEAUTIFUL WIFE.
100_2240.JPG
100_2241.JPG
100_2242.JPG
100_2243.JPG
100_2245.JPG
100_2249.JPG
100_2250.JPG
100_2252.JPG
100_2254.JPG
100_2257.JPG
100_2258.JPG
100_2260.JPG
100_2263.JPG
100_2264.JPG
100_2266.JPG
ALTERNATOR BRACKET, GOT ON EBAY.
100_2269.JPG
100_2270.JPG
100_2274.JPG
100_2277.JPG
100_2278.JPG
100_2279.JPG
100_2280.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Here's a guy that not only obviously knows what he's doing, but he does it steadily and with focus, all the while documenting it with great photos, and then he takes the time to post them all on this site, with explanations attached...
Dick, you stand alone at the top. There is no one else that is this thorough, this skilled, and this devoted to 59 Plymouth Forum.
You are nearing the completion of your Belevedere convertible, and I can't imagine who will ever equal your efforts AND contribution to this site. :D :D
Last edited by rogerh on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

AW, COME ON ROGER, that's a little much. But thanks anyway. There are many guys on this site that have plenty of devotion to rebuilding thier cars. Besides I had no choice, you can't restore a mess like I started with halfway, all you end up with is a painted mess. I recollect you did a nice restoration on a convertible a while back.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Too many accolades?
Then you'd better cut back on your list of skills, starting with automotive painting!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I guess if you like a "better then Factory" type of restoration...Then what Dick is doing will do.... :wink:

Seriously, Your work is stellar Mr. Koch! I am planning to ship down my convert to you for the Winter for a complete refurbish. Can I get on your appointment book for a time slot before it fills up? Or am I already to late for this winter?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
big m

Post by big m »

Looks great, Dick, you're really moving along!!

Did you have to wait long for the parts from Goers, or is he really back into the swing of things now?

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John F. - I don't know what his condition is health wise. As far as parts from him I ordered well in advance so I don't remember how long it took but I'm pretty sure it wasn't more than 4 weeks. The lady I talk to is Charlotte, the phone Number to reach her is 406-756-6715. Who ever calls that number don't let them know it came from me. If she can't answer the question she will ask Gary.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, A question for you on the interior installation part of the heater box install. What length metal screws did you use at what location on the box? On my car I had two different length screws to work from.

It seems like that due to the internal slope of the inside firewall, That the smaller screws should be used on the top part (or so I believe) and the longer screws are to be used on the bottom part of the heater box when attaching it to the interior fire wall. (I did use the hollow out bell end ferrules as stand offs that were on the heater box when I took it off)

Just want to make sure I did mine correctly...

thanks!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - I went and looked at the inner plenum on my car, there are three screws with ferrules to prevent it from crushing the firewall insulation board. The screws and ferrules are all the same length. One mounts above the fan housing right next to the water valve, one mounts at the bottom of the fan housing and one mounts at the very far end of the plenum. If it hasen't fallen out yet you did it right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dick
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks! It has not fallen out yet but I had ferrules of two different lengths..... I do have some more that I can make all of them the same length. Looks like another winter project to do!!!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Listen up allayall, never, never, never install the dashboard before you install the door weatherstrip. there are two little pieces of metal that holds the weatherstrip in place at the sides of the dashboard (see pictures). I wondered why the weatherstrip kept falling out in that area on Charleen. Also always make sure you install the wiper motor and arms and the heater valve operating cable before you install the dash. AARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Roger you commented about me knowing what I was doing, I wish. I also insalled an electric fuel pump so I don't have to crank and crank and crank all the time. The convertible top aluminum frame pieces adjusting screws were frozen in place and they all broke off so I took all the pieces back to the machinest for repair and replacement, they did a wonderful job. I so happy, it's starting to look like a car.
Dick.
100_2281.JPG
TAIL LIGHT INSTALLED AND WIRED.
100_2293.JPG
FUEL SENDER INSTALLED, HOPE IT WORKS.
100_2299.JPG
100_2300.JPG
IN LINE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP, SWITH ON DASH, FOR PRIMING ONLY.
100_2301.JPG
RADIATOR SUPPORT RUBBER MOUNTS.
100_2303.JPG
ALUMINUM CONVERTIBLE TOP FRAME PIECES.
100_2304.JPG
ADJUSTING SCREWS
100_2306.JPG
100_2307.JPG
100_2308.JPG
100_2309.JPG
100_2312.JPG
100_2314.JPG
100_2315.JPG
100_2318.JPG
100_2322.JPG
100_2324.JPG
100_2325.JPG
100_2326.JPG
100_2328.JPG
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Looking real good, Dick - really good! Congratulations, and thanks for posting all the steps and issues for others to gain from. You should compile a book or CD when done, best seller for sure.

A couple questions - What color did you paint it? Ultra bright white? Looks much whiter than Iceberg white. Any color you want it is fine... The splash aprons, didn't read if they are Gary Goers items or just something you whipped up - I vaguely remember something like that in there, kind of like heavy roofing paper? And what happened to the generator? Thought you kept it.

Lastly, just saying how nicely the tail lights look on the bare body!

Bernie
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I remember when I re-did my inner splash pieces, I bought some sheet rubber and made my own. The originals were rubber, not tarpaper, at least in mine.