We're moving!

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!

What do you think about Dan setting up a new webserver for 59plymouth.net?

This is a great idea - the present server is too sluggish.
100%
This idea sucks. What if we get hacked because the new site is vulnerable?
No votes
Frankly, I don't care - there's nothing on this site that interests me anyway!
No votes

Total votes: 3

Faulkner

We're moving!

Post by Faulkner »

...er, that is: I'm moving. 59plymouth.net, to a new server. "Too long, didn't read": This process will be disruptive.

For 17 years, someone else has always managed the server on which I've run our webpages. That made it easier for me to run it - they worried about managing the server, and I worried about running the software on it. But it also stymied me - for example, there have been issues in diagnosing problems with pages delivered by the web server, which could be identified by changing the level of error logging in the environment. But they have refused to do it, because of the potential impact on other users of the same server.

The alternative is for me to "rent a server" from them, where they give me the keys and walk away. If I run into server management issues, well - it's my problem. But, I get to do whatever I want on the server.

I've reached the point where this alternative seems the only way out for me. And it also promises the opportunity to provide more server power, for little additional cost. The problem is, I need to school myself in server management, and I am a neophyte. The risks of getting hacked, though, are great if I am not careful.

If you are wondering why the new Showcase entries have drifted off, it's because I've been busy setting up the new server. It will take me a couple more weeks to nail things down. And then when I am ready to make the move, the transition itself may take a day or two. This is just a "heads up", I'll give another shout when I'm about to make the move.

...and maybe you've been away for so long, you'll hardly notice :o But I hope a new server, with lots of power, and lots of new content, will bring you back. Stay tuned!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: We're moving!

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 am If you are wondering why the new Showcase entries have drifted off, it's because I've been busy setting up the new server. It will take me a couple more weeks to nail things down. And then when I am ready to make the move, the transition itself may take a day or two.
A couple of weeks. Yeah, rite! :oops: I am still struggling through issues in managing the new server. But, I *AM* working on it. Sorry for the delay (if you're still out there), and hoping to nail down these issues soon.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Wow, Keep up the good work, I have no idea what this would entail, just can imagine.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

...and we're back!

Mostly. Some tidying up to do, but this is coming to you from the new server. If you're able to log in ( :o ), you'll be able to read this message. Please let me know of any problems. And now back to our regularly scheduled program!