Dash Pad & Brake Vacuum

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Jonesn

Dash Pad & Brake Vacuum

Post by Jonesn »

I have two questions.

First, this car appears to have come with a padded dash (see pic). Does this piece just clip on? What does the framework look like (I seen pictures of the actual pad). Is this a piece I may be able to find and restore, or will I need to look at fabricating something, or possibly have to go all George Barris.

Second, the vacuum lines for the power brakes obvious are not original (notice the check valve). I've noticed many of the cars with power brakes have a two hole canister, but I haven't seen any with the single, with the canister actually connected. Was there just a simple T-connector? surely it looked cleaner then what I've got going.

Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

In my opinion, that cannister is original...I do not know when they changed from one-hose to two...
Dash pads are mostly vinyl and foam, but there is one band of internal metal...for a replacement, Just Dashes in CA is the only "show in town" ...over $400 last time I checked...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have the same style of canister, with a single input line and a check valve.

And Roger's right about "Just Dashes" -- although, I think for that price, they expect you to provide the internal band so they can make a dash pad for the next guy! I've get to take my makeshift pad off, to see if I have the original band under there...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi - I just received a new dash pad from Just Dashes www.JUSTDASHES.COM It comes black for $400.00 if you want a color thats another $100.00 freight to Florida was $35.00. It is very nice. You do not have to send them anything, no original pad or metal pieces. It comes with a bottle of glue to glue to the dash.

My vacuum canister has two hose outlets, one with a check valve running to the rear of the intake manifold the other running to the power brake chamber.

Hopes this helps.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Just another vote for Just Dashes. I had a '64 Chevy Impala SS dash pad refinished by them years ago and it was quite nice. The price was steep, but the quality was great. I have never heard any bad reports about Just Dashes.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hmm, I was told they needed the internal metal bar so you could snap it to the dash like the original. Now they send out glue...
Jonesn

Post by Jonesn »

Looks like I need to start looking for one of those metal strips.
Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dick Koch's post says he got a dashpad from them and it glued to the dash no problem, so apparently you don't need the metal strip
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

The old dash pad I had on my car was done by a local upholsterer, not bad but not original and there was no metal strip, but when I ordered the new one from Just dashes they did not even ask for the metal strip, I asked them about mounting the new one and they said you just glue it on.
Dick.
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

Dick,
Was that a 59 dash pad you just got? I didn't see it on their list?
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes if was for a 59 Ply SF. Click on the Just Dashes link in my post above, when you get to the home page click on photo gallery. They come black, they will color it for you for more $.
Dick.
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

Dick ,
Thats great!
I was going into the dash section and they didn't have it listed, sure as **** the way you sent me in. They do have them and even a nice picture to drool over!
Thanks!

For anyone else hitting the same road block as I did, here is the direct link.
http://www.justdashes.com/ProdGallery3.htm
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
Jonesn

Post by Jonesn »

It seems to me any decent upholstery shop could make a piece that glues on. However there is the question of the little metal clips riveted to the dash. Are these being removed, or do the pads they make have the metal band to fit the clips/slots?
Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I can't answer that question because the one I had on my car was made by a local upholsterer with sewn seams not moulded like the original. He then glued that one on so I had no clips or metal strip when I took it off.
The just dashes pad is moulded like factory and covers everything when you glue it on.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Oh, I forgot, the Just Dashes Pad does have extra material at the bottom where the chrome strip goes.
Dick.