The Black Bel of Boise

Jonesn

The Black Bel of Boise

Post by Jonesn »

Ok, I got some really low quality, disposable camera pics, lets see if I get post a few.

The car looks much better then it did when I brought it home. It was full of carbage, took my two days just to clean it out. It was covered in paint overspray, so I had to scrap all the glass (which seems to be tinted, slightly), and SOS the trim.

There had obviously been metal bits (nut, bots, screws, coffee cans, pennies) sitting on this car for some time, so I sanded and primered the top.

I've also pressred washed the engine, and rebuilt the carb (which hasn't helped).

The poor picture quality also helps hide the defects.

Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
big m

Post by big m »

Your Belvy looks to be in pretty good condition, how is the general condition of the body and floors? ---John
In rust we trust!
Jonesn

Rust

Post by Jonesn »

There is rust, but nothing major, a dime sized hole on the drivers side floor, one slightly bigger on the passenger side. The rockers show rust, but its minor and repairable. I haven't gotten the trunk open, but I have had the back seat out. What was visible from the back seat was in good shape, but I could see daylight coming from the passenger well.

The Hood and front fenders had been sanded and primered at some point, but it appears they ran out of primer before they finished, as half the hood is bare.

Also, I don't believe the trunk lid is original, as there appears to be turquoise around the edges where the paint is chipped/scratched.

Considering how poorly this car was maintained, and how comparatively little rust there is, I suspect this has been a desert car for most of its life.
Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
Jonesn

Post by Jonesn »

Looks like rust is a bigger issue then I originally thought. I decided to sand sand and reprimer the front (as it hadn't been completed the first time), and discovered why it was primer. Both front fenders have been reformed over the headlights.

The more I work on it, the more it becomes clear, that someone had started trying to restore this car at some point. Based on the hows, I would guess $ was an issue.
Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

this era of mopar are know for rust issues. considering where u live, i bet u got a hold of a useable example.
the number one reason y my car was originally salvaged was the gas tank was rusted through. sittting for 15+ years have rusted a out signifcately more, my front seat is only anchored in place by scrap plywood to keep it from falling through the hole/s and steel wire to tire it down. :oops: the seat rocks, but i think i can drive it, i'm waiting on the donor gas tank though, hopefully anyday now... :roll: --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.