Getting a start on the convertible project

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Getting a start on the convertible project

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

John (Big M), Here are some pictures of my convert. I took pics of the passenger and drives side leading edge of the inner wheel well hump. Hopefully it encompasses what are you need me to take measurements of.

Now, Only being in the 59 Plymouth world for 4 years, I thought the extra Convertible X "frame to body" outrigging was the one that goes just under the seat frame reinforcement plate that is on the underside of the floor body, mine are rusty, but you can see a square (sorta square) support that goes down from the seat frame extra support bracket and picks up this extra bracing from the frame to support the floor seat area, thereby giving it some extra rigidity to body.There is one more support that spans to the X frame point too that is different from a HT.

Well Instead of guessing I looked in the 57-58 Plymouth Service manual and on page 136 and 137 they show that there is two extra bracing points on each side of an convertible (4 total) that is not on the HT version. One inboard and one outboard of the outer frame logitudital to give extra strength to the Convert body shell. Look at the convert frame dimensions (page 137) and you will see that at the location point that is from the front part of the frame 72 25/32 inch and the 77 23/32 inch point of the frame layout the special convertible support points.

Hope that helps, I will take measurements of any part for you to fab up. If you can circle the area I will take better closer pictures of it.

John Q.
100_3806.JPG
drivers side
100_3807.JPG
passenger side, you can still see my patch on the outside. I will be POR 15 it this weekend
100_3808.JPG
raised formed block on underside of floor brace support that picks up one of the convert mtg points
100_3809.JPG
drivers side ram convert top piston anchor
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
big m

Post by big m »

I'm slowly getting back to work on the car, I've completed the fabrication of the right rear wheelhouse, and derusted it.
59SFconvertible001-1.jpg
59SFconvertible002-3.jpg
59SFconvertible001-2.jpg
Now, the wheelhouse is fitted, and tacked into place. Final welding will be a later step, after all parts are adjusted for fit.
59SFconvertible002-4.jpg
59SFconvertible003-4.jpg
The rear section will need lots of cleanup work, welding up small holes, and of course, grinding to ensure a good fit.
59SFconvertible004-2.jpg
In rust we trust!
matty

Post by matty »

Flippin heck that cars in more bits than mine! :lol:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Damn John Q. - I thought my car was a mess, compared to yours mine is a piece of cake. I really admire you for taking on such a project. As roger said about my car, I don't know if I would do it. Wish you all the luck in the world. When you finish it maybe we should meet in Nawlins and get some Seafood Gumbo and a Roast Beef Po Boy Samich, after all we will need to build our strength back up.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey John Fwolie,
I am happy to see a new post from you. I know winter time is slow for all of us.

Sure, your convertible is a MAJOR project, but you have never allowed that you were intimidated by the job, therefore I am sure you can make this one come together.
-roger-
big m

Post by big m »

The weather this weekend was not conducive to any outdoor activities, so I labored away on Rusty some more.

After cleaning up any of the mating surfaces, I located the lead seam where the front will be connected to. Heat from a brazing torch made the lead flow out, and I drilled out the spotwelds.

59SFconvertible005-3.jpg
59SFconvertible006-2.jpg
59SFconvertible007-2.jpg
I found a short crack in the metal beneath, so I brazed it up while it is apart. The brazing process also will kill any live rust.
59SFconvertible008-1.jpg
The procesws was repeated on the donor body, no surprises were found.
59SFconvertible009-2.jpg
59SFconvertible010-2.jpg
Going together- This took two people to position onto the body. Slug-[Rodger] was a big help here. The rear corners were brazed [as per factory] and a series of clamps kept the body alignment in check.

Mig welding the drilled out spotwelds, these will later be ground off flush. One problem I ran into was that the driver's side quarter panel wanted to moilcan inwards when the top seam was pinched together, after much consideration, I remembered the RH quarter on the original convertible had taken a hit at one time, and was tweaked. I found a bit of secondary damage on the deck panel, where the metal was pushed upwards. A bit of hammer and dolly work allowed it to settle back into place, and the left quarter panel no longer wanted to contract. Thank goodness!

59SFconvertible013-1.jpg
59SFconvertible011-2.jpg
59SFconvertible012-1.jpg
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

John, great work on mating the two cars together and saving a valuable convert. Your attention to detail will pay off.

Dick, the interior of my car (other then the floors) just had surface patenia that all has been neutralized and removed. Not as bad as you think it is. (I hope....)

My Bad, this is John Fowlie's thread. I will take a time out for my bad manners! :oops:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John Q - Somehow I confused your and John Fowlies projects. Sorry. Good luck to you both. Wish I had a convertible.
no matter what condition.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ok Dick, I will take you off of the block I had you on inter-club correspondace :lol:

I had to go to take a look at my car and figure out what you did not like about it.. I can stop going to therapy.... LOL

John F. Keep on with your restoration progres pictures. It is inspiring to see what can be brought back.

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Great work John Fowlie. Makes me feel guilty for whining about my little brake job.
big m

Post by big m »

I finished positioning and welding the stands and braces, these will just need a final grinding, to be done once the body is assembled and on a rotisserie. Looks like things are lining up the way they should, so it will be on to the next step.

59SFconvertible002-6.jpg
59SFconvertible004-4.jpg
59SFconvertible003-6.jpg
59SFconvertible005-4.jpg
59SFconvertible006-3.jpg
In rust we trust!
big m

Post by big m »

This is what I had to make for both sides. These are drains for the convertible top well, they channel the water away from the upholstered surfaces in the rear seat area. The one shown here is from the driver's side. The passenger side one was non-existent!

59SFconvertible001-4.jpg
59SFconvertible007-3.jpg
I fabricated a new one using measurements from the remainder of the old one, as well as the '59 DeSoto's parked nearby-
59SFconvertible008-2.jpg
A mirror image piece was made for the passenger side-
59SFconvertible009-3.jpg
Here I am fitting the left one on to the piece that will be welded to the convertible frame assembly. I used brass rod to fasten these, as the original piece they would be welded to was weakened by rust, but not bad enough to redo. Welding with a mig would probably burn through-
59SFconvertible010-3.jpg
59SFconvertible012-2.jpg
In rust we trust!
big m

Post by big m »

I got the left side quarter window frame and supports completed. Spent two hours just to determine where the main support runner that holds the vertical window guide in place situated. The DeSoto uses different quarter windows, so it was of little help here. Luckily I saved the remains of the quarters I had cut off long ago, hopefully my measurements are correct here.

59SFconvertible001-5.jpg
This is the main vertical support, the bottom had just a bit left, and thepiece it fastened too was pretty far gone. I removed the 2-door hardtop window stop, as the mount for the support would need to go in its place.
59SFconvertible002-7.jpg
This is the remains of the mount base, not much to go by, but enough
59SFconvertible003-7.jpg
I made a new piece for the vertical support, with slotted holes for the adjustment, and welded it on to the support-
59SFconvertible004-5.jpg
This is the new mounting base, I have it spot welded in place.
59SFconvertible005-5.jpg
The upper piece of the support is now tacked into the quarter panel-
59SFconvertible006-4.jpg
The assembled support is now finally in place-
59SFconvertible007-4.jpg
This is the rear piece that connects the inner quarter window frame to the front of the wheelwell. Pretty well rusted away-
59SFconvertible008-3.jpg
Rusted remnants of pieces that are replaced by better metal, including the door jamb itself.
59SFconvertible009-4.jpg
59SFconvertible010-4.jpg
Inner brace- this one will be reused as it is undamaged, spot welds behind it needed to be accessed, so it was removed-
59SFconvertible011-4.jpg
The inner quarter window frame, ready for reinstallation-
59SFconvertible012-3.jpg
The rear piece, along with a replacement I made, it's hard to tell in the photos, but this piece requires a strange compound curve, and is stamped from the factory. I used blacksmithing techniques to get a replacement piece fairly close-
59SFconvertible013-2.jpg
The panel is now in place-
59SFconvertible014-1.jpg
In rust we trust!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

John, your skills are truly amazing :!: :!: :!:

I am impressed by your progress, making a car out of nothing but some parts that are hardly recognizable :shock:

Hats of to you.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
big m

Post by big m »

I got the passenger side all rebuilt and installed, no need to show a ton of photos, since it was similar to the work on the driver's side. Coming soon, the 'Big Dip' experiment.

---John

59SFconvertible001-6.jpg
59SFconvertible002-8.jpg
In rust we trust!