Getting a start on the convertible project

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
big m

Post by big m »

Yes, I have been watching that auction, although the price is already over 2000.00. With the additional cost of transport, probably another 100.00, it is already reaching the top I would pay for it. We'll see how spirited the bidding becomes.

Here are a couple more 'in progress' pics of my project. Removing the hardtop, and installing the convertible windshield frame. ---John
'59 SF windshield frame 009.jpg
'59 SF windshield frame 005.jpg
'59 SF windshield frame 001.jpg
In rust we trust!
big m

Post by big m »

Windshield frame installed, just needing to finish the seam with lead, which will be done during the bodywork phase. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it is a bit dark in the barn. ---John
'59 SF windshield frame 008.jpg
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Glad you agree! Sometimes I am right about things..
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

That prior remark was a reply to Dick regarding aftermarket a/c..

John, I admire your energy level and metalworking abilities!
I dont know if it was my bodyman's fault or what, but I have always had an alignment problem where the drivers vent frame meets the "A" pillar.
My bodyman had a different approach to the windshield..I dont think he swapped out the entire "surround", but I have photos of him trying to adjust the "tilt" of it. My advice is of little value, but perhaps you can dryfit the doors and vent frames to see how the line up.
As for the cvt in SD, he says it is complete, says nothing about rust, says the top bows are bent (obvious in photos) and that a tab (?) is broken off over the driver's window.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

cvt bid gone over 2500..
big m

Post by big m »

I'm seriously doubting that I will bid on that car. I can do a whole lot of fabrication work for the price of getting that car here, and who knows what would need to be done to the top parts on it.

Roger, I may need to ask you for some precise measurements and photos of your top components when the time comes. ---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I'll be glad to help any way I can..
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

the South Dakota Belvie cvt sold for just under 3K...
big m

Post by big m »

Well, as it turns out, I'm glad I didn't bid on that SD car just to get the header bow. Johnny G in Florida turned up a nice one for me, after a year of searching!

Here are some more pics of the project-
'59 SF 009.jpg
'59 SF 008.jpg
'59 SF 007.jpg
In rust we trust!
big m

Post by big m »

Readying the hardtop body to accept the convertible clip. The hardest thing will be to repair the wheelwells and quarter window panels, as the rust has weakened everything. The wheelwells are completely different in the convertible models. ---John
'59 SF 012.jpg
'59 SF 011.jpg
'59 SF 010.jpg
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

John, you are up to your neck in that project! You can easiily see how it cost me $5K to have someone do what you are doing.
We should all get together and buy you a new digital camera for Christmas...such interesting and talented work but such grainy pictures being the only record..
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

John,

when you are ready then you really can say: "I built it MYself".

I hope you have the strengh to finish this project, as crazy as it is.

Stefan
big m

Post by big m »

Thanks Stephan. I am having to put the project on temporary hold, as a customer in England has ordered a rust-free '57 Plymouth hardtop, and I am having to assemble it from parts in the yard. It will than be shipped to Tennessee, where another guy will be making it into a Christine clone, before being shipped to the U.K. This will pay for a good part of the resto supplies I will need for the '59 project.

Also, just hauled in a total of 5 '59 Desotos, that I am cleaning in preparation for their sale. Too much work, not enough time for my own projects!

Looks like your 361 is coming along nicely!! ---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Please post pictures of teh Desotos, maybe nobody will complain on thie Plymouth site
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I won't complain, I have a 1960 Desoto Adventurer, a unrestored adventurer. I will send pictures if I can figure out how.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.