1959 Belvedere

midohiomoparsource

1959 Belvedere

Post by midohiomoparsource »

Picking it up hopefully next week.

It is a 4 door sedan, which is what we wanted because we have three young kids.
Wife and I were looking for a 55-56 but she saw this one and fell in love.
It is a very base model, flat head 6 with 3 on the tree.
Plans are: big block mopar and 727 using the 3 speed column/shifter, upgrade front brakes to disc out of Cordoba/NewYorker and make it a driver "rat rod". Flat black, aqua (to match interior) roof and either flame outlines in aqua, or just fancy stripe desing on the hood, trunk.

We just wanted a solid car to start with and we can work from there.
Will post pics when we get it home.

Matt
Enjoy the look and styles of the older Mopars, and the speed and boost of the turbo Mopars!
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

Matt,
Congrats!
Is it the black one from PA? if so,
I was watching that pretty close, he ran that auction several times with a reserve that couldnt get met.. I'm glad to see you are going to save it.. I don't feel to bad now for not snipping it, I was going to use it as a parts car.. Welcome to the group!
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
midohiomoparsource

It is that one.

Have you seen it in person?

We were looking at 55-56 sedans, and she was home while I was at work one day and she told me when I got home that she found the one she wanted, and now we own it. Had planned on getting this Friday, but buddy whos truck I was going to use just had a baby monday, so he has to replan. So, hopefully in two weeks we can go get it home.

I just hope its not only a parts car, and it is worth saving as we don't have a bunch of money to throw into it. Basically drive it like it is rest of summer and hope to do the V8 conversion and front disc brake conversion over the winter and just make it a nice driver/rat rod

Matt
Enjoy the look and styles of the older Mopars, and the speed and boost of the turbo Mopars!
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

No, not seeing it in person was the main factor in not bidding on it..
My Main interest in the car would have been the front fenders as spares for mine. I was leary of the sellers discription as solid, did his use of the word solid, mean it was a solid car before the repaint, or that he sees no rust when he looks at it ? Which could mean it has 5 gallons of bondo in it already?

I have bought to many cars of ebay that were advertised one way and were the not even close when I went to pick them up..
For instance the 59 I'm working on now was listed as non running (no transmission) with a fresh rebuilt motor.. To make a long story short,
The heads were redone, everything else was cleaned and painted.. I got it home bolted a standard flywheel to it and tried to start it.. locked tight!
Head gasket had leaked into #8 cylinder and it sat 2 years that way.
But for every lemon I bought, I have also found some real good cars that were listed as as junk but were actualy prizes..

I bought a 54 Merc 2 months ago that was listed as a rusty, non running v8 Automatic.. That car has all papers in the glovebox since the day it was bought new.. It had two owners and has 51,000 miles on it.. I had it running 10 minutes after it was unloaded and was driving it around the yard in less than an hour, (I had to rig up a gas jug, I didnt want to use the 20 year old gas that was in the tank)..

I also bought a 60 Dodge Matador that was listed as a rusty v8 parts car..
again this one had the reciepts in the glovebox, 34,000 original miles. I did have to replace the rusty Front fenders with a rust free pair from Texas but the floors are as near to being perfect as I have ever seen on a 55-61 forwardlook car..

I hope you get one of the prizes that can still be found and that with a little cash and elbow grease you get it up and going..

My kids love going out for rides in the old cars that I have running..
I know my son has been bitten by the old car bug, he fell in love at 12 years old with a 55 Plymouth I had here so I gave it to him, he is now 14 and will work whenever he can to get money to spend on that 55..

My 11 year old daughter has also been bitten only not to the extent,
her taste is mainly with converts..

Your kids will love going out for rides in the old beast!

Keep us posted

midohiomoparsource

Well, we got it home after an interesting trip back.

The car is of course rougher then expected, all the usual rust spots are there and there is some mud in it.

I don't think it is anything that can't be dealt with, but haven't really torn into it or anything yet. My wife loves it and she says she don't really care, its the one she wants.

I will get some better pics of it and post them up soon.

Matt
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

Those road trips almost always turn up with a good twist, One of the last ones I took I ended up in center city Phildephia at 12 noon on a Friday!

Hows the it coming along, any new progress reports or pictures?

batmobile

Post by batmobile »

my last road trip i got stuck stuck on I-35 when it turned into a parking lot on a foggy afternoon last december about 30 miles out from my destination(out of 300 miles, so i was almost there :cry: ). after about an hour or so of idling by engine started to hiccup, worse and worse. the engine finally died while i was going uphill. :evil: w/ a car close behind me of course. no way could i have pushed that crew cab dually anywhere so i just crawled in back seat and took a light doze. i let my truck cool off for about 30 minutes and tried to start it, it did, but just barely. i gave her hell -black smoke rolling (i engolfed a little metro - hehe :twisted: ), slammed her in drive and pulled off onto the shoulder, then resumed my nap. couple of hours later the traffic was starting to flow again and i could start see a gas station across the highway though the lightening fog. i used their phone, called up the local parts store, got a new ignition module, and had my truck running shortly thereafter. they told me at this same quick shop that the was a big rig accident, 3-4 trucks- 1 gas, 1-2 firework, and 1 ammunition of some sort. the latter two i don't know for sure, but u could see an oil slick that a tanker truck might do a few miles down the road. the car i went to pick up was only accessable during business hours, which i didn't make it because of the delay. had to sleep in my truck that night. :( what sucks is, if i had been about 15 minutes earlier i could have made it. or if i could have seen that the access road could have taken me around the jam. the car fought me loading it also, took me all day to get on that trailer! most difficult p/u i've ever had, i got the old gal in my workshop now, not a mopar, but unappreciated by the masses car all the same.
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.