OK, so it ain't eBay, but...

eBay is where to find that elusive part!
Faulkner

OK, so it ain't eBay, but...

Post by Faulkner »

...check out this SF 'vert up for auction at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, in January:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/ ... Number=659

Has anyone seen this car before? Do we know who the owner is?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Critique time - Ok, I'll be the first. (Constructive Criticism) It appears the headlite area is painted body color instead of black. Also the pan under front bumper appears to be body color. Kind of hard to detect but wouldn't be surprised. Valve covers are wrong color, along with hood springs (springs should be red). (There is a pic of 318 engine in a 59 Ply brochure that shows incorrect engine colors like this one; I think thats where the misconception comes from.) Also washer bag appears to be a later version - unless Chrysler switched to these later in the year. Wrong style hose clamps. Is generator on correct side? Every 318 I've seen, gen is on passenger side of engine except maybe car with AC??? Horns don't look original but they could be. Radiator cap should be replaced with a more period looking one. And the battery; a Barret-Jackson car just has to have one of those high dollar vintage looking batteries in it. And get rid of that battery quick disconnect switch. I'm not picking the car apart but if its going to represent our '59's on Barret-Jackson maybe it should be more correct. Otherwise, if commentators Mike Joy and that other guy are knowledgeable about this model they will pick it apart. Hopefully, maybe, these pics were taken before the cosmetic restoration, and corrections were made.
tomf

Post by tomf »

I agree with your comments. The generator mount is clearly visible on the passenger side of the block
$500 dollars spent under the hood could make $10,000 more at this auction. The commentators talk about this quite often. I do think the valance is the silver color it should be and the horns appear to be one of the styles used. I would add that the heater hoses appear to bypass the control. Can't really tell if there is a heater control valve in the car. The steering wheel looks white in some places and clear in one place. Maybe this is the sunlight causing it to look that way.
Very nice car and I also hope these things have been corrected since these photos were taken.
Tom Fox
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

"Cream" color...was that a '59 color? I think not.
No dash pad. Steering wheel looks to be okay, just sunlight reflection.
Generator located on driver side of 318 hints at a/c (factory or aftermarkert), no longer in car. Cannot verify from photos supplied.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I believe washer bag is wrong (not even hooked up).
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Okay, I now see the bracket that used to hold the generator on the passenger side. Also, if I squint, I believe I can see that the heater has indeed been by-passed..must be a car from the desert...
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Not a correct color
Inner eyebrowns wrong color
Looks like a 58 washer bag, no brackets, not installed, has washers in the cowl and also has the footpump
Clear plastic on steering wheel is white and not see through

Maybes:
Looks like the stainless all has been chromed
Front valance is body color
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”