Body seams

Your banter here!
batmobile

Body seams

Post by batmobile »

what's the deal w/ the rear valance to rear quarter panel joint? it has the vertical line, nowhere in the sales brochures or advertisements could i find the joint. did plymouth skip on this detail on all production models, or just the low-end ones? --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am having trouble figuring out what you are refering to..can you post a picture to illustrate?
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

here's a pic of my car: http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/44612886mf1 ... FBtO5JZcI7

if u notice below the fin trim there is a vertical line (pinch joint). doesn't seem quite as noticable in the pics as it does in reality.

here is the brochure pic : http://59sportfury.net/showcase/images/milestone/1.jpg

another one i found in the showcase on another sf: http://59sportfury.net/showcase/images/eichelberg/4.jpg

when batmobile was hit it appears like it pulled the seam on the ps apart a little bit more, i think i will squeeze it back together and maybe weld them up and smooth them out. --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

I could not follow the link to your picture. But if you look at this fully restored car on EBay you will see a noticable gap in the weld. This represent about the gap on my Savoy. I think it is more noticiable on cars that don't have the trim running along that long ledge and across the trunk lid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth ... 8418QQrdZ1

Don't forget to click on the picture to make it larger.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You guys are frustrating me! My Outlook Express is broken, so I am left with Internet Explorer. I also could not open that link. Curt's link to the Ebay car opens, but I still have NO clue what part you guysa re talking about!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I'm with Roger, what are you guys talking about??

Maybe if Curt can give us the link to the picture on Ebay he wants to refer to we might be able to join the discussion.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

All,

Let me try and explain. Open E-Bay link to silver car. Choose the only shot that is the rear end view of the car and maximize that picture.

Follow the end cap of the each fin straight down and you will see a seam that connects the rear quarter panel to the inside of the fin where it extends down and also joins the trunk panel that goes along the back of the car.

There is a very noticableVERTICAL seam (Weld) on this picture and also on my Savoy.

Furys as well as Belvederes I suspect have the extension of stainless that follows from the side trim around the back of the car and follows across the edge of the trunk lid. That small piece of stainless makes the Vertical weld appears less obtrusive than cars without the trim.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth ... 8418QQrdZ1

Does this help???

Curt in MD
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

This sure does help! You can see that "seam" on all 59 Plymouth's but hard to notice on the cars with trim around the corners. I checked pics of my SF and you can see it clearly in one picture (see below). I also checked the rear quarter panels in my storage and could feel the seam but it is so full I can't see it or make a picture.

Here is a direct link to the Ebay picture http://photos.ebizautos.com/5922/1253759_4.jpg

Ron
8 edit.jpg
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

i looked at the brochure, and if it was there i should have seen the seam, i thought anyways :roll: . although the trim does mask it pretty well. i think i will weld up the bumper filler seam as well. i plan on welding the bumper bolts up and chroming to give it a smooth look. not really making batmobile a custom, but just improving on what's already there. --j
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Well this time I can say "Been there, Done that" with the smoothed bumpers.

I had a good welder shave my bumper bolts and they looked great. The only problem I had is that the chrome shop charged me a fortune ($350) and the results were poor - nickel showing through etc.

I gave him another chance and he wanted another hundred bucks for His trouble!! Long story short - I have chrome plate peeling in some areas now as the bumpers were not properly prepped before the plating.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you have a good chrome plater before you begin. Maryland has lost all its chrome plating businesses thanks to EPA and enviornmental concerns.

Curt in MD.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

well, now that i know what seams you were talking about, you wanted to know why they aren't shown in the brochures..it certainly is not a detail Chrysler wanted to draw attention to..perhaps you feel the assembly workers should have filled those seams while they were filling all the others. probably a budget concern, but that's only a guess.
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

it just bugs me they showed one thing, but delivered another. :? and i was just making sure that it was on all cars, not just my savoy. btw, anyone else have poor panel alignment from the factory? all my joints suck, big time. --j
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Panel mis-alignment came standard on all '59 Plymouths
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

lol! :lol: good stuff... :wink: --j