Building plants, different parts

Your banter here!
Matthew Keij

Building plants, different parts

Post by Matthew Keij »

Oke, there are a lot of different parts coming from different plants.
What is all different?

Grill: 1 grill that was smooth and the other grill had grooves in it.

Speedometer: A while ago I discovered that there are 2 types of speedometers. When you look at the miles, you see dots OR stripes under it.

Body tag: Some of them have the body tag and some of them don't.
None - ? plant
Got one - ? plant

Pedals: Grooves or dots

Anyone have more differences? Post them!
Last edited by Matthew Keij on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

gas pedals! Some have dots, some have grooves...

Ed Ober suggested there was some difference in the dash aluminum, but I'm not sure I've seen the difference. Can anyone speak to that?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yes! The pedals. Do we know where the dots came from and where the grooves came from?

I think the difference in the dash trim was that some cars didn't had a radio or an ash tray. The ones without radio were on e-bay all the time but you don't see them anymore.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

I got one...Tail Lamp Housing Assemblies. This is directly from Mopar Parts Book.......... "Two types of construction were used for Tail Lamp Housing Assemblies on 1959 Plymouth models (except Suburban). As a result, the Extension for one type will not fit the Housing of the other type and vice versa". ......... I happened to purchase 2 extensions over the past few years and of course they didn't fit correctly. I made them fit by grinding off a small section of the pot metal inside the extension.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Not sure if im completely right on this,but a Canadian 59 Plymouth for the Canadian market had the inside rear view mirror up top in the center of the windsheild.while a US built one intended for the US market has it mounted on the dash.
If you look at the pics of my car in the showcase youll see it!

Bob
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Not sure if this applies:

Some flathead sixes have oil filtration where others do not??? - Mine did not.

Was this a factory option on the build sheets?

I still don't have a great understanding of the difference between the business coupe and the Savoy Sedan - Can anyone briefly explain the difference??? Is the difference evident by body trim/interior etc?

Thanks,
Curt in Ellicott City MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Some great info about the taillights! I didn't knew it. It's really handy for someone looking for taillight parts.
Thanks for that!

The business coupe has 2 side windows where the normal sedan has 3.
The normal sedan had the front window, rear window and a small window (that can't be opened?). The business coupe has only the front and the rear window.
Also you could get the sedan with a V8. You could only get the business coupe with a 6.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Thanks Matthew,

I guess I really never noticed only two side windows in the pictures of business coupes. I am guessing that the back seat side window did not roll down. I have never seen a Savoy Business sedan in person at any car shows.

My Savoy has the thin strip chrome all down the side and other Savoy Sedans have a little larger chrome on the sides. I m guessing that may be cars with a V8 versus mine with a six cylinder.

On another note, I e-mail a person in: 7037 AA Beek ( gem Bergh )
The Netherlands
Is that anywhere close to you?

I need to send packages that way soon but afraid the shipping costs will be too high $$$$$.

Thanks for your response.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

The other side trim is a little sweep down that comes up. It was a summer special. Something to make it more attractive to sell more cars.

I don't know who it is! Does he have a 59?

Send the packages usps. It will not be that high :wink:
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

i'm a little late entering, but didn't the business coupes not have a backseat as well, or was that an option, and u could buy it either way? :roll: --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Ed Ober suggested there was some difference in the dash aluminum, but I'm not sure I've seen the difference. Can anyone speak to that?
Oops, I misspoke. Ed emailed me a clarification of what he meant:
Ed Ober wrote:I was just looking at the forum about differences in parts and plants. What I meant was the speedometer aluminum background pattern was different in some. I have both types.

My car was built in California. ID plate is on the right side top of the firewall, production number tag is on driver's side door frame. Gas and brake pedals have grooves. The parts book says the California built cars had grooves.

The grille in my car has lines in it. The upholstery pattern on the door and seats run horizontal. I guess that's all the history of the car that I can think of.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"