Great Lakes NOS -- Caveat Emptor!

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
Faulkner

Great Lakes NOS -- Caveat Emptor!

Post by Faulkner »

While at Carlisle, Ron Keij and I happened into the tent of Great Lakes NOS (glnos on ebay, http://stores.ebay.com/GREAT-LAKES-NOS). This is the company that auctioned a Plymouth Owner's Plate on eBay, and which Ron won for $200. The plate never arrived; the owner concocted some story about customs, and after several back and forth emails -- the last from Ron which went unanswered -- Ron just gave up hope of ever seeing his plate. When Matthew pointed out that the tent we were in was in fact the very company that failed to deliver the goods, Ron decided to remind the owner that he never replied to his last correspondence.

Ron was not confrontational in any way; he just stood his ground, and asked for an explanation. He never got one, but he did get an earful of xenophobic bullsh*t. By the time I stepped in, the guy was in third gear with his ranting. His goons started circling, and we felt it best to skedaddle.

It's clear to me, that this guy saw an opportunity in an overseas shipment to collect the money with only a pretense of shipping the goods; and that he could get away with not shipping it, begging off on some "customs" snafu. By the way, glnos is now auctioning the plate, starting at $500! Perhaps the one for sale, is the same one that Ron already paid for?

Steer clear of this seller, if for no other reason than the outlandish prices. But pay them at your own risk.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
big m

Post by big m »

It's people like this that spoil the hobby for others. I'll be certain to avoid this seller for certain, People like this never learn that bad word travels ten times as fast as good word, and if they continue doing business in this fashion, hopefully they will fold up. This kind of crap really gets me aggravated!! ---John
In rust we trust!
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Thanks for info. Steer clear I will. You would think a tracking # could have been obtained and package traced to its final destination...... IF it was actually sent out. If it was not sent out - guess what - no tracking #. If it was sent out and lost somewhere wouldn't the shipper (glnos), being experienced, put in a claim and get reimbursed for loss.? I think FedEx and UPS pkgs are insured automatically for several hundred $. Don't know about Priority Mail. Ron's 200 + shippers claim.....man, glnos could have made out like a bandit (pun intended).
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

FYI, the US Post Office does not use tracking numbers. There is no way to track something unless you ask for delivery confirmation, etc. ALways better and cheaper to ship UPS.
I was present during the first part of this "meeting" Ron had with the creeps. The GLNOS man and his cohorts were indeed arrogant and almost immediately confrontational. His tent was full of extremely over-priced items for our cars...The whole thing started when I asked about the Tiffany medallions he had in a glass case..he launched into some unrelated story and then quoted me an astronomical price, then Ron and Matthew realised who he was. The man needs to have a building fall on him.
Dick Koch

Plymouth Owners Plate.

Post by Dick Koch »

I'm sure you probably already reported this guy to ebay, if not, you should, they watch these A--H---- very closely.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I filed a complaint with Ebay after I realized it wasn't going to arrive anymore. This was about 4 months after the auction ended, this seems like a long time but sometimes the mail is really slow and the seller did not know if it was sent by air or surface mail :(

The only thing Ebay did was contact the seller by email and copy me on that message. I expected they would do a little bit more but I couldn't get them in action any further.

This happened to me twice since I have been buying stuff on Ebay, the second time has also been posted on this forum. Dan tried to help me out and contacted the seller (H-Bomb30022 on Ebay). He was almost as friendly as GLNOS :cry:

Do yourselves a favour and stay away from those two assholes!!!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

to amend what I wrote earlier concerning the US Post Office, when I was tangled up in shipping hood hinges abroad, I was told there was no way to track USPost Office-sent stuff. Yesterday I sent a package to Nebraska via USPS, and got a tracking number. I will assume this means USPS tracks on domestic shipments only.
Ron Keij

Re: Great Lakes NOS -- Caveat Emptor!

Post by Ron Keij »

It has been a couple of years since my bad experience with GLNOS but today I finally found myself another NOS owner's plate. I won the Ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT and I will keep my fingers crossed until it arrives :!: Sorry if I outbid anyone on this forum.

Ron
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Nice purchase, Ron! :D
FinnedMopars

Post by FinnedMopars »

Thanks for the warnings. USPS tracking numbers are virtually useless. They can only show you that it's sent and received. Doesn't sound bad until you don't receive it. USPS can't really track it unless it reaches it's destination. It doesn't require a signature. UPS and FedEx on the other hand are very realiable. Not flawless, but very reliable.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Ron, I still have two brothers living in Michigan if we want one of them to file something for you in small claims court. Don't know if the statue of limitations has expired or not.

GLNOS figures you don't have friends in the USA to fight for you. But you have lots!

Let me know if we can do anything for you. Maybe, I can buy for you what ever you need off of Ebay. That way, nobody can think of taking advantage of our European friends when an American buys it. Then they risk a lawsuit!

If we prepare right, we can go to Carlisle next year with the policeman and shut them down for theft or have them give you your money back.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

John,

Thanks for the offer to get your brothers in gear but that won't do any good now. I bought the item in 2003 and it is certainly too long ago to take action now.
They do know that I have friends in the US now as Dan and Roger were there with me @ Carlisle 2006.

In all the years I have been buying Ebay items I have "only" been scammed twice and that is not a bad score considering the number of purchases I did. Beside the 59 Plymouth items I have also been buying Marilyn Monroe items for Marjo and lots of car parts for friends with GM cars. And Dan has been a great help in buying stuff for me when I was blocked from bidding because I do not live in the US and when I needed a US shipping address. But it is good to know that you are also willing to assist!

So if we prepare right you are going to be @ Carlisle 2010? And shutting them down might be an option just because of the astronomic prices he is asking for NOS parts that would need rechroming before they would go on my car :( In the near future I don't plan on buying much though as I promised Dan I will come over for Carlisle 2010 and airline fares are skyhigh in July.

Ron
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Ron, No problem in helping you buy Ebay or Craig list items like Dan does for you already. Keep me as a backup to Dan's efforts or use me whenever.

I thought you and Marjo were going to the Northwest area this summer? Maybe it is the Northwest visit and a Carlisle visit too! I think the Plymouth National meet is in Portland, Oregon in June also. But you aleady knew that I bet.

GLNOS prices are so high it makes Frank Mitchell's prices look reasonable! Actually, Franks are not to bad... a little high.. But I can't fault a business man out to make a buck and help people at the same time. GLNOS is just gouging!

Take care!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/