New Memeber

psycho

New Memeber

Post by psycho »

Just found this site and WOW! I am so pumped to actually find a source of info for my project.

My Car is a '59 Plymouth Savoy 4dr. I did some swapping as a teenager and got the car. It had a 318 that was installed by Stevie Wonder. They used angle iron to build the motor pedestals and the motor sat at an angle in the engine compartment. I was told that it had a slant six originally, and know it was 3 on the tree. They had rigged the man. shifter to work on the newer auto tranny, but used a reversed pattern. This stumped many friends who just had to drive the car. I drove the car for two years in the mid 90's til the motor wore out. I then started with a big block conversion. I didn't get farther than buying a 77 new yorker and removing the drive train. Everything has been sitting ever since.

I am now living a much more stable life and wish to resume my quest, with a few practicle changes.
I am not wanting a race car any more. What I plan to build is a car that runs decent and I can take on road trips and vacations. Meaning I want reliability above all. I am not so concerned with being a purist, and keeping the car "Original". I plan on alot of modifications to gain reliabilty, safety, and confort, where they just simply lacked the technology in '59. In doing this I understand that I will ruin the cars desirability by "Purists". From what I understand the car is not very desirable anyway, unless you get bitten by the look.

I will be doing a disc brake conversion on the front end.

Haven't decided which motor I'm going to use yet. Either 318 w/auto, or 350 w/ auto od (I'll probably get tossed off here for even mentioning that one). But I have to get the suspension and all up to snuff first.

I want to do a power steering conversion as well.

There are alot of other mods. too, obviously.

The car has been sitting in the weather for a long time. The finish is OK and can be saved, so says my body man. I will post some pics soon.
I found the articles and web site info on doing the disc brake conversion. But have seen no info on anyone putting power steering on their ply. yet. Am I just not digging deep enough? I hope it is possible, but won't cry if it isn't. Just thought it would be a nice feature for the 'ol lady to have. I had considered clipping the car, but that's just more work than I want to do. And once I found the info on the brake conversion, the thought of clipping the car became a memory. Thanks for that one everyone!

I am in the planning stages of this adventure, and need to get a few things ironed out with another project before diving in. I do look forward to dredging a few brains here and hope everyone will be tolerant of my possible ignorance or excentricities.

Y'all have some beautiful cars. Look forward to talking to you guy's , and in the future maybe even meeting a few. Talk to ya later,

Jay :lol:
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Jay,

Let me be the first one to welcome you to the forum!

You are right that most members are "Purists", but there are a lot of members who had a disc brake conversion. And we all will try to answer any of your questions you have. If you are looking for more info you should also register to the FwdLk net forum http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp There are lots of people who can answer just about any question about exchanging engines and tranny's.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your car.

Ron Keij

Post by Guest »

Jay,
I "second" the suggestion made by Ron..you wil have better response and over-all reception by joining www.forwardlook.net. we are mostly purists and actually don't know much about "modernizing" our cars.\
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

welcome to the club! i am not a hard-core purist like some, although i do want to stay chrysler corp as much as i can. u can get a p/s box, i bought one off of a nice guy that i met off of here. he has his own yard, he has a number of '57-'59 plymouths. "bigm" is his handle. i plan on doing the same thing to my car. i have a more original speciman to start with though. i have the same model of car as urs. the 59's did not come with a slant six. the 59' year (if my memory serves me correctly) was the last year plymouth utilized their 230 cid flathead straight six. i think the motor was first used in the late 30's, not totally sure, but it is a good motor and was used for many years. hell, mine was untouched for 15 years and started with a tune-up and gas! i've got a pic of mine one my profile thingy here. my car is in OK, which i plan on going back to pretty soon. i added disc brakes off of a 89' diplomat, along with various other parts, u can check out some of my earlier posts to get the skinny on it. my 59' is more than likely going to recieve a warmed over smog 360 (these things r cheap!) and a 5-speed manual trans. it's gonna get a/c, cruise, and some of the creature comforts to make it a nice cruiser. my plans for body is painting it 2-tone metallic blue on bottom and white on top, although it might change, i'll see what i fell like doing when i cross that bridge. gonna have wide whites with '71 15" chysler(or maybe plymouth) hubcaps. where in tx r u exactly? my car is about 3 hour drive north of dallas/fort worth. well, catch ya on the flip-flop.--jeremy
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
psycho

Post by psycho »

Anonymous wrote:Jay,
I "second" the suggestion made by Ron..you wil have better response and over-all reception by joining www.forwardlook.net. we are mostly purists and actually don't know much about "modernizing" our cars.\
Ok, I realize I'm new here and some of my ideas might be a bit unconventional. But this guy needs to grow some nads. You are going to speak for everyone on the board and not even post your member info? Until you do I will not leave. NannyNannyBoo Boo!!!!!!!! :P

Thank you to Ron and Jeremy for the welcome.

Jeremy, I am about 30 miles east of Dallas in Kaufman County.
I'm picturing mine kind of slammed w/ some 17's , all front end parts, bumpers, and rear end chrome powder coated black, the side chrome gone and the window trim painted with the car, with metallic gray paint and some pearl.

But like I said before I've got alot of other stuff to figure out first. I'm pretty much starting on the ground and working my way up. I've got alot to work with in some areas, and not much in others.

The body on mine is in pretty good shape, very little rust, and no dents. Glass is all good, and interior has not lost hope either. Mine does have a Chinese right front fender on it. It has 'Made in China" stamped around the antena?/mirror? whole. You can also tell by knocking on it. The original produces a thud, while the china fender sounds hollow. But I can't tell just by looking at it. It took me about a year to discover it.

Well I gotta go for now, I will check back in asap. Good night all,

Jay
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

[quote="psycho"]Ok, I realize I'm new here and some of my ideas might be a bit unconventional. But this guy needs to grow some nads. You are going to speak for everyone on the board and not even post your member info? Until you do I will not leave. NannyNannyBoo Boo!!!!!!!!/quote]

Jay,

You might read a bit on the forum first before you start posting things like the above on the forum. :evil: We all know that the "Guest" is Roger, one of the best guys on this forum, who knows a lot about 59 Plymouth's! And he is always willing to share his knowledge with others.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yes, it's me..the "guest", a.k.a Roger..My computer will occasionally shut down or re-boot itself (power failure? Microsoft update?) and I automatically get logged off of this site..if I fail to check the status, I come across as "Guest".
I wish you good luck slamming your ride..I hope you stay totally pumped and that ain't no dis-
psycho

I will seriously apologize then.

Post by psycho »

Roger I apologize to you. And also, to everyone else on the board. But you must admit your message did come across as I took it. You asked me to leave the board. You even misquoted another member to strengthen your agenda. The post is there to read. I loggged on to this board in a very excited manor and complimented EVERYONE here (and meant it). And call it misplaced human emotion, but when attacked I defend myself. I could have lurked here, gained info, and no-one would have ever known who I was, or that another 59 fan was out there somewhere. And I knew that when I revealed my plans, they would not be accepted by everyone here. I even made light of that. Now, your response was not to try and talk about it, but to shoo me off the board. The more I look at the awesome cars in the Showcases, and read the great articles on this site, the more cars I find that aren't all original. So maybe I'm not the minority here afterall.

I now take my leave. I will not post/reply here anymore, as I do not wish to negatively impact this board. Or draw out any that would.

I wish to again thank those who welcomed me, and wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Good Luck to all of you.

Jay :D
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Jay,

I am sorry to see you go so soon! You might want to reconsider, this is a good bunch and are always trying to help. One bad experience is not enough to stop reading and posting in my opinion.

We all accept the plans you have with your car altough I wouldn't even think about doing that to my own car. Hey it is your car and you will have to enjoy it, and whatever you want to do with it is your choice. And I'm 100 % sure Roger feels the same about it, as you said there are lots of cars in the "Showcase" the are far from original.

Just think about it and come back and post some pictures of your car!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Re: I will seriously apologize then.

Post by Faulkner »

Sorry to be so long in getting back on the forum. The house move is largely complete -- my back hurts, my fingers hurt, my hair hurts. :cry: But, things are starting to settle down just a bit. Today, I go to visit a classic car garage not far from the old house, where I hope to put Faulkner while I plan for a garage in the back yard.

So let's see, what's going on here...
psycho wrote:...But you must admit your message did come across as I took it. You asked me to leave the board. I now take my leave. I will not post/reply here anymore, as I do not wish to negatively impact this board. Or draw out any that would.
I think you misunderstood, Jay. Roger wasn't asking you to leave -- he was inviting you to join another board, one which virtually all members of this Forum read (because we're all Forward Lookers here), and because he thought you might find it more helpful -- because the audience is much broader.

Leave if you must, but that was no one's intent. You are still welcome here, as is everyone who loves '59 Plymouths. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Im a bit late coming into this controversy,but its too bad that Jay took what Roger said the way he did,when i came on here too someone at the time suggested to me that i check out Forward look as well,think what was missing is that Roger wrote that he should check Forward look and didnt include in his post the words "as well as this site".
Sorry to see that he took it as a suggestion that he leave the board,i know in no way that Roger or any of us intended that,so Jay if you read this,i hope you stay around,when i got my 59 Plymouth the guys here answered all my questions and helped me a great deal because all my auto experience is with GM vehicles and i didnt know a whole lot about old Chrysler cars,nor did i even know at the time that our old Plymouths were called the "Star of the Forward Look"
I understand how you may have taken it tho Jay,some guys are such purists and know it alls especially in the old car hobby,we all have run into them from time to time!
So stick around Jay,youll find the guys here are always willing to help!

Bob
zook250

Post by zook250 »

hey guys, if you think the reply was insulting you should check out some of the insults on other boards like home recording bbs. we are angels compared to some of those recording engineer types.
4dHT

Post by 4dHT »

:D Jay: Welcome to the site!-- sorry for the misunderstanding --
I'm a novice with any car, never mind these Forward Look vehicles,
All I can say is that people here (on both the 59 Plymouth and the FL site) have TONS of help and experience, and also, laughter , and kindness. The information amount on tap-- is-- unbelievable. Everyone (except a few jerks who alas show up here like everywhere else in the world) learns something from everyone else. We're just glad that you too are into these cars!
As far as purists vs. rodders --HORSECOOKIES! Do what you want with YOUR ride!
Beth