Roger's family photo

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Roger's family photo

Post by Faulkner »

Everyone knows Roger for his gorgeous SF convertible. But did you know he was an honorary "Suburbanite"? He recently sent me the picture below -- be sure to click on the picture to see it full size...
Roger Howard wrote:I came across some photos I had enlarged several years ago. They are pics of my family's 59 Ply wagon as we took a summer vacation roadtrip across the country..> NY to CA.and back .via NM, AZ, etc. This picture was taken at Yosemite National Park.

The photo includes the famous landmark Half Dome in the background..it is the most impressive object seen upon exiting the tunnel as you enter Yosemite Valley. I am not sure you can still make this trip; it may have gone over to all shuttle transport (in an effort to reduce pollution)
Soon I'll cobble together a Suburban page for Roger, with more of his pix. Stay tuned!

Dan
rogersfamilycar.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Beautiful country there,i took a trip there with my parents when i was 12,never have had the oppurtunity to go back since............

Bob

Post by Guest »

dan,
i now think the trip pictured was 1961. I found a typed itinerary that my dad put together years ago. We toured Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands National Monument, Yosemite National Park, and several other attractions on that trip.
On these summer family camping trips, Dad would do the majority of driving, while Mom would keep the kids placated, and act as co-pilot, scouting for the next campground. She would also keep track of money spent on food, gas, campgrounds, tolls, and the rare motel stop. If we stayed at a motel, we would be so excited if there was a pool to enjoy! The Plymouth ran fine for the most part. I recall the universal joint going bad in South Dakota, and all four tires going bad just prior to crossing the Mojave Desert ( an expensive repair..think National Lampoon's Vacation movie..).The finned wagon (with 318 and Torqueflite) finally developed a shimmy.. a steering-related problem, with not much more than 60K on the odometer, and because we lived in the Northeast where they salt the snowy roads, it was rusting. My dad finally traded it in 1965 for a new Plymouth Fury III station wagon, which served us well for the following four years.