OE windshields

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
rogerh

OE windshields

Post by rogerh »

Hello,
Several folks are looking for replacement windshields.
A long-time advertiser/supplier is Timo Tanshanen of Riverside, CA.
For information, call 909-687-6579 or Fax 909-687-5963
batmobile

thanx

Post by batmobile »

thanx for the info, will try to call soon. need to replace mine. got packing tape temp patching the hole(looks like from a golf ball). don't look at me, bought it like that summer of '03.
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Faulkner

Re: thanx

Post by Faulkner »

batmobile wrote:thanx for the info, will try to call soon. need to replace mine. got packing tape temp patching the hole(looks like from a golf ball). don't look at me, bought it like that summer of '03.
Hey Batmobile! Got pix? Sounds like you need to be in the showcase... :lol:

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

not digital. i will try to take a couple this christmas. car's 1500 miles away. :( but until i replace the existing winshield. what can i say, i love the wind in my hair. lol :lol: when i picked up the car, the side mirrors were installed in-correctly (remember savoys had no side mirrors) and if i took a pick to display it would bug me to no end. the mirrors look 60's or maybe 70's. they r square pot metal jobbers, they sucked. they r already in the trash. i got some mirrors to replace, not sure what they're from(picked up cheap from local swap meet), but they look identical to the correct year furys, so who knows, maybe i just got lucky. reason i say they look identical, i have an original '59 model year sales brochure that lists all the models and options. that's also how i know my car is 100% original, even the interior(rough but complete).
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi everybody - I'm having a local shop install a new windshield in my 59 SF They say its a number DW453 for a tinted bubble type windwhield, can anyone confirm this. I want to make sure I get the right one.
Thanks,
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Thanks for the Post Dan - we missed you!

Sorry - I can't help with the Bubble-Glass question.

For what it is worth:

I tried calling and faxing Timo - but the number was bad earlier this year.
Hopefully the numbers are working now.

I tried finding a "Flat" windshield everywhere for my two-door post Savoy. Best I could do was junk yard windshields that needed repair for $200 plus $100 shipping. Then my local Glass shop found a new windshield for my car. My best guess is that it came from Pilkington in Ohio, because the glass shop had a big drop off box in front of their shop with Pilkington spelled out across the box.

I even had a choice of Green or Blue tint, or clear. As my car is green/torquoise, I chose a green tint. I bought the OEM windshield gasket from Andy Berbaum for $95. The shop installed the glass with my rubber for $550. even ($469 Glass, $20 install kit and $40 labor plus tax).

I thought I would mention that I tried calling Pilkington earlier this year - (1-800-848-1351) but the contact for older car windshields would not return my call as I was "not in the business". Another post on this site mentioned that these windshields can be drop shipped for $400 plus shipping. I did not have to pay shipping because I could wait two weeks for free-delivery from Pilkington.

http://www.pilkington.com/the+americas/ ... efault.htm

If anyone is interested in the Westminster MD glass shop I used - please e-mail me for the contact information.

Curt in Ellicott City

PS the windshield and installation look great - no damaged stainless, etc.
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Roger emailed Ron Waters to inquire, here's Ron's response:
Ron Waters wrote:From: Ron Waters
To: Roger Howard
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: Emailing: viewtopic

Hi Roger -

Yes, that is correct. 453 is the windshield for 59 2drHT,4drHT and convertibles. BTW, Pilkington (parent company of LOF glass, a major supplier of glass to the auto industry on par with PPG) is now repro'ing the tinted 453. About $500, which is more reasonable than Timo's 850+250 shipping. Any glass shop that uses that brand should be able to get it.

Ron
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks All - That info on the windshield eases my mind, well, what's left of it.
Dick.

Oh, by the way, while I have the windshield out, I'm getting rid of as much rust as I can, using OSPHO and then rust enscapulator. I had to have the inner upper chrome pieces that hold the head liner in rechromed, took out the headliner and enscapulated the inner roof. I do dent repair and polishing on the side so I did all the stainless, came out nice. I got the window fuzzie strips from Andy Birnbaum, the old ones were stapled in and difficult to get staples out but I did it. A little tip, to reinstall the new fuzzies I went to Home Depot and got some 1/8" Stainless Steel rivets and with two small clamps to hold it in place I drilled and rivited the new on, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, came out nice. The problem will be putting the fuzzie strips on the outside because the top of the windows are in the way. Can anybody advise the best way to do the outside fuzzies.
Also if any body can advise me on the best way to mask and paint the dash, the car has the dark gun metal gray dash and black carpet but I'm thinking about a red dash and red carpet or at least a red carpet. What do you all think?
Dick
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

te pop rivet idea is a good one. I tried that, but then wanted original look, so did the staples while the side glass was out.
I painted my dash while the windshield was out, but I had no gauges either, so it was easy. However you do it, remember to use low gloss paint, or you will be blinded by thesun reflection.
I dont know if auto paint stores sell 1/8" painter's masking tape (the low stick stuff)..maybe you can take a 2" roll and section yourself off a roll of thin stuff..
Ive never seen a red dash in a 59 Plymouth...have fun!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Roger - The dark grey gun metal dash I have now is original and a mild gloss, not blinding probably because of the color. My green car has a flat green dash with no sheen at all and green carpet. I thought about painting the dash the same red as the car but "no clear coat", that should give it that flat look, what do you think. I've seen pictures of 59's with red dashes and black dash pad, didn't look to bad. Funny you mentioned the 1/8" masking tape, I just finished my garage on the side of the house (2 cars - end to end). Yesterday I was re-aranging stuff and came across a roll of 1/8" tape I had forgotten all about. Where did you use that tape specifically. In Florida there is no deductible for a cracked or fish-eyed windshield. I had a great big fish-eye dead center of drivers vision so made a claim with my Insurance Co. The Estimate was $858.00 to replace and install. Got a check within one week. A local Glass shop will do it as soon as I finish the restoration.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

As suggested I called Pilkington Classics (1-800-848-1351) about a windshield for my 59 Sport Fury. I talked to a fellow named Al and he confirmed that DW453 is the correct number. He has them in stock with a green tint $350.00 plus $100.00 shipping from Ohio to Florida. I asked him if it had the bubble. His reply was a slight bubble but not pronounced like the factory windshield. At first I didn't think he would sell to an individual but no problem. Mine is on the way.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

yes, the slight bubble windshield is readily available..I see them on Ebay.
Timo would sell you (or your ins co) the correct bubble, but then you have already ordered the other one..
tomf

Re: OE windshields

Post by tomf »

I have been trying to contact Timo Tanskanen about his windshields for our cars, and was finding the phone number out of service. I called my good friend Merle Wolfer and he gave me this phone # 951 687 6579 This is the same number but the area code was changed a few years ago and Timo had little success in getting it corrected. I talked to Timo this morning and I have ordered a new winshield for my Belvedere convertible. He says it is the exact factory bubble, and is tinted and shaded. It is $1200 plus shipping. I have shopped around the country and can find non bubble windshields for $400 t0 $500 plus shipping. I guess we need to pay for the real thing.

I won't get it for a couple of months, but will report on it when I get it.

Tom Fox
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Tom, did yours crack or just sand crazed a bit? looked great last summer when you were visiting Colorado. I have a couple old chips (but no stars..) in my converts windshield but hope to have one of the local windshield shops do their modern filling repair on them.

Has anyone tried to do this on our old windshields? I would be hard pressed right now to scrap up 1200 scooters for a new one like Tom just did.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Tom,

I am certain you did your research, but I had great luck with Pilkington glass for my 2dr sedan Savoy. They even offered clear, green or blue tinting and original LOF coding. My glass was shipped from Ohio to MD and I Purchased the $100 rubber from Bernbaum. The total cost with installation was $654 - all paid for by State Farm.

Pilkington called me back several times to make sure they were delivering the proper glass i.e., bubble versus flat and proper tint etc.

They claim to have the moulds for most classic cars.

Here is the link:

http://www.pilkington.com/the+americas/ ... efault.htm

Here is the page:

Pilkington Classics - The right choice in auto replacement glass.
Classic Fit. Classic Style. Classic Quality.

To keep your classic car, truck or exotic automobile looking its best, turn to Pilkington Classics. We can supply you with the OEM quality auto replacement glass you need. Plus, you can order it complete with the original LOF sandblasted logo and date coding.

To discuss how we can fit your auto glass needs, please call us toll-free at:

1-800-848-1351

If nothing else this will help those owners with flat glass windshields. The flat glass itself was about $450.

Thanks,
Curt