'59 Belvedere conv.

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
jamesm. gourniak sr

'59 Belvedere conv.

Post by jamesm. gourniak sr »

Hi Just found this site. I have a '59 Belvedere Conv. I aquired this peice about 1972. It was used as a drag car, SS/MA, for 2 seasons It had a 361 Golden Commando in it then. In the mid 70's I redid the whole car, and installed a 440 six pack, 4 speed and 4.30 Dana 60 rear. The car was repainted the medium metalic blue (Starlite Blue) and a correct fabric interior (non swivel seat) installed. The car was originaly powder blue, 318 and 2 speed (Powerflite) trans. I removed the ignition barrel and reinstalled the ignition from the first car I bought in 1964, a '59 belvedere 4dr sedan!!
The old girl is still in tact, rust free, running and solid. It has been in dry storage for about 20 years now. I recently got my hands on a '58 Belvedere 2 door hardtop. Yes, it looks exactly like "Christine", sorry it is a realy rusted-out peice but the good part is, the motor(318), trans and rear are all in perfect working order. and I am hoping to install these units into the '59. I have to do a lot of constuction on my new shop and this is planed as a retirement project. I also have a rust free '57 Plaza 2 door sedan that was in storage for approx. 30 years, guess where I plan on sticking that six pack. My '70 Road Runner Convert already has one!! I enjoy hearing from poeple who are saving these "Batmobiles" Jim G
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Hi James,

Welcome on this site!
I'd love to see some pics of your car
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

James -- I second Matthew's welcome. Can you send me pix, so we can put you in the showcase? If you don't have electronic copy, I guarantee the safe return of any photos after I scan them...

Dan
dan@59plymouth.net
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I don't know what the letters SS/MA signify..if yo are from Massachusetts, I think Bernie Broulliet might know of you or the car
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:I don't know what the letters SS/MA signify..if yo are from Massachusetts, I think Bernie Broulliet might know of you or the car
Roger, according to James' signon, he's from the Lehigh Valley -- that's more central PA:

http://59sportfury.net/59forum/profile. ... ofile&u=84

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

well, then I should get out a map of PA..
Dave Stragand is from PA..
Can you just imagine a '59 Belv cvt drag-racing?!
His name is somehow familiar..whether from FL site or maybe I sold him some Ply part a few years ago..hmmm
Let's keep after him for some pictures!
dougc75

59 Belv cvt

Post by dougc75 »

Hi i was wondering if any of you experts could help me out on finding more info on the 1959 Plymouth Belvider car.
I cant find any info on this car at all

My dad owned one in the 60's and blew the motor in it and it sat in our garage in pieces for about 20 years and then he sold it.
Nighthawk

Re: 59 Belv cvt

Post by Nighthawk »

dougc75 wrote:Hi i was wondering if any of you experts could help me out on finding more info on the 1959 Plymouth Belvider car.
I cant find any info on this car at all

My dad owned one in the 60's and blew the motor in it and it sat in our garage in pieces for about 20 years and then he sold it.
I own a 59 Belvedere,what would you like to know??

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I was contacted privately
His dad told him only 12 Belvederes were exported to Canada.
I replied that the number was surely higher than that.
I told him a little about the Belvedere name.
His requests are quite vague.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

rogerh wrote:I was contacted privately
His dad told him only 12 Belvederes were exported to Canada.
I replied that the number was surely higher than that.
I told him a little about the Belvedere name.
His requests are quite vague.
Well,if you consider that the Chrysler plant in Windsor Ontario made most or all of the 59 Plymouths that were sold in Canada,(mine included),i dunno where his dad wouldve got that idea from!
Sounds like a kid whos bored to me.........

Bob