Steven King's Riding the Bullit a cool Sport Fury is in it

Your banter here!
Goauld

Steven King's Riding the Bullit a cool Sport Fury is in it

Post by Goauld »

I saw Riding the Bullit last night on DVD there is a very nifty 1960 Sport Fury hard top in it. Infact they ride in it for about a half hour. The movie itself is not so good, very hard to follow, but it is worth watching for the car. If you think Christene it is nothing like it :cry:
Have fun guys
Craig
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Craig, I actually have the flick and will be digitizing it; believe it or not, there's a '59 Plymouth in it! In the scene where the car crashes into the pumpkin truck, if you slomo it, you can distinctly see '59 fins with '60 door handles. I'll snap pix of the video too, and be putting it up soon.

Soon, as in "The World's Slowest Auto Mechanic" soon :D

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

may I be a stickler for details and remind all that there is no such thing as a 1960 Sport Fury? Our Sport Furies are 59 only, the SF name didnt return until 1963 or thereabouts. I just cringe a little when I hear "1960 Sport Fury". Lets give the 60+ Fury its own special place.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Is it really titled "Riding the Bullitt"? I would think that Bullitt name must be trademarked by Steve McQueen estate etc?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Is it really titled "Riding the Bullitt"? I would think that Bullitt name must be trademarked by Steve McQueen estate etc?
A Freudian slip, methinks. You're quite right, the name of the movie is "Riding the Bullet". In this case, the Bullet is a rollercoaster the protaganist rode in one of the movie's incessant flashbacks.

Dan
Goauld

1960 Fury crash

Post by Goauld »

Sorry about calling it a Sport Fury. Now on to the crash in the movie. Dan correct me if I am wrong but I watched the special features on the DVD today, and it looks to me like they took a real 1960 Fury, and gutted it for the crash scene. If they did that, when are thes directors ever going to learn that there are no more of these (all 50's) cars being made? We now have powerful computers that can render the car for the crash. Why don't directors start to use them? If I am wrong and it was not a Fury that could of been restored I am sorry for stepping on my soap box.
Craig
yes and I miss typed bullet I must of had visions of green fast back Mustangs dancing in my head
Nighthawk

Re: 1960 Fury crash

Post by Nighthawk »

Goauld wrote:Sorry about calling it a Sport Fury. Now on to the crash in the movie. Dan correct me if I am wrong but I watched the special features on the DVD today, and it looks to me like they took a real 1960 Fury, and gutted it for the crash scene. If they did that, when are thes directors ever going to learn that there are no more of these (all 50's) cars being made? We now have powerful computers that can render the car for the crash. Why don't directors start to use them? If I am wrong and it was not a Fury that could of been restored I am sorry for stepping on my soap box.
Craig
yes and I miss typed bullet I must of had visions of green fast back Mustangs dancing in my head
I agree Craig,i cant stand to watch any movies where any classic cars get wrecked in them,there was this movie a couple of yrs back whos name escapes me at the moment but it was about a couple of kids in a green and white 60 Chev and this guy was chasing them and the car gets wrecked in it and my wife and i were watching this at a drive in in my 59 Chev and i was cringing the entire time!
I just wish they wouldnt wreck the cars,theres no need for it!

Bob
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Goauld wrote: ...Dan correct me if I am wrong but I watched the special features on the DVD today, and it looks to me like they took a real 1960 Fury, and gutted it for the crash scene. If they did that, when are thes directors ever going to learn that there are no more of these (all 50's) cars being made? ...
Well, it was clear they gutted something. I thought it looked like a '59 to me. I guess it's time for me to get off my lazy butt, digitize it and take some snaps. Stay tuned...

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:...Well, it was clear they gutted something. I thought it looked like a '59 to me. I guess it's time for me to get off my lazy butt, digitize it and take some snaps. Stay tuned...
Well, I think this is pretty conclusive evidence: They glued the front end of a '60 onto a '59 for this crash scene -- or vice versa. Here's the clip:

http://www.59plymouth.net/ephemera/imag ... bullet.wmv

Here are some snaps from the vid -- the car in the explosion from the rear looks very familiar :P

Dan
bullet1.jpg
bullet2.jpg
bullet3.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goauld

1960 Fury explosion

Post by Goauld »

Yep it sure is a 59 rear. It is ashame they had to destroy an old 59 or 60 Plymouth to get the shot.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Just a little trivia info on the Sport Fury name. According to a few books I have, it originated, of course, in 1959. Then it wasn't used again until 1962. It went from '62 thru '71. After that the name Fury Sport was used for awhile but never again Sport Fury. I think this is correct, but of course I might have missed something somewhere.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey fellow Listmembers and Guests,
Please don't take me to task for squeaking about the use of the Sport Fury name. My posts all meant to be in good humor and friendliness. If I've come across as snobbish or picky, well, I will try to be better about my postings. Sometimes I am tired and irritated at the end of the day and I don't think it through before I type.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

good morning Group,
I re-played Dan's video snip of the Bullet movie several times, and here's what I see:
a beautiful, obviously road-worthy 1960 Plymouth zooming down the road.
I plainly see the rear end of a 59 Plymouth catch on fire.

When they zoom in on the driver's seat, I 'think' I see a '60 Ply front fender, a '60 Plymouth driver's door (note the flip-up doorhandles), but a '59 Ply tailfin, and possibly '59 Ply quarter window glass. The driver's compartment and dashboard are unrecognizable, but the steering whell does not ressemble anything 59.
In the zoom-to-close-up of driver's compartment, the stainless doortrim seems to be trimming the top edge of a bump-out..much like you'd find on a '64-66 Chrysler/Plymouth.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I'm gonna conclude that it is a 60 Plymouth with 59 rear end tacked on..sadly, people are out there cutting the backs off cars to turn inot couches..so this was a 60 Ply and they tacked a 59 tail end onto it .
Now that I look at it a few more times, that is defintely a 1960 door in the close-up.
I imagine that the person who loaned the nice '60 driver for the movie had a parts car laying around and sold it to King, to be demolished.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

rogerh wrote:The driver's compartment and dashboard are unrecognizable, but the steering whell does not ressemble anything 59.
The dash and steering wheel are from a 1960 or 1961 Plymouth. Here in the Netherlands is a guy who has a 60 and 61. 1 of them is a convertible and it has the same dash and steering wheel
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”