Need some info!

Your banter here!
Matthew Keij

Need some info!

Post by Matthew Keij »

Hi All!

Yesterday we looked at a Fury (59 offcourse ;-) )
I really want to buy it but it's missing some parts.
It's completly in parts. The dash is out, engine is out. It needs a repaint.
The parts that are missing in an exhaust (not a problem). The engine has 2 carbs and the air cleaners are missing. The windshield is cracked.

Does anybody know some prices and/or sources where to get them?
Dan already told me to take a windhield from a scrap car. Would be cheaper for sure.

Thanks already!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi All,

Thought I'd let you know Matthew has an option on the car until tomorrow evening :D . All he needs is a place to park the car and work on it until it is finished.

The car comes in parts and everything is disassembled. It will be a tough job to get the car together for him. But he is very determined and I think he will get it done. But for sure we are going to need your help!

The engine is a Golden Commando with two carbs set up :D :D
And of course a torqueflite and AC 8) , other than that the car has no options as far as we know now. Maybe it would be better to put the engine in my Sport Fury and let Matthew have the 318 :wink:

Ron
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Well,all can be done,just takes time and ummmm MONEY!
Sounds like your biggest problem is the windshield,i wonder if anyone sources them or has them available?
If anyone can find that,itd be the guys on this board!

Bob
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Dan told me there is someone who makes repro windshields but I think they ask top $$$ for it. For the windshield my best bet is a parts car with a good clean windshield in it.
The biggest problem I think is the air cleaners. Originals and repro's are going for sky high prices but I don't know what fits on them. Probably not hard to find. Joe Leone also got other air cleaners on his 2X4 setup.
Help is all around!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

That's right, we are ready to help! Windshields are the toughest to find at a moment's notice, but this sounds like a good project! A Golden Commando with dual carbs..wow! AND factory a/c?! Now I have someone to buy all my spare parts!
Hopefullyt he car has all the stainless trim, because it costs too much to ship these long pieces to you guys!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Well, this is going to be a mega search for a windshield ;-)
Maybe some old rusted car in a junkyard has a good one. We will see.
Haha, ALL spare parts?? :-p Maybe after a while! I don't have that much money to spend and I have to buy some parts and after a month some other parts etc..
The car should be complete. Maybe everything is there but there's always something missing
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hopefully you have all the parts. If something is missing, we will try to help you. Windshields from Timo start at $800 US, (so I've heard) with shipping additional. These windshields were used in Plymouths, Dodges etc from 1957 thru 1959, so you have a chance to find one in a salvage yard over there. There is a definitive list written by Ron Waters, available on the FL site. I personally dont know of any around here, but crating it properly and then shipping it would be terribly expensive.
I am ready to see some pictures of this Fury!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Roger, do you know what a windshield from a junkyard will cost? I really don't have a clue about them!!!
The pic is of the Fury that we looked at. You probably won't be scared for it! I think you saw them worser
59fury_208.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Matthew,
Thank you for the photo. You have already saved time..someone already took it all apart for you! And you have the family Sport Fury to copy as you re-assemble. I hoe you can find a decent storage spot.
Three or four years ago, I had a good windshield. I sold it for $100. I had another one with small bullseye and "fog" around the edges..I sold that last summer for $40. I sold it to a man with a four door sedan, so he doesnt need it, but it isnt worth shipping to you.
I think you should contact Michael Kotzman and Sandra Blankenburg..they are in Germany, but they might know where to find parts. Germany is closer to you than the USA. Also try to make friends with Mopar collectors in Scandinavia..especially Sweden. There are people there who import several cars each year..there is quite a demand for the Finned cars in Sweden.
If I could find a parts car around here, I would think I could get the windshield for $200? just a guess...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Matthew,
Go to the Forum-For Sale-see that a Savoy is being shippd to Germany..now if you can only get a 2ht windshield to put in the back seat, you would have affordable shipping!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yeah, that saved time. Lots of time!! The engine is also out.
I know those 2 in Germany. Mike is in the showcase and we met Sandra 2 years ago on a show. They have a 4dr Fury.
Shipping isn't a problem. We bought 2 bumpers and they are getting rechromed. They are in Colorado at Tony Dicenso's place. They can ship in the same box or whatever you need for it.
I'll try to find something in Sweden. If I could only write and understand that language. Maybe C-E can help with that. You see, help is everywhere!!!
We still need to find a storage place for it. Hope we can find it soon!
tomf

Post by tomf »

Hey guys, be advised the 59 Plymouth, Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler hardtops and convertible windshield is one of a kind. The 59 Imperial is different and the 59 Sedans and Wagons are different. The 57s & 58s will not fit our 59s, nor will a 1960. Make sure what you are asking for will fit before you spend big bucks on shipping. The last windshield I had I sold
it for $300 plus shipping.
Tom
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You'd think I'd have this straight by now, but frankly I don't, so I defer to Tom, leaving you with this information sent me today by Ron Waters;

1) There were no bubble windshields in 1957.
2) In 1958, the bubble windshields were installed in Chryslers, Dodges, and Desotos...in the two-door hardtops, four-door hardtops and convertible models only.
3) In 1959, the Plymouth hardtops and convertibles got bubble windshields.
Ron Waters calls these bubble windshields NAGS 453.

Tom, I always thought the 1958 "bubbles" would fit the 1959, but I cannot find my Parts Book, so I can't confirm that. The only windshield swap I ever made was to take one from a 59 Chry 2ht and install it in my 59 SF convertible. I then sold the two spares I had (one from the cut-up Boise car, and one from the Belv cvt).

Post by Guest »

Roger invoked my name, so I thought I clear things up before they get any more confusing.

NAGS 451 - 57 PDSC 2dr HTs and 4dr HTs & 58 P 2dr HTs and 4dr HTs

NAGS 453 ("bubble windshield") 57 thru 59 PDSC convertibles, 58-59 DSC 2dr HTs and 4dr HTs, 59 P 2dr HTs and 4dr HTs

All were available in clear, solex and solex shaded.

Ron
ronbo97

Post by ronbo97 »

That is my post above. It may be a good idea to disallow Guest posting.

Ron