What's your insurance experience?

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
Faulkner

What's your insurance experience?

Post by Faulkner »

I have insurance from American Collectors:

http://www.americancollectorsins.com/

It's fairly cheap, under $100 a year; car must be kept in a locked garage, only occasional use, etc. I've never had the need to file a claim, so I don't know how it is on that end of things.

I've tried in the past to get insurance from Hagerty's:

http://www.hagerty.com/

They're apparently more liberal about driving practices -- a friend of my has it, and uses his car as a daily driver. However, unless you lie, it's difficult to get! When I've applied, they've asked me how many kids I have, and how many cars I have. Because I have fewer cars than kids, they denied me the insurance -- despite the fact that they are away at school -- because they are potentially in need of a car to drive, and... I dunno... might be inclined to take Faulkner for a spin?!

Anyway, who's your insurer, and what's been your experience?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

I have insurance with Grundy. $100 annually, good coverage but with the usual restrictions - pleasure use only, such as car shows, cruises, etc. They don't want you driving car to work or using for errands; grocery, banking, etc. Haven't had to file a claim yet either so don't know how that end works. I checked with Hagerty a few years ago for my '71 Skylark convert and '77 Eldo. Talked with lady on phone who seemed anti-customer. She told me bodies had to be perfect and engines detailed???. Took my business elsewhere. Then when I got my Sport Fury, I checked with Hagerty again. When I mentioned I would like to drive car to work once or twice a month, fellow said "sorry, can't give you a quote". So again, took my business elsewhere. Once or twice a month here in Wis would have been 6 times max for the season. I live in a rural setting and maybe see 2 or 3 cars each morning on my way to work. But rules are rules, I guess. And, Dan, I have FIVE kids (4 rowdy boys and one tomboy girl) If I told Hagerty that, I think they would have hung up on me.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

While on subject of insurance....I have a friend who has (or had) a '58 Chev. He bought it last summer at the Iola Car Show auction. He had it parked at home in his garage. Recently a friend of his drove in his driveway (too fast), slid on icy driveway, crashed into closed garage door, hit Chevy, pushed it out thru rear of garage. (the guy was driving a big Dodge pickup) Car totalled. My friend has Progressive insurance. Progressive comes out to his house, looks at car and on the spot prints him out a check for $24,000. They have damage estimating and check printing capability in their mobile vans. Sounds like good service.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Here in Canada a lot of us insure with the "Silver Wheel Plan" its offered by various insurers here, Tony Lant is a well known agent here in the Toronto area.
For my Plymouth and my Chev i pay $227 for a yr,full coverage which is based on the appraised values of the vehicles.
Restrictions are the same,they dont want you driving it to work or using it to go shopping etc,but you can drive it any day,if i was to want to say drive it to the US for shows,cruises etc,they want you to call them and tell them youre going to do that.
They also give you immediate coverage on any antique vehicle you acquire,you just have to notify them and send them an appraisal for it within 30 days.

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

We went with Hagerty..We have only one child (age 8) at home. They did not hassle me at all. I was referred to them by a local agent who covers our daily drivers. Hagerty wanted several pics of the SF..but they were very relaxed about me setting the agreed-upon value of $25,000. We dont have perfect driving records (my wife had two collisions).
I am limited on its use..taking it to shows, etc. only. I dont recall yearly cost of the policy..my wife thinks it is 300-400/yr.