International Hybrid UFO

Your banter here!
mrtester

International Hybrid UFO

Post by mrtester »

It's all-new for 59 and not available in the USA! Actually I was looking for one of these to post. This is a 1959 Dodge Kingsway Deluxe from South Africa, which is actually a Plymouth with the Dodge front end clip bolted on to it. Yes, it's a right hand drive model, with Belvedere side trim included. The Plymouth instrument panel was used, and modified for right hand drive in this car, but I couldn't tell which logo was installed on the instrument cluster trim panel between the temperature and fuel gauges. And that looks like a V8 badge beneath the Kingsway script on the rear fin.
Most Mopar collectors refer to these cars as Plodges because of the mixture of brand-specific body hardware. I say these are hybrids that deserve to be displayed at vintage Mopar meets more often.
kingsway1.jpg
kingsway2.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Bernie! I hadn't seen a picture of a '59 Kingsway before -- not even in Benjaminson's book.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I believe someone on the forum has one. I believe it was Moparmike. Don't know if he's still here on that name.
He was from Germany. Don't know anything more
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Yes, Moparmike is still alive, and he is working on his reputation as "The world slowest Plymouth restorer" :lol: But he is doing a good job! Mike I hope you won't kill me next time I come by.

Besides, this is again one of these right hand steering wheels with this licence plate from Australia or South Africa.

Stefan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Sorry Guy’s, I was just to busy joking about Mike that I forgot completely my part. I've seen several, for at least 10 cars like the Kingsway in Europe and South America (Brasil). A couple of years ago I talked to one of the owners of an Kingsway an he told me that these cars were built in Canada and sold to Europe, Africa and South America but have never been sold officially to the US. As far as I remember I've seen also other combinations of bodies and front ends - for example an 59 Plymouth with and Desoto front end. If I can still find a picture I’ll post it.

Stefan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Sorry Guy’s, I was just to busy joking about Mike that I forgot completely my part. I've seen several, for at least 10 cars like the Kingsway in Europe and South America (Brasil). A couple of years ago I talked to one of the owners of an Kingsway an he told me that these cars were built in Canada and sold to Europe, Africa and South America but have never been sold officially to the US. As far as I remember I've seen also other combinations of bodies and front ends - for example an 59 Plymouth with and Desoto front end. If I can still find a picture I’ll post it.

Stefan
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

Yes, the Desoto Diplomat. That was a Plymouth with a U. S. DeSoto Firesweep front end. I have seen pictures of 57 and 58 models, including one seen on the Forward Look website recently. But no 59 models.
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

Allpar has this picture of a restored 59 Desoto Diplomat convertible in Britain, with slightly modified Belvy trim. The Allpar site has a page of various other Diplomats and Kingsways, some of which I've seen before in Jim Benjaminson's book.

http://www.allpar.com/world/photos/index.html
59diplomat.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

...such a serious look on that guy, yet such a silly "Christine-ification" of a Diplomat. What an impact the movie "Christine" has had on us all, one way or another!
A few years back I wrote to a Canadian fellow who was credited with snapping a photo of a 59 Diplomat sedan. He wrote back to tell me the car had been scrapped. Tragic. I find the "hybrids" ( export models) very interesting. Here is a homemade (non-factory) "hybrid" I spotted locally last year
im000890.jpg