backup lights switch

Looking for something? Post it here!
Faulkner

backup lights switch

Post by Faulkner »

I recently bought the kit to add backup lights. It has the two sockets with their connectors, and the bracket that mounts on the pushbutton assembly. The switch, however, is missing. I've located one, but the guy wants $25 for it.

Does anyone know the part number for the switch itself? I'd like to call around to a couple of places before I pay this. I tried looking in my parts book, but could only find the number for the standard shift switch. The part number for the package is 1887 606, as you can see from the attachment. (If someone has a switch they'd be interested in selling, that would work for me too! :) )

Dan
backup.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Do you mean the switch that is in the circle? It says "switch and cables"
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup, that's the one.

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

We got it! It's in our back-up light kit. Contact my dad about it. We already have one in our car
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oke, I will. Is it smaller than 79 cm? :wink:

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I hope so :wink:
Would be cool if that switch arrives in a mega huge box! I bet you would look like this: :shock:
Only not that yellow!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dan, did you get your switch? I am pretty sure I have a used one around here
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Dan, did you get your switch? I am pretty sure I have a used one around here
Roger, I didn't! The guy was high to start with, and he didn't actually have the part, his friend did; he wanted an extra $10 for the double shipping charges! I begged off...

If you have a used one, I'd gladly buy it from you.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: The guy was high to start with, and he didn't actually have the part, his friend did; he wanted an extra $10 for the double shipping charges! I begged off...
Oops -- I should be clear! This was a guy in the U.S. (I told Ron not to sell his switch to me, he had a complete kit I didn't want him to break up...)

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Makes perfect sense, Dan. I have two Reverse switches..one installed in a parts dash and another loose unit in the shed..the latter one is much easier to access and ship. I would send you the complete shifter unit..no sense in stripping it out of something I will never need or use. Guess I ought to test its' operability first! I also have junky tailight pods with Reverse lights still in them, if you can figure out how to remove them! Can you post a picture of your Kit? I'd like to see how they dealt with the retrofit of the sockets. At the factory, they machine-pressed them in...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote: Can you post a picture of your Kit? I'd like to see how they dealt with the retrofit of the sockets. At the factory, they machine-pressed them in...
Sure, I'll do that tonight. Say, do you think my pods might need holes drilled in them?

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

No, you won't have to drill holes. The pods have the holes there already, they have been plugged with spring-fingered plugs (if I remember correctly).
I put reverse lites in my last Plymouth, using aftermarket light sockets, purchased at the auto parts store, having springy-fingers on them. I will send you a picture.
Yes, I have a digital camera with movie mode but it was quite useless until my wife gave me a 512K memory card for Xmas. However, finding someone to photograph me while I make a fool outa myself might be a challenge!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Can you post a picture of your Kit? I'd like to see how they dealt with the retrofit of the sockets. At the factory, they machine-pressed them in...
Here's a pic (albeit, not a good one). Looks like they just have little fingers that snap into the socket...

Dan
socket.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

okay, what I expected, but wanted to be sure
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thought I'd complete this thread.
I sold Dan a used shifter pod with attached switch. I had to cut one wire, as it was permanently attached to the Disconnect block. The kit's Reverse lights will snap into holes which are already in the taillight housings (the holes have snap-in covers which are easily removed). Dan's trunk wiring harness should include the necessary plugs to add the Reverse lights. It is a relatively easy project.