Chop top?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Chop top?

Post by Faulkner »

I'm recording here, a conversation between Vinny and Matthew that's in the chat, and in email I was copied on - I want to make sure it doesn't get purged.
vinnymontes wrote:I am trying to find the code to whether I have a true convertible or if it was a chop top, the car does not have the frame which is odd. Here is the vin #, does anybody know if the code is here [for a convertible]: M253116628. I know the m is for 1959, the 2 is for 8 cylinder, the 5 is for Evansville...
Matthew Keij wrote:M-1959 / 2-Plymouth V8 / 5-Belvedere / 3: Evansville / 1: sequential number / 16628- 16628th Belvy build in Evansville
Matthew Keij wrote:Hi Vinny,

I just decoded your VIN in the chat.

Can you send me some pics of your car so we can see if it's a true convertible. I'll help you in any way I can.

Only way to know for sure is to get the build sheet from Chrysler historical but the convertibles have some specific parts.
vinnymontes wrote:Here you go...
59 Belvedere.jpg
59 Belvedere1.jpg
59 Belvedere 2.jpg
59 Belvedere 3.jpg
59 belvedere 4.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Re: Chop top?

Post by Dick Koch »

Pictures of the back seat area with the seat out would provide the answer. Floor, sides, trunk area, frame.and underside of floor area between rockers and frame rail.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

This is a real Belvy vert. I know the car!

It was customized in the 80's I believe and they removed all the side trim and gave it this color.
A dealer bought it 2 years ago and used the top frame for a different car. Believe it was a 57 Dodge vert
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
big m

Post by big m »

Bo Malefors had this car previously. He had offered it to me a few years ago.
In rust we trust!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I know a guy from the forward look group had it for sale about a year ago and after that it popped up at a place without the top frame.

Can't remember where it was
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”