dual quads?

Your banter here!
rogerh

dual quads?

Post by rogerh »

Hello,
Ed Eckerson, who readily admits being totally anal about 59 Plymouths, is going to put a dual-quad on his 361. He says this was "an option" in 1959. I have never seen this option in any 1959 manual. I imagine a dealer could have gotten his hands on a left-over 58 unit if a customer wanted one. But since it isnt in any official manual, I give Ed credit for "bending" his own strict standards. Have some fun!
Faulkner

Re: dual quads?

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Hello,
Ed Eckerson, who readily admits being totally anal about 59 Plymouths, is going to put a dual-quad on his 361. He says this was "an option" in 1959. I have never seen this option in any 1959 manual. I imagine a dealer could have gotten his hands on a left-over 58 unit if a customer wanted one. But since it isnt in any official manual, I give Ed credit for "bending" his own strict standards. Have some fun!
Ed's right -- I've heard this from my friend, Ed Ober, as well. It was a dealer-installed option. Myles Walker did this very thing to his SF when he owned it; the car is now in the possession of Tom Gerard (Big Sky, MT). Perhaps some day we'll have pix...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am no motorhead, but can a person just bolt on twice as many carburetors to a stock engine (no cam change, etc.) and get improved performance with no problems?
I went from 2-bbl to 4-bbl on my previous 59 Ply (a 318), which was a known factory option, but how about going from stock 4-bbl to 2x4 bbl? Does anyone know if the 1957-8 350 cid Fury engines are essentially identical to the 361's of 1959?
Excuse me if I am splitting hairs here, but after reading all of Ed's inquiries into the "correctness" of his 1959 engine, I just am wondering.
Are you out there, Ed?