Rear passenger hub

Got a question? This is the place to ask
ginog01

Rear passenger hub

Post by ginog01 »

Hi All,

Sorry I have not been on for some time. I have had a lot of things happening that I was not able to post or get together for the Carlisle show in years. I am hope that 2017 will give me time to catch up and see some of you at the show.

My question is concerning the back rear passenger hub. Can the lugs can be replaced individually or must I try to find a new hub? I broke off a couple of nuts due to not going in the right direction, they were R and I went the other direction stripping the bolt and had to cut of the nuts and cut into the lug. Appreciate any help and where to locate parts if needed to replace... ????

Thanks all. My best,

Gino

59 Plymouth Sport Fury !!
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
big m

Re: Rear passenger hub

Post by big m »

It may take a little searching, but you should still be able to change out the broken studs for RH thread replacements. These studs can be pressed out, and the new ones pressed in.

---John
In rust we trust!
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Hi John,

Would I be able to hammer them out? You are saying pressed out. Would I have to remove the hub and take to a shop and have them pressed out ? Probably a dumb question, but I have been in the garage in this 90 plus degree weather for the past two hours, brain fade!!!

Gino
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

big m wrote:It may take a little searching, but you should still be able to change out the broken studs for RH thread replacements. These studs can be pressed out, and the new ones pressed in.
Hmmm... I admit to being confused by this thread. On my drums, there aren't any studs - they are L/H bolts. I took Gino's comments to mean he had snapped off a couple of bolts that thread into the drum. If so, these can't be pressed out - they would have be drilled out. No? Or, were some drums for '59 produced with studs?

In any event, have you gotten the drum off yet, Gino? You will have to for any remediation, and that will take some doing. You will need to back off the shoes as far as you can, and get a big-*ss drum puller on there (I have one). There are YouTube videos on this, Google it if you haven't already. Not for the feint of heart.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:There are YouTube videos on this, Google it if you haven't already.
Here's a good one.
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Hi Dan,

Let me clarify, I apologize if this does not make sense :D ! There are five bolts coming out of the hub, two were changed along the way to R bolts, the other three were L bolts, my assumption was they were hammered out and replaced. As I tried to unscrew, I apparently went in the wrong direction and stripped the bolt, the nut spun freely and would not come off, I then took a dremel and cut the nuts off, which also cut into the bolt. Looking at the hub, there seems to be a way to pound out the bolts which go on from the rear of the hub. I have not removed the hub yet, as it is too Hot, ran out of juice :x ! Nest weekend will be attempt number two, possibly will post pictures for clarification from the group.

Thank you again for your time and responses!!

Gino
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Gino,

Here's my driver's side drum. You can see that I turn the bolts clockwise to remove, since they are "L" bolts. Clearly, the drum is threaded.

Are you saying that your drums were either drilled out and studs inserted, or that they came from the factory that way? You have studs, and not bolts?

John is right - drums with studs can have the studs pressed out out a machine shop. But if you've got bolts snapped off inside the drum, they will have to be drilled out. Either way, that sucka has to come off!
IMG_2137.JPG
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Correct, two were R and three were L's on the rear passenger wheel. The drivers side , both front and rear were L's. Can those be removed and replaced?
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Gino:

Do you have bolts (as shown in the video), or studs?
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

They do not come out like yours, the nut comes off and the bolt remains in the hub
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

I must have been using the wrong word, it would be studs,.... :?:
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Then you do indeed have studs. Yes, these can be pressed out at a machine shop - far less work, than drilling out the remnant of a bolt.

First order of business, will be to get the drum off. Do you have a puller, like in the YouTube video? If not, you are going to want to ask around out Lancaster way (plenty of MoPar gearheads in the vicinity).

And for Dr. Fifty-Nine - did some '59's come with studded drums? Or, does Gino have rehabs, or perhaps drums from a later year?
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

I do have the drum puller, it actually came off without it, just tapped with hammer on the corner and off it came! I assume the next thing would be to take the cotter pin off and take the hub off? Then take it to a machine shop and have them remove the studs and replace with correct R studs... :P
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup, thassit. Although, I'm puzzled about the studs. If studded drums were an option for '59, I don't see them in the parts manual (drums with bolts either, for that matter). So I don't know what the proper source will be for studs.
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

I'm sure my father in law had used other parts from cars he had. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. However, I am in love with the car and will work it out . I appreciate all of your help and anyone else. Have a great week and to be continued next weekend. Hopefully, it will be much cooler :)
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA