New owner from Reading PA

Emporium

New owner from Reading PA

Post by Emporium »

I recently purchased this 1959 Sport Fury. It was purchased new in Reading Pennsylvania and has lived its entire life in Reading. It was purchased new at Hettinger Bros Chrysler Plymouth. Three owners (two families) since new. Mostly original paint with 54k miles. Nice original documentation. I am hoping that you can interpret the data plate for me. Attached is a photo of the car as well as the plate. Thank you very much for your web site and for any assistance. Fred
'59 Sport Fury.jpg
Jet Black
Data plate.jpg
Data Plate
WDJ40

Re: New owner from Reading PA

Post by WDJ40 »

Welcome to this site. I am fairly new here as well.

There is a lot of technical information here that can be found using the search engine.
Any other details about your car? What options does it have and what motor does it have?

There are several Data plate experts here who can help you out plus Mathew maintains a database of Plymouth survivors.

Larry
WDJ40
'Get your motor runnin' Head out on the highway'
Looking for adventure' In whatever comes our way'

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Welcome aboard Fred, your car is beautiful and looks to be well kept. An amazing find, Matthew Keij in the Netherlands will welcome your data plate info and I'm sure will get back to you right away.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Emporium

Post by Emporium »

Thank you for the warm welcome. This Fury has the 318 CID with 260 HP. Thankfully it has been garage kept from new. Power steering, power brakes, AM push button radio, rubber bumper cushions front and rear, clear plastic seat covers which have done a great job of preserving the material, Mirror-Matic rear view mirror, all tinted original glass, remote adjustable left outer mirror, electric clock, locking fuel cap, etc. Interior is over the top gorgeous. Runs and drives very well. It does need a bit of TLC - and I'm looking forward to getting that work underway. It appear as if the original owner removed the dash glove box plaque - so I am in need of locating a plaque. Thanks again, Fred
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Sounds great fred. Clear plastic seat covers, lnteresting. I bought my green SF in 2005. It came with extra factory correct upholstery material in the trunk so I decided to order clear plastic covers from J. C. WHITNEY in Chicago. At he time I was talked into not using them. Fast forward 10 years. The cloth in the drivers seat pulled away from the vinyl so I had that seat redone and I installed the plastic covers. I was very wary that they would not fit properly but to my amazement they fit perfectly. I would have no qualms about ordering from them again.
Enjoy your car.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Welcome Fred! A remarkable specimen. I happen to know that Matthew (our resident '59 expert) is super busy at the moment because of work, but I am sure that by the weekend he will be back to you with a full decoding.

If not, I'll take a shot! I copied his database printouts while he was scarfing yet-another-cheesesteak during his last visit.

So the car lived its entire life in Reading. Are you, too, in Reading? That's a stone's throw from Upper Darby (outside Philly) where I live. I would love to pay a visit some time.

Welcome to the Forum!

Dan (owner of "Faulkner", from "The Sound and the Fury")
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Fred; Welcome,good bunch here!! Boy she looks like A beauty. Hop on board anytime Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Ok, let me see!

VIN breakdown:
M295103368

M: 1959
2: Plymouth, V8
9: Sport Fury
5: Build in Newark
103368: 3368th build Sport Fury in Newark

Date - 0416: build 16th of April 1959
Bdy (body) 292: Sport Fury hardtop
Pnt (paint) XA1: Iceberg white top and Jet black body
Trm (interior trim) 347: Red

Option codes:
293: torqueflite 3 speed automatic
301: power steering
403: remote control mirror (deluxe) with matching passenger side mirror

By looking at the pic of your car I can see you have the radio, rubber bumper guards and solex tinted glass as options.
Parts of your car has been repainted at least once, the rims and lower bumper valance should be argent.

Nice looking car!!! Post more pics please!

Just found out I had this one in my database.
Did you buy it from Mark W? He had the car since 1983 and stored it in 1990
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Emporium

Post by Emporium »

Hello Matthew. Thank you very much for the VIN breakdown. Greatly appreciated. Sadly, Mark passed away in 2014 and I recently purchased the SF from his widow. Mark was the third owner (his father being the 2nd owner). There are a lot of positives with this car, but it does have a couple of issues that will get addressed. You state that the interior trim code is Red. Attached is a photo of the interior seat and side panel material - a very beautiful blend of vinyl and cloth. Does this material have any specific designation - either officially or otherwise? Regards, Fred
Interior.JPG
Interior material
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

That is the correct Sport Fury only interior!
Looks to be in really great shape
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Emporium

Post by Emporium »

It shows that not many persons ever sat in this rear seat over the past 57 years! The front seat is almost as nice - it has had a clear plastic seat cover on it since new. Is there a term or phrase used for this interior color / material combination?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Fed - That material was specific for the Sport Fury. The material came in red, blue, black, green and copper. It is still available from SMS in Oregon. If you look closely at the material you should see a gold strand running thru it.
Dick